User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2007, 12:36 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Grossing $1000+ per week, realistic?

I understand the first couple years will be rough on the family....however is there hope for DH to gross over $1000 per week with experience? If so, how much experience? This is a huge decision for us to make for our family - he drives local right now but it's seasonal - I wouldn't want him to go OTR if it works out to be the same he makes now. I understand it's different per driver/company/attitude/relationships, etc......but in general, how many actually go over $1K?
Old 05-26-2007, 12:59 AM
Senior Board Member

Great question. Yes there's hope. I'll let more seasoned veterans comment on how soon an experienced driver can regularily pull in $1K/week as well as guestimates on percentages. The answer will depend largely on the lanes your husband is near and which companies are traveling those lanes.

A question for you: do you live in an area where local driving jobs are difficult to obtain? OTR is a lot tougher on the family than the family realizes--especially after Dad/Hubby is gone for 7-15 days at a crack, back for 1 1/2, out for 7-15 days, back for 2, etc.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:02 AM
Senior Board Member

In order to gross 1000 per week you would need to run 2500 per week at 40 cpm.

If you get on with the right company it is possible to average that after a year or two of OTR experience. Now some weeks he might gross 1200 and others 800, but over the course of a year it is possible to make close to 50 k.

Now keep in mind too that with the added costs of going OTR that 1000 gross is probably equal to a 800 gross per week local.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:19 AM

We were making that much running Steelcase out of Grand Rapids, MI. {24% of $2.20 per mile to the West Coast } I don't know if you can find anything that good any more.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:30 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWheels
A question for you: do you live in an area where local driving jobs are difficult to obtain? OTR is a lot tougher on the family than the family realizes--especially after Dad/Hubby is gone for 7-15 days at a crack, back for 1 1/2, out for 7-15 days, back for 2, etc.
We're in CT. I hope this doesn't come out wrong, but we think being apart will make us stronger? "Absence makes the heart grow fonder" or whatever that quote is LOL! Our household might run a little smoother if he's out on the road.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:39 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by townie388
We're in CT....
What type of area -- Urban? Suburban? Rural? Hopefully there will be some drivers on this board who live in that general area who could provide some advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by townie388
...I hope this doesn't come out wrong, but we think being apart will make us stronger? "Absence makes the heart grow fonder" or whatever that quote is LOL! Our household might run a little smoother if he's out on the road.
Doesn't come out wrong at all. Sometimes along life's journeys, you will be stronger by being apart; sometimes you won't. Sounds like you both agree that it may be good for an OTR adventure for hubby at this point in your lives.

I recall when I was going OTR, I talked to my wife a lot more than my previous job where I was burnt out from working a 60-70 hrs/wk corporate job. She really enjoyed our talks over the phone. That being said, after a while, it was tough on her (she took on all the parenting responsibilities) and tough especially on the kids ("When is daddy coming home?) to have me gone as much as I was.

I wish you both the best as you continue to brainstorm for the future!
Old 05-26-2007, 03:18 AM
Senior Board Member

If he can get on with someone like Superior Carriers, that has a terminal up in Springfield, MA or Carry Transit... he will stand a good chance of averaging about $1k a week. Both companies are tanker. Superior is chemical, Carry is food grade, and both are part of Superior Bulk Logistics.

If he's interested, he should look at Cyanide's "Tanker Info for y'all" here on this site.

Expecting $1k a week with a dry van company could be considered "optimistic". Been there and done that. With van companies making that kind of money requires long periods of time on the road, for the most part.

Tanker yankers, especially Chemical tanker drivers make better money, because our pay is not "all about miles". We get paid for so many things that others don't get paid for. He should check it out. I drive for Superior, as does Cyanide.... we get 40 cpm loaded, on practical miles, and much more.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 05-26-2007, 03:33 AM
Senior Board Member

I started right out at about 1100/wk. Made 56K first year.
But it's hard to get on with my company as a newbie. Their ad says they require 2 years experience, but they hired me.

Hint: Look deeper than just CPM. We get paid 35.5 CPM but I made over 40 with all the add ons - they count!
http://www.action-transport.com/
Old 05-26-2007, 03:42 AM
Board Regular

I am OTR for KLLM out of Jackson,MS. Been with them since '93 and therefore at top pay and at the top of the food chain as far as getting pretty good loads most of the time. Making 1k, a guy can do after the first year on a regular basis if with a good company.

I stay out 4-6 weeks, here is my last three weeks on pay

this week 1,482.00
last week 1,313.00
3rd week 1,175.00
Old 05-26-2007, 06:37 AM
Senior Board Member

I have had my CDL 2 years this last March, I make 1000+ weekly. It's a union LTL job so layoffs are common in the winter months till I gain seniority. I was hired last September so I'm at the bottom of the pay scale.

Here's last months bank statement to see what my net for the month was:

Before trucking I averaged $35k a year, so getting into trucking has been a good thing for me. So it is very possible to make $1000 a week starting out in trucking.