User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2007, 05:27 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Got CDL permit now going to WIA for the money instead!

Hi every1

I passed my permit test after 2nd try yesterday :lol: and I am so proud of myself.I even took a chance and passed the tanker test.And I was set to go with Schneider to train but after all the stress and pain to get this far,was told my record has a pending case from 2002.They said since I could prove it was taken care of in 2002 that I can still go but need proof.[Nothing is as easy as it seems]
Ok so I called the courthouse,they said I have a warrant out for failure to appear on ot in 2004.I call Wal-mart[the charge is worthless check] and of course no record of me owing them.Maybe because I paid it off! But they cannot give me a letter stating such.So I called an attorney and have a appt at 2:30 today.They claim this happens all the time and can be fixed.Hopefully so.And while talking to the asst. telling her my situation she said I may qualify for WIA assistance.So after I leave the atty. office I'm going to their office and signing up! If I can get them to pay I could go to school and owe no one when I come out.SNI looks good but not that good

Does any1 know any school in North Carolina that accept government assistance payments?The only 1 I see is Cross Country Training.Any help would be appreciated.Well I'm headed out and will update what happens when I get back.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:37 PM
Senior Board Member
Default WIA Money

As long as the government check clears, no commercial school is gonna care who wrote it. BOL
Old 06-14-2007, 10:04 PM
Board Regular

Here is a list of PTDI certified school in NC.

http://www.ptdi.org/schools/schoolsl...#northcarolina

[email protected]
Old 06-14-2007, 10:38 PM
Rookie

I just got back and wanted to update.

So it will be between 2-400 bucks to get this situation handled depending on who does it.So I'm glad about that.
But the joblink was not much help regarding gov't assistance.They said to sign in and wait.Then a lady basically told me to sign up to come back for a info session next week.She would not tell me anything on the proram and the only thing she could tell me was I was beginning the process right now by signing up.I called my esc office and they said to qualify it depends on many things.So no help there.I will just wait.Well I'll update with any more info later.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:41 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred
I just got back and wanted to update.

So it will be between 2-400 bucks to get this situation handled depending on who does it.So I'm glad about that.
But the joblink was not much help regarding gov't assistance.They said to sign in and wait.Then a lady basically told me to sign up to come back for a info session next week.She would not tell me anything on the proram and the only thing she could tell me was I was beginning the process right now by signing up.I called my esc office and they said to qualify it depends on many things.So no help there.I will just wait.Well I'll update with any more info later.
FYI, I've heard from several people in various states that the process for the WIA grant can take a couple months.

Old 06-15-2007, 12:28 AM

When I went to Schneider I already had my CDL. I qualified for money to pay most of the trucking school's fee.

I still had to go through all of Schneider's training, go out with a trainer. I still had to sign the contract and work the amount of time to satisfy the contract.

Just because you show up with a CDL doesn't mean you will know how to do what the company wants you to do.

I learned more in 2 days from Schneider's training than I did the whole time at the driving school.

Just some more info to consider...good luck.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:01 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwervynMervyn
When I went to Schneider I already had my CDL. I qualified for money to pay most of the trucking school's fee.

I still had to go through all of Schneider's training, go out with a trainer. I still had to sign the contract and work the amount of time to satisfy the contract.

Just because you show up with a CDL doesn't mean you will know how to do what the company wants you to do.

I learned more in 2 days from Schneider's training than I did the whole time at the driving school.

Just some more info to consider...good luck.

I just got off the phone with my recruiter from SNI and you are partly right.She said it was up to me as to how I wanted to get my cdl but I would still have to go thru training with almost any one I went with.She did not say I had to sign a contract but said really all I was doing was getting rid of the first 3 weeks they train you.I would still have to go otr for my 1-3 weeks with them.But at least I would not owe them a penny.So I am really hoping the WIA thing works out.I am also going to start contacting some school to see if they can do the application for grants for me.I called a Sage school and the guy said they were in the process of the gov't giving them the money again and were to hear from them in a week or so.But there are more schools out there.While I really like SNI,I would rather get the initial cdl training myself and go to them that way.I still feel they would be the best one for me as a new driver to go to.Thanks