User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2007, 01:08 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default CDL training?

My family member already has his CDL. He got it in 1997. Well, he never got into the trucking indusrty, but he spent all the money at United States Truck Driving School. What a waste of money, if you're gonna wait til now to go into trucking. Anyways, SWIFT someway or another found out about him and wants to hire him. They've been calling him for about a month now, and he's not sure if he should go. I told him the bad things that I've heard about them. But he thinks thats all he can get. What do you think? He also believes that he may have to go through the training again since it been so long since he had the training. Plz give me some advice to pass on to him. Also, I've heard that SWIFT isn't a very good company to go with, if you dont have to. Is this true? I'd hate for him to start with them if he could have a better experience with another company. I'm all ears.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:28 AM

At the very least he'll have to take a refresher course, More likely he'll have to go out with a trainer for a while. I don't think Swift is be too bad because too many people work for them. I just don't like the slow trucks. I've talked to several drivers about them and they were happy.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:27 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Restart

"SWIFT someway or another found out about him and wants to hire him." A CDL is a public record. Anyone interested in that info can find it including insurers and aggressive recruiters. Find out if the "recruiter" is, in fact, a Swift recruiter or one who works on commission like a headhunter. l speculate it is the latter. Due to the amount of time that has passed since going to school, you family member will probably have to repeat a school. BOL
Old 07-18-2007, 04:15 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwill
My family member already has his CDL. He got it in 1997....
Yikes--that's 10-years ago!

The only reason he's thinking about going OTR now is because Swift called him???

Unless he hates his job, he might want to rethink this for maybe...say...another 10-years! :P :lol:

All kidding aside, he seems a bit indecisive on what to do....Make sure he wants to proceed...if there's any hesitiation on his part--better to wait until he's sure that this is what he wants to do.