User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2007, 05:46 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Life in the granny lane

OK, I have been driving for 6 months now and I think I am defective or something.

SPEED
First of all I drive the speed limit. I don't pace other trucks. I don't go a few mph over. Even in Ohio, I drive the speed limit. I also get passed by every truck on the road. Even JB Hunt flies by me in Ohio.

CONSTRUCTION
In a construction zone I obey the posted speed. If there are lanes shifting I may even go up to 5mph slower. I also get passed by every truck on the road. Even JB Hunt flies by me in construction zones.

MOUNTAINS
On a 6% grade I go down in 8th gear with full jake. The problem is I am only going about 40 miles per hour. This one really isn't my fault because 9th gear takes me up to 60-65mph. I just don't feel safe driving down a mountain at 65mph. I also get passed by every truck on the road. Even JB Hunt flies by me on mountain declines.

EXIT RAMPS
I take exit ramps at the posted recommended speed. I saw a Werner truck take a 40mph ramp at 70. I could have sworn he was going to turn it over.

Am I being too worried? I read all the time about the death of a driver that was going too fast. Is it my newbie-ness, or my safe driving coming out? It's not that I drive with fear, but caution. I also see no need to drive for free for a few days by risking a ticket.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:42 AM
Board Regular
Default Re: Life in the granny lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerian
OK, I have been driving for 6 months now and I think I am defective or something.

SPEED
First of all I drive the speed limit. I don't pace other trucks. I don't go a few mph over. Even in Ohio, I drive the speed limit. I also get passed by every truck on the road. Even JB Hunt flies by me in Ohio.

CONSTRUCTION
In a construction zone I obey the posted speed. If there are lanes shifting I may even go up to 5mph slower. I also get passed by every truck on the road. Even JB Hunt flies by me in construction zones.

MOUNTAINS
On a 6% grade I go down in 8th gear with full jake. The problem is I am only going about 40 miles per hour. This one really isn't my fault because 9th gear takes me up to 60-65mph. I just don't feel safe driving down a mountain at 65mph. I also get passed by every truck on the road. Even JB Hunt flies by me on mountain declines.

EXIT RAMPS
I take exit ramps at the posted recommended speed. I saw a Werner truck take a 40mph ramp at 70. I could have sworn he was going to turn it over.

Am I being too worried? I read all the time about the death of a driver that was going too fast. Is it my newbie-ness, or my safe driving coming out? It's not that I drive with fear, but caution. I also see no need to drive for free for a few days by risking a ticket.
Hey spence, mind if i ask how old you are? things will change with age and experience, just hang in there.

Like your tag line by the way... :lol:
Old 07-09-2007, 06:52 AM
Board Regular

I am 33.

And I don't want to change. That's the problem. I feel I am driving safe by obeying speed limits, and not being reckless (tailgating, speeding, etc.). That's why I feel this industry may not be for me.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:53 AM
Board Regular

Spencerian you just keep doing what you're comfortable doing. Don't let others dictate how fast you show be travelling. I've had comments made to me over the CB about how slow I'm going down steep grades. I don't even acknowledge their comments. I travel at what I'm comforable driving. I want to end at the bottom of a mountain intact and my truck as well. I've seen too many in a hurry speeding only to end up on their sides or worse. You just worry about yourself and your truck and being safe.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:55 AM
Board Regular

I disagee Spencerian. This industry DOES need more drivers like you and not the hotdoggers. We need to show the public we are responsible drivers and concerned about our safety and the safety of others travelling around us. Right? Right!!
Old 07-09-2007, 07:55 AM
Senior Board Member

do what you gotta do and don't worry about all of us behind you... We will eventually pass and forget all about you until we hit that next slow poke :lol:
Old 07-09-2007, 08:04 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:

SPEED

CONSTRUCTION

MOUNTAINS

EXIT RAMPS

Don't let all the BBRs and CB Rambos get to you. You are the Captain of your ship, run it how you feel comfortable.

I'm 27 and I drive like you.

I go a bit above posted in CA with good conditions.

Depending on how I'm loaded I usually take ramps at posted to 5-10mpg bellow posted.

I find the sweet spot for holding steady on downgrades. Ballpark is 45-55 depending on the load, tractor and road conditions and keep both feet on the floor, adjusting speed with the hi-low toggle on the jake.

Paranoia is a good thing.

I can always smell the guys who take Donner too fast and every month or so I see some one who creates a car-b-que by really smokin' em.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:20 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I am 33.

And I don't want to change. That's the problem. I feel I am driving safe by obeying speed limits, and not being reckless (tailgating, speeding, etc.). That's why I feel this industry may not be for me.
Spencerian: It is good to see an honest, open post from you. What you wrote tells all of us here much more about you and NOW maybe you can get some information that will help you in your new profession.

1) You don't have to speed to make money.

2) ALWAYS drive with-in your comfort zone.

3) You can go down a hill a thousand times too slow; you can only go down it too fast once.

It is nice to see someone your age that knows his/her limits. Most 23 year olds are the ones I see taking a chance with their ( and our ) lives. ( And yes, those BBRs that think they own the road too ) :evil:

I'm going to be honest with you, with your work history of changing companies so often, you better stick where you are and make it work there. The quality of the companies that will take you will only go down from here. Start with your dispatcher and work up from there. Always being respectful to all involved. I'm sure others will chime in and give you more advice and hints that will help you.

Ridge
Old 07-09-2007, 09:52 AM
Board Regular

Quote:

SPEED

CONSTRUCTION

MOUNTAINS

EXIT RAMPS

You're doing the right thing, and there is an upside to it.
You will keep your driving record clean, and in about a couple of years, with clean record, no accident, you will be able to pick your job,
from the TOP SHELF.
Keep it up!
Old 07-09-2007, 11:18 AM
Senior Board Member

I drive the exact same way. I see no reason to speed through life, I will still get to my destination , and I will still run plenty of miles. Personally I dont mind the granny lane, its a more relaxing ride mentally and physically and safer IMHO.

I was coming down Monteagle last year and some BBR on a CB was boasting that "I've been down this mountain 200 times" and talking alot of bunk about slow drivers on the mountain, and all the "newbs" in the brake check area.

My response to BBR was "I've shaved 200 times but it doesnt mean I wont get cut the 201st time"

I especially find it funny that the BBR's equate driving safely with being a newb. Reminds of when I was out on my bike one time and some "squid" on a sportbike wearing nothing but a t-shirt and shorts pulled some bonehead maneuver and passed me over a double yellow blind curve and damn near hit two other riders. We got a light and I looked at this idiot and I said "WTF is your problem?" He looks at me and says with a complete commitment to stupidity "well........its obvious you are new rider"
I've been riding 25 years, and this kid was maybe 20 years old. His reasoning was that because I was armored from head to toe, that this was a sign of a new rider.

Its really no different in the trucking industry. Being safe these days is considered wrong by some segments of the industry.