Old 06-30-2007, 12:21 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by inmate1577
Well I can do a post trip, but it is rather irrelevant. So lets see, I stop for the night after a long day. I find a bad tire on the trailer. It has to be changed, no doubt about it. Yet, I have about 2 hours left on my 14 for the day. Now I have so spend 30 min on the phone (hopefully) to get someone to come out to fix the tire. Of course this has to be logged as "on duty, not driving" And lets hope that Mr. Tireguy gets there before I go over my hours and lets hope he gets there before I go to sleep.

I have discovered that problems at the end of the day can easily be remedied at the beginning of the day. And since a**holes like to pull the handles on 5th wheels and tandems (which has happened to me) its wayyyyyy more important to check these things before I hit the road (which I do) and put the public at peril. I am not putting anyone at peril if I'm parked for the night so therefore I do not do Post-trips.

When I'm stopped for the night I dont have to worry about DOT inspections or placing anyone at risk because the truck is NOT moving.
You cannot run out of hours when you are sitting still. All of that would be on-duty and therefor not be effected by the14 hour rule. It would be smarter to get the work done during the post trip period because it would not effect your next day in the least.

Our fleet had a rash of bad problems the last couple of days. Since the rain has been never ending (19 inches in the area in the last couple of days). We hada driver call up talking about vibrations under power.. turned out to be the rear most U-joint. Either the combination of not enough maintanence or the greaseworms are really bad this year! The rear U- joint was burned to a crisp! Then last night another less attenive driver had the same U-joint (different truck) actually burned up, came apart and destroyed the driveshaft, airlines, and three airbags... :roll:
Yes, you can run out of your 14hrs just sitting. Anything that is work related is "On duty , not driving" that includes sitting at a loading dock getting loaded or waiting for a repair, its all work related.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:26 PM
Senior Board Member

[quote="inmate1577"]
Quote:
Yes, you can run out of your 14hrs just sitting. Anything that is work related is "On duty , not driving" that includes sitting at a loading dock getting loaded or waiting for a repair, its all work related.
There is no limit on WORK and there never has been. You can legally WORK 24 hours a day. You just cannot DRIVE again until you have a 10 hour break. After the proper break you can DRIVE 11 hours in a 14 hour period after which you must not DRIVE again until you take a 10 hour break. It is the break that gives you your driving time. HOS rules is about access to the steering wheel. nothing more. you are not breaking any HOS rules by WORKING.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:53 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Sounds like someone needs to go back to school to learn the HOS and the logbook again.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:54 PM
Senior Board Member

That has always been the one rule that has been the most misunderstood in the HOS. It used to be the 15 hour rule and now it is the 14 hour rule. People think that means you can not work after that time period when it says you can not longer drive after that hour until you have your break.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:52 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman932003
Quote:
Sounds like someone needs to go back to school to learn the HOS and the logbook again.
Psssst... Fozzy didn't write that... :P
Old 06-30-2007, 04:10 PM
Board Regular

[quote]
Quote:
Fozzy wrote:

There is no limit on WORK and there never has been. You can legally WORK 24 hours a day. You just cannot DRIVE again until you have a 10 hour break. After the proper break you can DRIVE 11 hours in a 14 hour period after which you must not DRIVE again until you take a 10 hour break. It is the break that gives you your driving time. HOS rules is about access to the steering wheel. nothing more. you are not breaking any HOS rules by WORKING.
PSSSSST, your right, this is what Fozzy wrote.

When a white army battles Indians and wins, itis called a great victory, but if they lose itis called a massacre.Chiksika, Shawnee
Old 06-30-2007, 08:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah........you.
Unless you are under the delusion that you have 14 hours to work AND 11 hours to drive. Its a combination of both. Cannot driver after the 11th and cannot work after the 14th.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:09 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah........you.
Unless you are under the delusion that you have 14 hours to work AND 11 hours to drive. Its a combination of both. Cannot driver after the 11th and cannot work after the 14th.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I hate to say this, but you ...inmate, apparently haven't spent much time dealing with HOS..... but the fact is this: You cannot exceed 11 hours of driving in a 14 hour day, nor can you drive after the 14th hour no matter when your driving started, BUT you can "work" at NON-DRIVING endeavours for as many hours as you want. You can work 200 hours straight...if you can stay awake and alive that long, BUT you cannot DRIVE until you have a 10 consecutive hour break, and have hours on the 70 to drive. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:23 AM
Senior Board Member

Unfortunately you are still wrong
Hours of Service, simply stated:

Drivers may drive up to 11 hours instead of 10 hours, but are limited to 14 hours in a duty period.
The 14- hour duty period may not be extended with off-duty time for meal and fuel stops, etc. Only the use of a sleeper berth can extend the 14-hour on-duty period.Each duty period must begin with at least 10 hours off-duty, rather than eight.
The 60 hours on-duty in 7 consecutive days, or 70 hours on-duty in 8 consecutive days, remains the same, but drivers can “restart” the 7/8-day period by taking at least 34 consecutive hours off-duty.

Once again........ONLY THE USE OF A SLEEPER BERTH CAN EXTEND THE ON DUTY PERIOD. Most companies do accept the "sleeper berth" as legitiimate if you are at a shipper getting loaded, or sitting on the interstate waiting for a repair or present for the repair and neither will the DOT.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:35 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Unfortunately you are still wrong
Hours of Service, simply stated:

Drivers may drive up to 11 hours instead of 10 hours, but are limited to 14 hours in a duty period.
The 14- hour duty period may not be extended with off-duty time for meal and fuel stops, etc. Only the use of a sleeper berth can extend the 14-hour on-duty period.Each duty period must begin with at least 10 hours off-duty, rather than eight.
The 60 hours on-duty in 7 consecutive days, or 70 hours on-duty in 8 consecutive days, remains the same, but drivers can “restart” the 7/8-day period by taking at least 34 consecutive hours off-duty.

Once again........ONLY THE USE OF A SLEEPER BERTH CAN EXTEND THE ON DUTY PERIOD. Most companies do accept the "sleeper berth" as legitiimate if you are at a shipper getting loaded, or sitting on the interstate waiting for a repair or present for the repair and neither will the DOT.
Wrong, try again. Please provide specific "guidance" that limits the driver to a 14 hour day while on line 4 or just 70 hours. Thank you. Here's a hint: No one said anything about "extending" the 14 hour period.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.