Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: help with speed trap

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdad7
i am a fairly new driver about nine months under my belt

i got caught in a speed trap leaving adair county in ok the other day

when leaving the town on 69 n there are three progressively increasing spead signs 45/55/65 in between the 45 and 55 i started to accellerate to reach spead and about 10 or 20 ft before the 55mph sign the "nice" leo tagged me at 58 he caught me about a mile out of town and pulled me over

now the ticket kinda low in my opinion was only 120 dollars but like a good mafia member he was nice enough to let me know that for an extra 50 bucks i can defer the ticket and if they don't tag me again for 30 days the ticket goes away and does not go on my record

now i do belong to one of those legal plans for drivers but considering the price of the ticket is it even worth fighting ....and has anyone ever used one of adair or ok deferments do they actually honor them

ps i want to start a boycot of ok whenever possible i will no longer spend money or visit the state in my personal vehicle ...granted i am still a little angry in 12 years of driving this is my first ticket ...but i was craving pasta after the leo left
Now this is to funny.
NOT that you got the ticket..but that I just passed through that particular stretch of road yesterday morning at 6 AM. Even after driving all night to make my delivery at 7:30AM in Pryor, I saw the old reefer unit on the left, just as I was approaching the 45 mph sign(south-bound), that said " TRUCK DRIVER'S, YOU ARE NOW ENTERING A SPEED TRAP!.....YOUR WELCOME!" I had already slowed to 50 before seeing the reefer and it's sign...so I slowed right down to 35 before hitting the 45...and waved when I saw the Cop sitting behind the bushes beyond the 45mph sign. I noticed a van sitting on the southside of town, spotted right by the 45 limit sign, that advised north-bound traffic of the same information...only it didn't have the "Your Welcome" part.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:59 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0iv
I respectfully disagree. I've had several speeding tickets in my time and I have yet to have an increase in my insurance because of of them.
I got so many tickets (two in one year) once upon a time that my company's insurance gave them 30 days to replace me. I had to grovel a lot to keep my job, and I knew one more ticket, and I was history. When I went to renew my CDL a few years later, they told me I had to take some tests. Some tests turned out to be not only the CDL exam all over again, but also the high school driver's ed test all over again, updated 20 years. What fun. There were still questions on there that I wasn't sure how to answer after years of being on the road, because I had never run into those weird situations, like left turn on red, or because I forgot the arcane right-of-way rules (the vehicle with the most wheels and/or the tallest tires always has the right-of-way. )

In spite of all that, my personal car insurance didn't change perceptibly. I really don't think they care about anything except claims they have to pay. If you don't get their attention, they probably don't bother to check at all, as long as you mail in your premiums in a timely fashion.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:42 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD60
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0iv
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD60
Pay the extra 50 and after 30 days it will be done with. NEVER just pay for a ticket. ANY ticket that shows up on your MVR will increase your auto insurance by a 3rd or more . Just make sure you have the deffered agreement SIGNED and IN WRITING.
I respectfully disagree. I've had several speeding tickets in my time and I have yet to have an increase in my insurance because of of them. Just the normal increase of rates and never more than a 5%.

kc0iv

So your rates increased,didn't they? It is always better to fight a ticket or defer it to keep it off your record than to just pay it and have it showing up on your MVR. A 5% increase can add up to hundreds of dollars within a year.
I guess I didn't myself clear. The increases I referred was the annual rate increases. Which most insurance have. Secondly, I pay my insurance annually (one big check, once time a year) so any increase would be reflected one time not several times per year.

In fact most of the rate increases were due to when we moved from one city to another city or we moved from city living to country living.

In addition I was referring to your statement:
Quote:
ANY ticket that shows up on your MVR will increase your auto insurance by a 3rd or more .
I have NEVER had a increase any where near a 30% increase in rates. And as I said above never more than 5% and that had nothing to do with my speeding tickets. If I ever got an increase anywhere near a 30% increase I'd be looking for a different insurance company.

kc0iv