User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2007, 06:23 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Is it hard to find a job right out of School?

Ive read a few post on this board that some of the guys have had problems get a job after training school :shock: is this true? I planning on going to an 8 week well known school (ATI) not that they are gonna gaurantte that I wil get a job. But they will try to help me find one.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:35 PM
Rookie

It depends on you background. If you job hop or can't document your employment history, have stuff on your MVR, have a criminal past, then it could be hard to find a job. From what I've seen and heard there is a seat for almost every ass. I have been self employed for the past few years so I had a time trying to get enough paperwork to prove my employment history. PTL was pretty easy to start out with and they pay per mile while training as opposed to the flat rate that most pay. The downside is when you leave and go back to a manual trannie. JB Hunt seems to be really strict on their background checks (lots of folks went home from orientation last week, but for what I don't know). Start applying at the companies you want to work for, be honest with your app but don't volunteer info that they don't ask for. Talk to recruiters, and drivers online and hopefully by the time you get the CDL A you will have a spot in an orientation somewhere that you want to be.
Doug
Old 05-17-2007, 10:11 PM
Rookie

Thanks Doug, I've had a soild job since I was 17 Im 24 now and still working and my background is clean. Im sure the company's will look at 80% of how I preformed in school, so the company's feel that Im ready for the road. How long is the orientation? I know you will have a trainer for four weeks or so but when do you get to drive with your trainer?
Old 05-18-2007, 02:18 AM
Rookie

I don't know about a company checking with your school to find out how you did but I guess it's possible. When I went to PTL, I spent 3 days in orientation then got assigned a trainer. He got there that evening (Friday night) and we sat until Sunday morning waiting on a load (anytime I went to Murray, KY, I waited on a load out of there for a day or so). By then we had gotten to know each other a little. I did a couple of laps on the trailer yard to show I could drive then when we got a load I drove. I think they require around 10K miles with the trainer before they route you back to Murray to test up to first seat then you get a truck and wait on a load out of Murray, again. The auto trannies were nice, I got a brand new International 9400 Eagle. Can't really complain to much about them. Just realize that the pay isn't exp driver pay and there is usually no reason to bust ass to get the load there early because wheither you are told or not, your next load is probably not before your original delivery time even if you get there a day or so early. Now this could have been due to the time of the year (Oct, Nov, Dec) but I don't know. I liked PTL and if the pay was higher I would go back with them now instead of JB Hunt.
Doug
Old 05-19-2007, 02:30 AM
Rookie

I had no problem getting hired out of school. I think most trucking companies just want to make sure you have a CDL and don't care how good a student you were. They do want a solid work history and a clean MVR. Roehl will do a driving assesment your first day of orientation. I sucked at shifting during it and they were great about it. They just note your abilities so the trainer has some idea of what they need to work on with you. I did wait 2 months after I finished driving school and I do not recommend that. The trucking companies will "re-train" you to drive the way they want. It has been a great experience so far. Good luck to you!
Old 05-19-2007, 09:24 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesD2
I know you will have a trainer for four weeks or so but when do you get to drive with your trainer?
I drove out of the yard when I first started driving - it was for Swift. My mentor was in the sleeper sleeping about 50 miles outside of the yard. FIRST DAY TOO.
Old 05-19-2007, 11:01 AM

When you first get out of school it’s not hard to find a job in trucking if you have a good background. What is hard, is to find a GOOD job right out of school. We started with one of the bigest trucking companies in Chattanooga TN, and we really wanted to stay at least one year before we moved to another company, but we just could not take being treaded badly any longer. Once you have at least 6 months of experience you can find much better companies to work for, and that treat you like a person not a tool. we now drive a much better truck, for better pay, and a MUCH better company, and yes this company treats us GREAT.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:50 PM
Rookie

Thanks Im not so worrired now.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:00 PM
Senior Board Member

i got out of school on a friday started orientation on monday and was out with my trainer on thursday so for me it was a non-issue.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:18 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Although companies must have a 10 year work history, they are primarily interested in the last 3 years. If you have been in school, you will just list that time on your application. I would not worry about finding a job. Unless you have some serious skeletons, you should not have a problem.