User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2007, 12:39 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Hauling glass - adv./dis.

Hello, I was wondering what hauling glass would be like. I'm sure you would have to be more careful but is there anything else to be aware of? What's the advantage/disadvantage of starting out with a co. with a job hauling glass?

Sorry for stupidity but what does bobtail mean? I think it means driving just the front of the truck but not sure.
Thanks
Old 05-16-2007, 01:10 PM
Board Regular

Bobtailing means just driving the tractor without the trailer.

Although I've never hauled glass one driver I've talked that did said that it is heavy pulling!!!! Also that depending on how it is loaded it can be easily busted. He said he hauled a few glass loads when he was with Transport America in Schneider trailers after the Schneider driver busted the load and took it to a drop yard. Schneider did have a dedicated glass division but only 60% of the loads arrived in shape. So the got out of that!! So when you look at it that way you will end up with some busted loads.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:50 PM

Right now I am hauling windows, patio doors, etc....Thought this gig would be for me, start sunday and usually back home by wed unless there is a backhaul the home thurs. Glass is heavy and awkward and if there is any damage most likely there is a big mess to clean up, unlike other types of loads. I cant really say much about the pro's and con's since I have not been doing this job for very long, maybe if I was a tad bit younger it would be eaiser on me. If you go that route be respectifull of your product
Old 05-17-2007, 09:33 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Schneider/Warner/Maverick/JB Hunt/Charger

Look for posters from those companies. You may find some left over glass haulers at pumpkindriver.com. I've seen a Warner trucked parked near Saturn and Coronado in San Diego with loaded (tarped) glass frames on it
Maverick bought The Punkin's "Specialized" (glass haulin') division in late '06. Ten years ago, JB was pulling glass (think skyscraper glass) out of a plant near Lathrop (French Camp) Cali. JB sold their flat fleet to Charger in '97. BOL