LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2007, 09:58 AM
BANNED
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
Read the directions.

Every scale I have ever been to at a truck stop has directions about what you need to do posted either before you pull onto the scale or at the other end once you are on them.

While many scales operate the same way, there are enough exceptions out there where you need to pay attention.

The only constant is that you NEVER slide you tandems while sitting on the scale.

Quote:
from what i was told once by someone at a place w/ a cat scale, you have to pull off, or it won't print.
Unless that is some option in the system that is not true. I have been to a few truck stops that have a booth set next to the scales and you take care of everything right there while sitting on the scale. Yes they were CAT scales.
This should explain everything.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxfJX7irZM0
Old 07-15-2007, 12:28 PM

wow thanks everyone for the overwhelming response
Old 07-15-2007, 12:49 PM
Senior Board Member

Dont forget to honk at the idiot who parks in front of the scales so he/she can "run in" and get that ever important sandwich at Subway.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:12 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Pull on scale. Make sure all axles are on the scale. Unless there is a sign stating to go to a specific CB channel, you need to push one of the buttons on the speaker outside your drivers door. Wait until the cashier answers. If they are busy, it might take a few minutes for them to answer. They will ask you for your truck number. Some will ask your trailer number as well as your company. Some may wait to gather that additional information until you get inside the truck stop. The cashier will tell you when they have captured your weight and tell you to pull forward or off the scale. Go park your truck and walk inside the truck stop. Go to the fuel desk and tell them you need your scale ticket. They usually pull them up by your truck number. If they didn't get your trailer number and company name, they will usually do so at this point. You pay the cashier and they hand you the weigh ticket. If you are legal you need do nothing further. If you are heavy on one or more axles you may need to slide the tandems on your trailer to get legal. You never want to slide the tandems on the scale. Since you are parked that should not be an issue. If you need to slide them, you will want to reweigh. Get on the scale and repeat the above steps. There is usually an additional charge for reweighing your truck. Most seem to charge about $1 per reweigh. Most of the time when you are on the scale the cashier will ask if this is a new or reweigh. Park, go inside for the new weigh ticket. If your weights are right this time, you are good to go.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:15 PM
Board Regular

CAT, Interstate, and Flying J scales are full platform scales, they can weigh all axles individually while sitting on the platform. Some independent truck stops have what looks like a full platform scale but you have to weigh each set of axles individually by weighing the steers first, moving forward, weighing the drives, and finally the rear tandems. and finally getting a total gross weight. Check at these independent ones first, because if you think it is a full platform and weigh and go inside to pay they will charge you for a total weight, then if you need a individual weight they will charge you again. So Beware.

The companies like CAT, Interstate, and Flying J that guarantee the weight to be accurate are only guaranteeing the total gross weight of the truck. Do not think if you get a overweight fine on an axle and the scale ticket said otherwise they will back you up. It is only for the total weight of the truck and trailer other wise you are SOL. Read the fine print on the scale ticket.

IMO the big three scales are all the same, the J, and Interstate charge a dollar less than CAT, but all the same thing. Some recharge you for a reweigh. Check with some of these independents because some will charge you a $1 a reweigh which I think is Bulls***, but hey were all out here for one thing, $$$.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:00 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneebone
IMO the big three scales are all the same, the J, and Interstate charge a dollar less than CAT, but all the same thing. The big three also do not recharge you for a reweigh. Check with some of these independents because some will charge you a $1 a reweigh which I think is Bulls***, but hey were all out here for one thing, $$$.
I've always been charged $1.00 for a re-weigh at any Cat, Interstate or Flying J scale.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:09 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneebone
IMO the big three scales are all the same, the J, and Interstate charge a dollar less than CAT, but all the same thing. The big three also do not recharge you for a reweigh. Check with some of these independents because some will charge you a $1 a reweigh which I think is Bulls***, but hey were all out here for one thing, $$$.
I've always been charged $1.00 for a re-weigh at any Cat, Interstate or Flying J scale.
You are probably right, I rarely use truck stop scales, and when I do I don't need to reweigh. I usually scale out at the company terminals.