User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2007, 08:52 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Interstate Dist. Trucking Company?

Was recently denied entry into Schneider's training program because of a Suspension issue that is not showing up on my DMV driver's record. Right now I'm in the process of trying to find out the best route for me to take in means of training. I'm leaning toward going to my local tech school to obtain my CDL. They offer an eight week program; total out of pocket with grants would be around $500. Recently I learned about Interstate Dist. Co via searching the web. The recruiter told me that if the suspension isn't showing up on my record I would be ok. Does anyone know about their training program or the company in general? They sent me a glitzy brochure explaining the program:

Training Weeks 1 through 3
$400 per week

Training Weeks4 through 7
$500 per week

Solo pay (first year)
1. .26 cpm from 1-3 months
2. .28 cpm from 4-6 months
3. .32 cpm after 6 months

Team pay (first year)
1. .41 cpm from 1-3 months
2. .42 cpm from 4-6 months
3. .44 cpm after 6 months

.04 per diem included in mileage pay (is this good)?
* Dispatched miles paid on Practical Route miles not Tariff Book miles (what does this mean)?

Insurance and Benefits Program

All included in one low-cost premium per week:

*Comprehensive medical and hospitalization (available 1st of month)

*Free prescription card and mail order medication program

*Free dental and vision

*Employee paid term life and short term disability

Driver $12.00
Driver and Family $46.15

*Annual Service Bonus

*Free year round family rider program after six months of service

*Immediate 401K participation

*Personal Fleet Manager

*Assigned late model tractors with topof the line interiors and extras. (I wonder what they mean by extras)?

*Our fleet trucks are spec'ed far above most others.

Anyone know anything about this company and their claims??

Thanks,

Mark
Old 06-28-2007, 09:33 PM
Senior Board Member

If you can get your CDL for $500 you'd be nuts not to do it. That way you are not beholding to any company. You can drive for anybody you want. Check to see if the school is PTDI certified. Some companies won't accept the school if it's not.

Are you willing to die to take them away from me?
Old 06-28-2007, 09:33 PM
Rookie

By chance, did they say how far back they do a background investigation?
Old 06-28-2007, 11:09 PM
Rookie

Karnajj I tend to agree with your statement of being nuts for not going to my local tech. school to obtain my CDL for $500. You did hit the head on the nail when you asked if the school is PTDI certified because my local tech school is not certified through PTDI. Should I go to a school that is not PTDI certified, although they do place %90-100 of their graduating students after training?
Another thing to consider is that I wont be paid to go to my local tech school; Interstate Dist. Co will pay me to go through training. Most likely I will pursue my CDL via technolgy school training because I will be free to spread my highway wings after graduation. I just want to make sure I'm making the best decision for my career. So I will put the question out once again. Does anyone know about Interstate Dist. Co.; I mean in terms of their training or working for them in general? There are so many choices in this industry and a lot of companines to drive for. Why can it not be like getting a job in fast food? You have roughly 4 choices: Mcdonalds, Burger King, Wendy's, and Jack in the Box. (along with a few others).
Old 06-28-2007, 11:12 PM
Rookie

softnrough who are you referring to when you ask how far did they go regarding the background check? If you mean Schneider, they checked the last three years of my DMV driver's record.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:24 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
.04 per diem included in mileage pay (is this good)?
What this means is that 4 cpm of your pay will not be taxed. The good point is that it will up your take home pay. The bad is that it will reduce you taxable income which will effect any benefits based on taxable earnings such as workers comp, unemployment, any loans you may want, etc.

Quote:
* Dispatched miles paid on Practical Route miles not Tariff Book miles (what does this mean)?
This means you will be closer to being paid for actual miles driven than book miles. Book miles, also called HHG miles, pay the shortest route between cities even though those routes are often not truck routes. Practical route miles pays the shortest truck route miles between cities.

Quote:
*Assigned late model tractors with topof the line interiors and extras. (I wonder what they mean by extras)?
You will need to ask them that as it can mean anything from having a radio with a cd player to a company installed fridge or power inverter and anything in between. I have never seen a junky looking Interstate truck though.

Quote:
Another thing to consider is that I wont be paid to go to my local tech school; Interstate Dist. Co will pay me to go through training.
You better double check this. Most companies that will put you through school do not pay you a wage while you are in school. They, and all training companies, do pay you a wage while you are in the on the job training phase which typically lasts between 4 and 8 weeks depending on the company.

Quote:
Should I go to a school that is not PTDI certified
If the school offers good training then it does not really matter. There are only a few companies that require a PTDI school when it comes to hiring inexperienced drivers. You can look up the PTDI web site though any search engine and it will tell you what a PTDI school offers which you can use to compare with the offerings of the school you plan on attending.

An important thing to check on though is to make sure any companies you are interested in working for after school will accept the school you will be attending.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:58 AM
Senior Board Member

Don't worry that it is not PTDI. The vast majority of companies don't require it. I drive for Crete and they do require it. You don't indicate where you live, but I would not limit myself to just looking at IDS. I consider them an average company at best.

Old 06-29-2007, 01:00 AM
Rookie

Uturn2001 said "You better double check this. Most companies that will put you through school do not pay you a wage while you are in school. They, and all training companies, do pay you a wage while you are in the on the job training phase which typically lasts between 4 and 8 weeks depending on the company. "

The fact that they stated on the via phone and the brochure they sent me that they pay student during training was a huge shock to me also. But it is printed on the brochure:

$400 a week

Training Week 4 through 7
$500 a week

Does anyone have any experience with Interstate Dist. Co? This seems almost to good to believe? Their claims are posted on the following URL address: drive4us.com
Old 06-29-2007, 01:08 AM
Rookie

I'm pre hired with them and start my orientation July 1st. They have excellent benefits, new equipment and all the people I've spoken to seem very nice. The only question mark I have is "what the average miles I'll receive"?

They will pay $400 for the first 3 weeks then $500 the following 3
Old 06-29-2007, 01:22 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by i40shortie
Uturn2001 said "You better double check this. Most companies that will put you through school do not pay you a wage while you are in school. They, and all training companies, do pay you a wage while you are in the on the job training phase which typically lasts between 4 and 8 weeks depending on the company. "

The fact that they stated on the via phone and the brochure they sent me that they pay student during training was a huge shock to me also. But it is printed on the brochure:

$400 a week

Training Week 4 through 7
$500 a week

Does anyone have any experience with Interstate Dist. Co? This seems almost to good to believe? Their claims are posted on the following URL address: drive4us.com
I think you are confusing driving school with driver training. IDS will not pay you during school, but once you graduate and are on a truck with a trainer their pay kicks in.