User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2007, 01:41 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default LTL vs foodservice

I'm keen to know the difference between LTL and foodservice, in regard to the nature of the work, pay, hours of work, job prospects, and anything else that they may entail. I'd really appreciate some inputs here. Thanks.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:46 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: LTL vs foodservice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymist
I'm keen to know the difference between LTL and foodservice, in regard to the nature of the work, pay, hours of work, job prospects, and anything else that they may entail. I'd really appreciate some inputs here. Thanks.
Both fall under the "single stack &window in the back" category and are going to be better than the vast majority of OTR gigs.

Starting off the foodservice will pay a bit better. Here in Reno LTL starts at 16-18hr and the FS starts at 19ish. LTL tops out at 21-22/hr city and .53-55cpm road after 2-5 years. I don't know what food service tops at.

You have more options to bid the road or the city in LTL land.

As a blanket statement FS is going to be harder on your body. A LTL route is considered "tough" if you have to finderprint 1/3 of your stops.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:37 AM
Board Icon

Well, it's almost the same, but most LTL companies are union. Both usually offer good benefits. Ian Williams is hitting the nail with the pay, and hours.

Throwing groceries is solid labor. You unload each piece with a 2-wheel dolly. Lots of multi stops, and it's high paced. Tight schedule. Most LTL deliveries are unloaded with a pallet jack, or forklift.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 05-28-2007, 08:31 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379
Well, it's almost the same, but most LTL companies are union. Both usually offer good benefits. Ian Williams is hitting the nail with the pay, and hours.

Throwing groceries is solid labor. You unload each piece with a 2-wheel dolly. Lots of multi stops, and it's high paced. Tight schedule. Most LTL deliveries are unloaded with a pallet jack, or forklift.
Actually there are only really 2 surviving LTLs that are Union. Yellow/Roadway (same parent corp) and ABF. ABF is likely to become part of the Brown empire after the next contract. Parts of Motor Cargo are union but they don't fall under the NMFA.

LTL companies with their terminal structure are much more vulnerable to being organized that OTR outfits. Given that they want to remain non-union many companies keep wages within spitting distance of NMFA wages, albeit with less bennies.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:57 AM
Senior Board Member

One difference is that in many LTL, you will load your freight in the trailer with a fork lift (not true for all LTL companies). And you may have to unload the freight you picked up as well. Many groceries outfits, on the other hand, will have the trailer loaded for you prior to you arriving.

LTL Unions companies (and some non-union companies) have a call board based on seniority. Expect to be on-call when first starting out. Some carriers will also have you working more dock hours than driving at the beginning.

Both LTL & Food service can have 1st, 2nd, & 3rd shift positions. Seniority determines the choice of shift & route in most cases.

BTW: Here's a link to all the subsidary companies Yellow (or YRC) has:
http://www.yrcw.com/services/index.html

All the best in your decision!
Old 05-28-2007, 11:11 AM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Williams

Actually there are only really 2 surviving LTLs that are Union. Yellow/Roadway (same parent corp) and ABF. ABF is likely to become part of the Brown empire after the next contract. Parts of Motor Cargo are union but they don't fall under the NMFA.
There is no more Motor Cargo. They were aquired by Overnite which was aquired by UPS and the whole thing will be union within a year.

The ABF rumors are flying around but I'll believe it when I see it. TNT and Estes are supposed to be targets too. Depends on what day it is.

Conway was a target for years before getting Overnite. UPS is very slow and methodical about these decisions.

BTW New Penn and USF Holland (both YRC as you know) are part of NMFA. New England Motor Freight and Alvan Motor Freight are union but not NMFA.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:39 AM
Board Regular

Thanks for your prompt responses. You mentioned something about working the docks and loading / unloading trailers....does that involve working with forklifts and palletjacks, or handbombing as well ? How does one unload trailers which are loaded without pallets ? How hard is that on the body ? The reason I ask is that I have an injured knee ( torn ligament ) from a work accident about a year ago, and even though it's on the mend, I wouldn't want to exert too much strain on it.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:05 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

If cargo isn't on pallets, they are often placed on pallets before unloading. The pallet is unloaded using either a forklift or pallet jack. Some receivers don't accept freight on pallets, at least part of their shipments. I recall one toy company who receives basketballs individually. Each one is in a box but must be stacked on pallets before unloading. The product isn't heavy, but can be physically taxing due to the number of balls. Imagine a 53' trailer packed full of basketballs? Most carriers don't require driver assist or unloading. Those who do usually pay extra for your time. Most don't pay enough for your time, but it is extra money.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:50 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymist
Thanks for your prompt responses. You mentioned something about working the docks and loading / unloading trailers....does that involve working with forklifts and palletjacks, or handbombing as well?...The reason I ask is that I have an injured knee ( torn ligament ) from a work accident about a year ago, and even though it's on the mend, I wouldn't want to exert too much strain on it.
Keep in mind that if you work for an LTL city position P/D (pick-up and delivery), you will be operating a fork lift as well as a pallet jack. From time to time you will also fingerprint some of the load you are delivering/picking up. Generally, your responsibility in LTL ends at the back of the truck. In other words, as soon as the freight is off the truck, you don't touch it anymore. However, if the receiver is paying extra for you to deliver it inside their building, you of course will be unloading freight to wherever they want it.

In addition, some of your stops won't have a dock which means you will either have a pallet jack and bring the pallet(s) to the back of the truck and break them down--or worse--not have a pallet jack, break them down and carry the freight to the back of the truck. However, many delivery locations have a pallet jack that they can lift up into the truck (by forklift) if you don't have a pallet jack so that you can move the pallet to the back of the truck and then break it down.

At times LTL can be a physically demanding job--but not usually as demanding as grocery deliveries. Whether LTL or grocery, you will be in better shape physically than in an OTR position (unless you exersize regularily which is tough to do in OTR).

Frankly, if you apply at an LTL or grocery carrier, they may not hire you because of your relatively recent knee injury. I suspect the odds would be in your favor in considering an LTL outfit more so than a grocery outfit.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:09 PM

I have done OTR, foodservice and LTL.

Foodservice and LTL are very time consuming jobs. Both were pretty much 12 to 14 hour days Monday thru Friday.

Foodservice consists of unloading groceries down a ramp with a handcart. Depending on your route could be 350 miles with 10 - 15 stops.

P & D in LTL can be the same way far as hours, but not as much unloading. There were times where I had to hand down 10,000 pounds of dog food to 4 guys at a kennel out in the country.

Both have their issues with parking in less than adequate spaces, but you find a way and learn your own tricks as you do it over and over.

Doing linehaul for an LTL comapny is the best far as I'm concerned. I have an interview this week running from Madison, WI to Cedar Rapids, IA and back. Maybe 2 hours on the dock to swap out freight. It's a mix of mileage pay and hourly pay. Works out pretty good.

Not many LTL jobs up here are union. Most don't pay overtime either. And seniority means nothing.

With OTR I got more sleep than LTL, only drawback is your gone from home.

So, they all have their good points and their drawbacks, just depends on what suits you.....good luck.