User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2007, 05:15 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I forget that Yellow owns all those companies.
So, the clowns are gonna buy ABF? Thats interesting. 8)

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 05-28-2007, 10:22 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: LTL vs foodservice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Williams
A LTL route is considered "tough" if you have to finderprint 1/3 of your stops.
When I worked for Conway fingerprinting freight was a courtesy unless they paid for that specific service. Walmart was the worst, I sat at many docks waiting for them to get their freight off my truck. If they didn’t like it I had them sign the bill as refused freight and they could come pick it up at our terminal or we can ship it back to the shipper. If they had an attitide with me I gave it right back to them.

Old 05-28-2007, 10:38 PM
Senior Board Member

Roadway uses the same hotel that ABF uses in Chicago, so we share the same van. They are talking all the time about who's going to buy them. Most of them say DHL is the one looking pretty hard to buy a freight company. At Conway that was the big thing, DHL was going to buy Conway. You can bet though if UPS does buy out someone again FEDEX will be right there buying someone else out. UPS and FEDEX are in a big pissing contest on who can be the biggest.

Old 05-28-2007, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymist
Thanks for your prompt responses. You mentioned something about working the docks and loading / unloading trailers....does that involve working with forklifts and palletjacks, or handbombing as well ? How does one unload trailers which are loaded without pallets ? How hard is that on the body ? from a work accident about a year ago, and even though it's on the mend, I wouldnThe reason I ask is that I have an injured knee ( torn ligament )'t want to exert too much strain on it.
If you have a bad knee food service will not help it get better going down ramps with heavy loads on a two wheeler,ltl could be tough also with all the in and out of the truck all day.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:16 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky13
If you have a bad knee food service will not help it get better going down ramps with heavy loads on a two wheeler,ltl could be tough also with all the in and out of the truck all day.
It wouldn't be to bad if you could get on as a road driver with Roadway, Yellow, Holland or UPS. Not much getting in and out, just get to the terminal.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:34 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: LTL vs foodservice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben45750
When I worked for Conway fingerprinting freight was a courtesy unless they paid for that specific service. Walmart was the worst, I sat at many docks waiting for them to get their freight off my truck. If they didn’t like it I had them sign the bill as refused freight and they could come pick it up at our terminal or we can ship it back to the shipper. If they had an attitide with me I gave it right back to them.
Yes WM can be a real PITA. I seems to vary from store to store though. Some are a cool, some are jerks. Once a few months agoI had one of their employees try and tell me they were not accepting deliveries @1:50pm when the sign on their door said Reciving hours XXX-2:00. Once I asked for her to per her name on the bill for refusal she changed her mind and they were magically open.

Unlike OTR where you can be forced to play BS games with shippers and consignees we have the trump card of saying "take it or I'm leaving" or if they waste your time on a regular basis they start getting billed for it.

On friday I spent ~40min a one outbound customer here in town thats notorious for wasting time. I sat there on the clock with the other LTL guys from USF, FedEx, Saia and someone else from my barn having social hour.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:38 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben45750
It wouldn't be to bad if you could get on as a road driver with Roadway, Yellow, Holland or UPS. Not much getting in and out, just get to the terminal.
Being a roadman for Con-Way is not too bad either. The whole linehaul system is designed so that everyone is home every night; there are no lay downs by design, its all meet & turns.

You will do more dock work relative to the rest of LTL, but can earn more as well. In some locations it can be drive 2 hrs, work 6-8 of dock and then drive home.

You can only drive 11 hrs in a day but you can work 14.