User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2007, 05:56 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Disqualified by Schneider for headaches

Ok I had a phone interview with Schneider and was offered a "Conditional Hire", all set for Carlisle on Aug 4. Then I talked to their Medical Dept and was disqualified because I have a history of Migraine headaches. I have had these headaches sine I was a kid. Usually one maybe 2 times a year. I have had every test possible, including a Nuclear Scan 9 months ago. There is nothing wrong with me! My Dr. says they are possibly stress related. (yeah like when I can't pay my bills!)

On the DOT site it says you can appeal if you lose your CDL for this. My question, since Schneider disqualified me for this will all the other companies do the same?

Thanks

That some should be rich, shows that others may become rich, and, hence, is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.
Abraham Lincoln

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-17-2007, 06:26 PM
Senior Board Member

I wouldnt worry about it, and if it is truly that minor, why even bring it up? Bringing it up makes it sound like a bigger problem than it probably is. Everyone gets headaches.

Anymore, Schneider seems to turn you down if you put your glasses on the wrong way in the morning. No big loss for you. There are plenty of other companies that will probably take you considering your driving record is good, good employment history, no criminal background.

I'd look into:
Crete
Roehl
Millis Transfer
TMC (flatbed)
Maverick (flatbed)

Stay away from:
Stevens Transport
Werner
Swift
CR England
Prime

Or anyone else who keeps you out for weeks at a time and dont pay you fairly for it.

Adapt and overcome.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:28 PM
Board Icon

I can ONLY surmise that you checked the box on the application indicating a "history" of migraine headaches! :roll:

WHY??? Oh WHY??? Do people shoot themselves in the foot by being so HONEST??

Once or twice a year?? I would have NEVER mentioned that!!!!

Start over, find another company, and remember..... you have NO history of ANY medical (or mental) problems (unless they are real serious!)

Chances are that the one or two you get each year will occur while on hometime. If not??

"Wow! I don't know where this CAME from! I can't move for a day or two! Send someone to get my load!"

You might ALSO need to check your DAC after this, to make sure Schneider didn't "report" your "problem."

Good luck.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:36 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbpard
I wouldnt worry about it, and if it is truly that minor, why even bring it up? Bringing it up makes it sound like a bigger problem than it probably is. Everyone gets headaches.

Anymore, Schneider seems to turn you down if you put your glasses on the wrong way in the morning. No big loss for you. There are plenty of other companies that will probably take you considering your driving record is good, good employment history, no criminal background.

I'd look into:
Crete
Roehl
Millis Transfer
TMC (flatbed)
Maverick (flatbed)

Stay away from:
Stevens Transport
Werner
Swift
CR England
Prime

Or anyone else who keeps you out for weeks at a time and dont pay you fairly for it.
I don't think the person has much of a choice. You have to start somewhere, and most of the companies you mentioned on your good list don't hire inexperienced drivers or they wouldn't be going to Schneider in the first place.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:37 PM
Senior Board Member

Thanks. It kinda freaked me out though!. I will drive a truck again! The only reason I tried Schneider was that I heard their Tanker school was excellent and that is what I want to do. I grew up riding flatbeds (Dad was a steel hauler form the 1960's - 80's and he's always had migraines too).

I'm 48 and not stupid enough to try to drive if I can't, like I said they don't happen often and in the last 18 months I've missed 1 day of work because of a headache! And I've been given a clean bill of health my several Dr.'s.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Terri

That some should be rich, shows that others may become rich, and, hence, is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.
Abraham Lincoln

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-17-2007, 06:39 PM
Senior Board Member

As far as i know they all did unless something has changed since I started looking (2+ years ago)

Adapt and overcome.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:41 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
I can ONLY surmise that you checked the box on the application indicating a "history" of migraine headaches! :roll:

WHY??? Oh WHY??? Do people shoot themselves in the foot by being so HONEST??

Once or twice a year?? I would have NEVER mentioned that!!!!

Start over, find another company, and remember..... you have NO history of ANY medical (or mental) problems (unless they are real serious!)

Chances are that the one or two you get each year will occur while on hometime. If not??

You might ALSO need to check your DAC after this, to make sure Schneider didn't "report" your "problem."

Good luck.

"Wow! I don't know where this CAME from! I can't move for a day or two! Send someone to get my load!"
It was in the phone interview. I know I got fired from a car dealership for being the "worst liar" they ever met! I am too honest sometimes. She asked I answered. How would I check my DAC?

Abraham Lincoln

Old 07-17-2007, 06:53 PM
Senior Board Member

For anyone interested here is link to the DOT site about headaches/disqualification. If i read it right my headaches would only be a Temporary disqualification

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/documents/neuro.pdf

Abraham Lincoln

Old 07-17-2007, 07:46 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneebone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbpard

I'd look into:
Crete
Roehl
Millis Transfer
TMC (flatbed)
Maverick (flatbed)

Stay away from:
Stevens Transport
Werner
Swift
CR England
Prime

I don't think the person has much of a choice. You have to start somewhere, and most of the companies you mentioned on your good list don't hire inexperienced drivers or they wouldn't be going to Schneider in the first place.
All of those companies on the "good" list will hire inexperienced drivers.

Crete will take you if you went to a PTDI certified school.
Roehl has their own school.
Millis has their own school.
Maverick will send you to their school and take you from other schools as well.
TMC also hires from quite a few scools.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:01 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
SNI is not going to bother putting anything in her DAC report. She was in the application process, not the hiring process.
==============================================
RebelDarlin

If you really only get a debilitating headache once or twice per year then I would not mention anything to anyone at a trucking company and if/when you do have one simply tell the company you are sick. Just be sure to find a safe place to park ASAP when you do feel one coming on.

The regs on this issue are really more concerned with people who have severe headaches frequently.....like one per month or more which could indicate a neurological problem.