User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2007, 12:31 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

You would probably have to go through orientation with SNI regardless of your license status. I'm sure there have been a few policy changes and updates in regards to federal laws, etc.

You'll probaby go out with a trainer, but it sounds like you shouldnt have a problem with that and you'll probably only be out maybe a few days as opposed to 2 weeks or more for a new hire.

But if I were you, I'd stick to something local especially with a family or use your degree for something more lucrative.

The way trucking is going, Waffle House has a better future it seems, these days/ :wink:
Old 07-14-2007, 01:24 AM

hahaha oh no not the Waffle House!
Local would be harder it seems due to me not having experience they are looking for.I can still driving around and ask all the local companys wouldn't hurt thats for sure..
I'm keeping open mind towards other companys besides schneirder.the ones i posted above this posts.
I had another question and i'm not looking for sympathy or anything.I went thru four deaths in one year ..grandma/granpa/mother-in law and my aunt ,3 due to the Cancer and well thats all i'll say.
and we had to go thru selling split up cleaning up remolding the houses.well my wife worked as she always had and i took on all the work and i did side jobs too.
Now i'm trying to figure out how to put this on my resume or when i'm filling out the app for a company.

My life's been a wreck past 4yrs and me and my wife are all about getting stuff back on track..no matter what it takes ..thats my drive!
Old 07-14-2007, 02:31 AM
Senior Board Member

I am not a recruiter but you may try getting a nortarized
( I know I butchered that word up) letter with all this time on it. That may work to back up your time away. This is just a guess though.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:51 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Heading back into Trucking

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver67373
I'm not knocking trucking by any means but if you're in college and have the opportunity to finish it then do it! Getting that degree will open up many more opportunities for you....
Pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft!

Here are two diplomas. Guess which one of these opened up the most opportunities for me.

This one:

Or this one:

I've just been around this bush again, 10 years later. I've beaten my life story to death in other threads, and I won't get into all the wherefores and whys of my situation. The bottom line is as simple as this: That top piece of paper is an amusing wall decoration that cost my parents about $40,000, and that bottom piece of paper has made me $400,000 so far.

QED.

On the bright side, I was under my trailer today, with the mechanic. I was watching him swap out a brake chamber, since he didn't shoo me away, and I had nothing better to do than hand him tools and talk to him. I looked back at my truck, sitting in the shop, AGAIN (because of their damn trailers,) and I realized how amusing I find it to be as good at this stuff as I am. Yet somehow I have apparently stumbled onto a completely improbable, but undeniably viable career.

So I say to the OP that if he really wants to drive, he should drive. College doesn't guarantee you a damn thing anyway, and there are millions of fresh nubile young kiddies who will work for a fraction of what we make as drivers. When I went in pursuit of a "real job at last," I was going to have to be willing to accept at least a 40% pay cut just to get myself into a tie every day. Not to mention the ridiculous commute I was considering, which would have made the pay cut hurt that much worse.

One of these days, I'd like to get that fancy shoes and tie job craving out of my system once and for all, but for now, I'm making a good living doing something I'm good at.

I also have tons and tons of employment options. Most of them suck, but not all of them. If I want to be a technical writer, I have two options. If I want to be a teacher, I have one option. If I want to be a truck driver, I can think of one, two, three places that are at the top of my list to start courting for a job if things start to go sour where I am now, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. Having just gotten laid off from a job I expected to keep forever, and having spent three months trying to find my way into anything but trucking, I have to say I've come full circle, and I fully appreciate the extent of opportunity available to me in this business. I won't have to go bankrupt as long as I keep this up.

Staring at the prospect of bankruptcy sucks.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:59 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You can never have too much education. An education gives you options. You may or may not want to continue driving a truck long term. You don't need a degree to drive, but should you decide that trucking isn't for you or health concerns cut your driving career short, a degree can help you find a better position. Besides, finishing your education makes you a more well rounded person. Whether you can make more money using your degree in another profession depends on your career choice.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:52 AM

Gman education is great! but its not free and i can see where you would say stay in school but that option is about over and i have to find a job...

I'm a welder by trade and i also have a journeyman card from 2 diff trades
local union 172 international ironworkers union -Journeyman structual welder
local 292 international sheetmetal workers union-Journeyman fitter
I can go back to them anytime if i paid dues for suspensions of dues.
so i'm a little burnt out on learning for another 4yrs.

I don't want that no more and i can be highly educated and be unemployed.when i first went to college i was excited and anxious to learn but how am i going get that job without the experience.

Its the same as Trucking i believe ,cuz here i sit with a full blown CDL-AX w/hazmat/air brakes and 17 states no accidents/felionies/Dui's....No tickets either lol
so i'm educated in trucking but without the experience everyone requires.
I'm not looking to make big bucks i can do that in the unions.i want to do waht i want to do in life and i want to drive and eventually own a truck ,but thats after i get 2yrs under my belt and review things more.

i justs don't want to spend $20,000 for college and find out all i did was repeat what is happening to me now ...and in 4 or 5 yrs i will enter the age discrimnation phase of my life.
so its great to watch those movies and happy stories about being in college and getting that job we all dream of .but in my Reality thats like someone blowing sunshine up my butt justs to get me to sign up.

so thx for the help but i need reality answers and real world ideas.

I applied to a bunch of companys and no calls but from J.B hunt saying you need recent experience...i know they didn't read anything in my app ..it was all automated respones.....b/c i posted all info.