User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2007, 06:13 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default medical/health insurance

Micheal Moore's new movie, Sicko, is out in theaters this week. The movie portrays America's broken health care system, and the fact that even insured workers have inadequate health care coverage. There was one guy in the movie, i forget his name, who was covered through Humana via his place of employment. He paid his premiums on time for I think 15 years. He became sick and needed a pancreas or he would have died.:sad: Humana denied the surgery. Micheal Moore exposed them for their denial, so he eventually was granted the surgery he desperately needed. I'm not a truck driver as of yet, but I would like to know does the trucking industry as a whole provide good health/medical coverage? Has anyone had a good experience with their insurance because they or someone in their family needed major medical surgery? How expensive/inexpensive is medical insurance provided by most major trucking companies?
Old 07-01-2007, 06:34 AM
Senior Board Member

Funny- I would never expect anyone else to pay for my health insurance. When I was a company driver, the company provided health insurance at a cheap rate as a BENEFIT. And it was just that- a benefit for working there. Not an entitlement. Now I am an O/O and it's not provided for me. It's something I pay for for myself.

People think that the government should provide health care. If our health care system is supposed to be broken now, can you imagine what will happen if you get the government involved? No thank you- I prefer my health care issues to be kept between me, the insurance company and the doctor/hospital.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:35 AM
Senior Board Member

Like any industry, the health coverage in the transportation industry is all over the place. Some of it is good, some fair, some not worth the premiums at all. Then the costs are all over the place as well.

While insurance companies can be a PITA when it comes to paying out, one thing to keep in mind that it is the company you are working for who more often than not sets up coverage limits, exclusions to what is covered, etc.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:28 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Rates and coverage will vary from one carrier to another. Some carriers may have more than one plan from which to choose. Michael Moore only likes to show things from his perverted point of view. You can use statistics to show most anything you want. He and others want to force national healthcare on us. Personally, I want less government involved in my life, not more. When I grew up, we didn't have so much government involvement in our lives. We also didn't have so many people who would sue at the drop of a hat. We could actually afford to go to the doctor and pay the bill ourselves. Much of the cost of medical care is a direct result of litigation and excessive government regulations. If we paid less taxes we would have more money to buy things for ourselves. Personally, I would like to see a government about 1/3 the current size. 8)
Old 07-01-2007, 02:54 PM
Senior Board Member

I wouldnt believe a word Michael Moore says.
And if you want a preview of Univerisal Healthcare..........go to the DMV without an appt.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:04 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

As someone who is on Medicare the closest the Goverment does offer to Universal health care I have something to offer. I feel it is not to bad overall care the hospitals are required to accept it or they lose their contracts with the Goverment for other stuff and that would be the key for the universla health care syustem. However do not get me started on Bushes giveaway plan called Medicare part D that was the plan written by the dug companies and insurance compaines and it SUCKS THE BIG ONE. Right now I am again in the freaking dounut hole called the second tier of coverage till I pay the next 2500 dollars in prescipican costs then and only then will they chip in 90% I should get out of the hole about december. Right now I am spending around 500 a month on my meds and it stinks tough choice keep having seizures or feed my kids.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:29 PM
Senior Board Member

Sheesh. I tried to stir the pot with my reply and you all are civil. What's wrong with you people!
Old 07-01-2007, 10:07 PM
Senior Board Member

It's hard to stir the pot with truth and logic. :lol: :wink:
Old 07-01-2007, 10:15 PM
Senior Board Member

Work for a union company.

Teamster health, vision & dental benefits are awesome.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:32 PM
Board Regular

I lived in New Zealand for a couple of years and government health care sucks big time. Fractured my ankle and no one took an x-ray. Just told me to stay off it for a few days. Several years later I sprained my ankle back here in the States. Doctor took an x-ray and said how long ago did I fracture my ankle. Had no idea it was fractured in New Zealand, because to save money they just guessed it was sprained and sent me on my way. Still have problems with that ankle from time to time.

Also, no private rooms. Hospital wards with 8 to 20 people in them. Much cheaper that way. Emergency rooms. No way. Only way to hit an emergency room is on an ambulance. Get sick and you will get the cheapest drug first. Not the best drug. Hope it works.

Doctor screws up and don't even think about suing. They are employed and insured by the government. Think they will let you sue the federal government? Minor knee surgery. Here you will wait a couple of days. New Zealand 6 months. To save money they ration health care. Younger people first. Eldery go to the end of the line, because they have had long lives. Why waste money on someone who only has a few years to live.

Who wants to deal with the largest HMO in the world. The United States of America. No choice if you aren't happy. Can't change insurance companies. If you think government health care is so great think about the soilders who were living in the hospital in Washington D.C. with mold on the walls, rats, and paint peeling off the walls. Right under the noses of our elected officials. NO THANKS