User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2008, 10:44 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default A serious "passion"

"TO OWNER OPERATORS" I need help, I curently have a class A permit I need some one to show me the ropes about driving backing etc so i could take pretrip and road test at NC dmv i will pay for personal training if serious and you want to help me get started in a career i always had a passion for thank you.
My name is Mike, please call me at 252-281-5821 or 252-360-6277 or you could leave me your number as well also my email is [email protected]

I understand going to school is a better resource lots of companies out there are in need of good quality drivers and i think having my class a's will also put my foot in the door with companies that will continue to help better my driving skills.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:37 PM
Senior Board Member

I have a feeling i will catch a lot of crap for this post, but here it goes. You have the money to pay an O/O to train you, so your best bet is to run down to the closest truck stop, and ask around. Maybe go to the restauant, and belly up to the counter.

2nd thing is to go to a company that will train you then put you to work. If you dont bomb out of the school, and you still have a pulse, they will get you into a mentor's truck for 6 weeks, then you are solo.
(i went to swift school for 3 weeks, and currently am in the middle of my 6 weeks with a mentor)

But if you have a passion to drive, do what you need to do, even if that means getting a job at a truck stop at the fuel desk and ask around that way. I got good experience working at one for a month before i ran off to school.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:31 PM
Board Regular

Ah...gotta love it...

What Kevin DIDN'T say was that a new driver with a Class A and no experience is just about unemployable without going through a driving school. Going around, finding an O/O who you'll pay to train you would not only waste your time, but your money.

Maybe Kevin should read up on this stuff before spending other people's money.....
Old 11-15-2008, 11:54 PM
Senior Board Member

well, i atleast did my homework to know i'd be better off going thru the school of a company than it would to go to a community college, now didn't i. I was able to get a driving job with the very same company I went to school with. I wasnt guarenteed a job, even after all the hoops i had to jump thru.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:25 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

It is very difficult for an owner operator to put an inexperienced driver in his truck due to insurance. Most insurance companies will not insure a driver without at least 2 years experience. That is one reason you will mostly find inexperienced drivers working for major carriers. Many of them self insure up to a certain point.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:36 PM
Rookie
Wink Thank you

I am one of those new bees who is getting into the trucking business and I am really glad for this post. You really have opened my eyes to a lot of the #$%$##$# that's going on and I wanted to stop in and say thank you I am also one of those ex-felons and now have almost 4years clean and sober and want to make this my life not only for the money but so my kids can have something nice to say about there dear old dad who gave them all the stuff that they needed and all that stuff. So once again thank you for that post I hope to read more:lol:from you in the future And last but not least if anyone know of anyone who will hire a recent grad from California with a 5 year felony write me back or e-mail me at [email protected] Thank you
Old 01-01-2009, 09:41 PM
Rookie
Default I hope they called you

I went to a truck driving school and all i am driving right now is my laptop trying to find a job so that doesn't always work but if you can they have programs that will help you go through the school and all that. That's what i did if you want more info on this e-mail me at [email protected] worked for me in California maybe it will be the same out there
Old 01-03-2009, 01:30 AM
Rookie
Default Information wanted

With the fountains of knowledge that are available could someone please let me know the protocol for obtaining a OTR job from Australia/NZ. :bow:
I have 20yrs experience and have done freezer/dry vans, oversize loads on lowbeds, auto carrying etc. I would like to see some more of the world and trucks are always a good way to do it.
If anyone is able to help me out I would appreciate any info - please send it through to [email protected].

Thank you in advance for your assistance.:clap:
Old 02-18-2009, 06:32 PM
Rookie

This is one of the best posts I have read so far on here! I really think you need to take everything you hear with a grain of salt. With any company, or career, for that matter, you need to pay your dues and prove yourself. I totally agree that, at first, you will not make the big bucks and it will definitely take time to adjust to being on the road. This first year or so of driving will be the making or breaking point, I think. If truck driving is not in your blood, you will know, and leave the business. If it is, then you just keep on truckin' and eventually, reap your rewards. :clap:
Old 07-08-2009, 05:03 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWheels View Post
Very good stuff!

The Truck Driver section (above) is worth it's weight in gold. 8)

And...um...no I don't have any gold to give you. Sorry! Wish I could but I can't. If I do come across an overturned brinks truck...no that won't do. Um...well I can only hope that someone bestows upon you a plentiful supply.
yep, thats good information ,u got there roadhog, i wish i would have got this info when i started i would have known what to look for and what to expect ,because there is no certainty that u r going to get a good dm and they are going to supply u with all the info u need to perform efficiently,alot of it has to come from you and your knowlege of the job u r doing,now i'm unemployed and trying to get my dac clear because of lack of info and a company covering there on while i had mine exposed.

Last edited by court08; 07-10-2009 at 02:56 AM.