User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2012, 05:19 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Why does a truck driving school have such an impact to employers? I have been driving all different kinds of straight trucks (class b) for about 17 yrs, but none of that is acceptable as driving history. I had a class a learning permit for about 11 months, drove with an independent company took my test with DOT and passed with no problem. Im not claiming to be some fabulous driver but I do and have done well in the past. What knowledge do you get in the schools that you don't get on the road?
Old 02-19-2012, 06:09 PM
Rookie
Default 1 year contract no good

If you sign a 1 year contract to work for a company ask yourself? why should they care if i make a good paycheck this week? They know you cant go anywhere else for 1 year so who cares if you get the miles this week. Which is ok for a single person with no bills, but a married person with a family needs a steady paycheck. If you pay for your school then after you get a job they know you can leave at any time. You will get more miles, and more pay this way. Also make sure you do your research on whatever school you choose. Go down to the school, and see what type of equiptment they have. Ask for there certifications, how many hours behind the wheel, in the classroom etc etc. I did a lot of research on the schools before i posted a link to them on my blog. google me and you can get more information on this topic, and not just me there is plenty of sites out there like this forum.

"Do your Research ask questions" This is your future so it's important to take your time. The best advice any veteran truck driver can give is "Slow Down take your time"
Old 04-05-2012, 05:55 AM
Senior Board Member

You get Book knowledge .... one on one time with an instrutor under the hood of a semi and under the belly of the trailer .... and most important is ... you'll get the approval of the Instrutor and he will related that information to the office of the school, which will go into your files while in school. So once you have completed your time in school the school will be able to prove to the Trucking companys and their Insurance company that you went to school and passed with good grades. ..... Yes you will get more training On the road than seating in class for weeks .... but the Insurance companys have their reasons for making the Trucking companys ONLY hire new drivers that have gone through school. Good luck.

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'
Old 04-09-2012, 03:06 AM
Rookie

As a new driver and new to this industry can anybody tell me about watkins shepard??? This is the company i would like to start with...
Old 04-14-2012, 12:06 AM
Rookie

Hello. I guess I am considered less than a tenderfoot to all of the long time truckers here BUT even though that may be so I want all to know I WANT to learn and do more. I have my CDL-A permit only. I cant afford driving school. My Dad was a lifetime company driver but he cant help me due to his medical conditions. I am in my mid 40s and single. I need a career change and am tired of manufacturing etc. I DO realize trucking is one of the hardest most demanding jobs out there but I want to do this.
If anyone knows of either an independent owner operator or a company that would hire me so I can get my miles in and take the test ready to pass I would be forever grateful.

I know its a long shot to ask but I promise you I will not let anyone down. I have been a hard worker all my adult life but am now caught in a place where I need help. My email is [email protected] or I can check this board.
Any guidance anyone could offer in good faith I would be appreciative.
Thanks
Jim
Old 04-14-2012, 12:10 AM
Rookie

Where did you go to school? And can they help with financing as I am without a job right now and no money for school.
Thanks
Old 07-03-2012, 10:37 PM
Board Regular

Contender you have two real options. One is driving school paid for by a company. Star out of morton, il is an Excellent company. There IS another and it is ROUGH. 98% of the drivers on this board couldnt handle it.. most of them will admit it. Bedbugging.
Go to the local moving companies that have semis (allied etc) and hire on as a lumper letting them know your goal. Better if you get your class b at least first. This is ROUGH work... im 47 and it kicked my ass .. but i outworked everyone around me. Eventually you'll get the opportunity to go out with drivers and you should be able to get some practice in the yard there. Eventually you'll get your cdl and a driver will take you out as a trainee for a month. This will be ROUGH but mostly you'll be carrying furniture. YOU WILL NEVER BE TIRED... bedbuggers dont actually drive much. Then they'll send you out for a road test with a driver. You will be much less qualified now than a guy who's been to school. Now heres the kicker: Youre going to do some terrifying stuff. And i'd hire a bedbugger with a years experience WAY before i'd hire an otr driver with 20 years experience. You'll learn to put that truck in some INSANE places. You'll also get incredibly fit if you arent a lazy scumbag. If you arent an OO you can also stay at a hotel every night. or be paid pocket change to sleep in the truck with your helper. It's a good line of work and if the people running the company i bedbugged for werent scumbags id still be doing it.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:42 PM
Rookie

What is a good trucking company to start with in down state New York? I will have my CDL A in about a month. My goal is to become an auto hauler.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:19 PM
Rookie

Awesome post RoadHog
Job well done driver!
Old 09-04-2012, 12:12 PM
Rookie

That was an awesome post!

If you start out by what are you going to make....the good recruiter is already sizing you up with a jaundice eye, but will hold off seeing how you play out.

I totally agree. The recruiters will get a driver anytime if he is ready to pay more than 40cpm. And most drivers feel that this is better, although this might not always be true. The other job might be an easier one.
If you are unemployed, they know you will accept anything, and do anything.

Totally agree with this one, too.
Good post, man!