User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2007, 01:01 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmate1577
My problem is not hitting the tight docks its hitting the dock with a football field's amount of room around me.

Funny how that works.
Amen to that.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:19 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I think where a lot of drivers get into trouble when backing is that they over steer. Try to watch what the trailer does as you steer and back. Sometimes you don't need to compensate that much to get it set up right. I would not worry too much about how many pull ups you need to do in order to get backed into a dock. The important thing is to not hit anything. We all get better the more we do things. I think you need to cut yourself some slack. When I am tired, I may need to do several pull ups. It can be frustrating, but it happens to everyone, no matter how long they have been out here. Some are better than others, but remember the more you do it, the more proficient you will become.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:34 PM
Senior Board Member

:lol: I cheat.

I set up just like everyone else. But if I'm going into a dock I don't get out and open the doors until after I have set up. That way I can check out my setup and look like an old pro who is just getting out to open his doors.

It helps to whistle and walk nonchalantly while you're at it. :lol:
Old 07-16-2007, 12:50 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aligator

I set up just like everyone else. But if I'm going into a dock I don't get out and open the doors until after I have set up. That way I can check out my setup and look like an old pro who is just getting out to open his doors.
Exactly....it lets you "visualize" the task at hand. You have a better feel for the slot because believe it or not....your brain processes your surroundings better at ground height, and walking it gives more information.

Quote:
8) Yep, and what they don't know, won't hurt them!! 8) 8)

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:19 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
I think where a lot of drivers get into trouble when backing is that they over steer.
Definitely on this one GMAN. This has especially been a HUGE problem for me as someone who pulled 45' trailers his whole career, then finally got in front of a 53' a decade behind the rest of you. I wanted to oversteer bigtime, and do everything way too fast, and way too much. It took me many tries to learn to sit back and not do anything until it needed doing, and to do everything smaller than I wanted.

For my next job, I'll probably be pulling pups, so I get to look like a total dimwit again, when I have to do everything 10 times faster and harder.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:11 PM
Board Regular
Default Yes

Hallelujah GMAN.

I'm far far far from the best backer around. I just get it in the dock and dont hit sh*t. Keeps me happy. However the biggest mistake i see trainees and other new drivers make is oversteering. I was told one school actually teaches it. They get the cab at 90 and then cant figure out why they cant bring it back around. Then they're crooked so they spin the wheel all the way the other way and both the cab and trailer are screwed up. Dont oversteer.

Couple things i teach trainees.. some of which they've taught me.

1 "See" the arc your tandems need to travel to hit the dock perfectly. Then use that arc.
2 When you're going in crooked try pulling up the Opposite way you think you should to fix it.
3. Understeering is fixable. oversteering isnt.
4. GOAL GOAL GOAL GOAL GOAL. Non-goal=not impressive. Goal= real trucker
5. Ask someone to watch your blindside/back/whatever
6. Dock lines arent always straight. Arent always aligned with the dock etc. Remember a 4wheeler painted them thinking he scored on a slack job.
7. Every truck is different. I drive a 387. Godawful turn radius. Long truck. Watching a volvo 670 daycab back in probably isnt gonna help my setup...
8. Some docks just kick your butt! Theres one in charlotte nc that takes me a half hour or more. Every time. Daycabs one shot it.

8. Try this. Use a rock or two. Or trash laying around whatever. Drop them where your tandems need to be. Or to "extend" the dock lines. Or to mark angles.. .whatever. That one trick has helped me more than anything on some seriously insane docks.

And btw you're far from alone.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:53 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aligator

If I don't open my doors as soon as I get to the receiver, I get to pull forward again to open them
Old 07-22-2007, 02:47 AM

I want to thank all of you for all the good replys. They have been very helpful. Please, keep them coming.

I'll tell you what really chaps my backside. When I've had a tough time backing and have had to do many pull ups, and I finally get it in there.Then the forklift operator tells me that it's off and he won't be able to unload it like that. They seem sincere but, sometimes I think their messing with me. Because from the outside it looks like they should be able to get it. So, I walk back to the truck mumbling and cussing and move it to what almost seems like the very same spot, and then they go ahead and unload it. Am I the only one this has happened to or do you know what I'm talking about?

P.S. What does Btw mean?
Old 07-22-2007, 02:50 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORN2DRIVE
I want to thank all of you for all the good replys. They have been very helpful. Please, keep them coming.

I'll tell you what really chaps my backside. When I've had a tough time backing and have had to do many pull ups, and I finally get it in there.Then the forklift operator tells me that it's off and he won't be able to unload it like that. They seem sincere but, sometimes I think their messing with me. Because from the outside it looks like they should be able to get it. So, I walk back to the truck mumbling and cussing and move it to what almost seems like the very same spot, and then they go ahead and unload it. Am I the only one this has happened to or do you know what I'm talking about?

P.S. What does Btw mean?
by the way
Old 07-22-2007, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORN2DRIVE

P.S. What does Btw mean?

If they can get the dockplate down, they can unload you.

Lots of good advice here. The most helpfull to me when I was new was to watch other drivers, and make adjustments accordingly. I would also practice in the back row of the truckstop when I had some time to kill.