User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2007, 12:07 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default What Are the Best Companies for A Beginner to Work For?

I'm planning on entering the trucking industry and will be obtaining my CDL license soon. First, I'm looking for a list of the best companies for beginners to work for as far as pay, benefits, etc. Then I plan to ask which schools they recognize so I know where to obtain my license. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated
Old 05-12-2007, 12:20 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

How long do you want to be away from home :?:

What do you want to pull, van, reefer or flatbed :?:

What do you consider "good pay" :?:
Old 05-12-2007, 12:49 AM
Senior Board Member

If I knew what I know now, and I was starting out as a new driver with no experience needing training. I would try TMC (OTR) or Conway (Local/LTL).

Old 05-12-2007, 01:06 AM
Senior Board Member

I wouldn't work for any of the freight companies that have recruiters.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:30 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy

I would ideally want to be home every night. As far as what I'd want to pull...frankly, I have no idea what the differences are between a van, reefer, or flatbed, like which of them is more difficult or pays more. And I"m not certain what good pay really is since drivers are paid per mile. Whats the usual rate and how many miles do truckers usually do in, lets say, a week?

Another question...do most companies require you to buy your own truck or do they provide one for you? I know this seems like a stupid question, but I've been hearing different things.

Thanks very much for the help, prodigy.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:52 AM
Senior Board Member

If you are home everynight, chances are you'll be paid hourly, not by the mile. I might be wrong.

You aren't required to buy a rig, unless the outfit that employs(in this case, contracts) you requires it. There are plenty of company drivers.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:06 AM
Board Regular

Theres alot for you to look at. heres a few questions you need to answer yourself.

1. Do you want to be OTR or local?

2. What kind of pay do you expect or want to make?

3. Do you want to haul a reefer, a van, a flatbed or something specialty?

4. How much crap are you willing to put up with?

so those are a few questions for you. now a few answers.

Pay for OTR generally starts form .25CPM to .32 CPM. Depends on you who work for.

Good companies? HMMM I think all OTR companies rip you off but I did it for a year. I worked for Roehl. I had a good and bad experience with them. More good than bad. I will leave it at that.

Companies I would not even bother with. Again this is my opinion and you will see lots of them as your read post thru here, so you need to figure some of this out yourself as well. ok back to who I would not work for.

Swift,Werner,CR England, Stevens, Schneider, JB Hunt, FFE, JR Shugel.

1st year expected pay will be 30K to 40K depending on how you run. What type of division you go in. You get extra pay for tarping loads and strapping down and such.

Most big companies will hire you right out of a CDL mill. As far as training for yourself. You should look at a PTDI school. The training is alot better.

If you look local. You get paid for everything you do. Your hourly and not by the mile. I currently work for Sysco and I am in the teamsters now. I get paid an hourly rate. OT after 8. Medical, dental and vision for 50 bucks a week with no copays. I pay 5 bucks for prescriptions. I have a pension of 132 week they pay for. I am home every night. I work my a!@# off though.

You might look at ABF, Conway, Yellow, UPS for local stuff. I beleive they are union if thats what you want.

Well thats it for now. Oh BTW. Do not lease a truck under any circumstances. Search posts on here and you will see. Also if you search posts you will find out alot of info.

Hope it helps
Old 05-16-2007, 08:56 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bek2k1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy

I would ideally want to be home every night. As far as what I'd want to pull...frankly, I have no idea what the differences are between a van, reefer, or flatbed, like which of them is more difficult or pays more. And I"m not certain what good pay really is since drivers are paid per mile. Whats the usual rate and how many miles do truckers usually do in, lets say, a week?

Another question...do most companies require you to buy your own truck or do they provide one for you? I know this seems like a stupid question, but I've been hearing different things.

Thanks very much for the help, prodigy.
Dry van, is just that you. Pull dry goods that do not need refrigeration nor do they need to be tarped, essentially drop and hook, and maybe you unload or load. I dont load or unload anything. I have no personal interest in WalMart, Family Dollar, H.E.B's , etc crap.

Refer van means you are pulling a refrigerated unit with things like meat, vegetables and other perishable items. You have to monitor the temp in the trailer although most if not at all are automated, you still have to keep on eye on the unit to make sure you have fuel and that everything is running.

Flatbed is just that. They load it, you secure it. Generally things like lumber, wire, steel etc. Though dry van pulls wire as well. Its more labor intensive and you work outside more than the other types of freight but you are generally paid more for tarping etc. Most flatbedding companies require you to take the trailer with you wherever you go , including home.
Thats the reason I like dry van. WHen I go home, I drop the trailer at my last load and bobtail and park in my driveway.

If you are first starting out you can apply at ABF, Yellow, UPS, but chances are you'll not get on right away. With UPS you'll work the dock before you get a truck. These companies generally require experience first.

Some companies such as England will hire you as a co. driver but will pressure you into leasing a truck. Leasing is totally for suckers. Think of renting a truck from the company you work for, to deliver their stuff.
I prefer being a company driver, less hassles when it comes to fuel and repairs, and less expense.

I went to a school for 5 weeks and paid for it myself. I now work for Schneider and they are no worse or better than anyone else. You pick your poison. But I will say this about SNI over other companies. They will not push you to run illegal, nor will they push you to run if you feel conditions are not safe. You decide what conditions are not safe, not them. They run strictly by the book as far as federal regulations and make no room for exceptions. period. But talking with other drivers from other companies, I feel I made the better choice. The problem with this industry in hiring new drivers is that the new drivers are so focused on making money that they lose focus on becoming efficient. The more efficient you get, the more miles you get, the more money you make.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:04 PM

Prodigy, ibamars, and anyone....
1. Do you want to be OTR or local?

2. What kind of pay do you expect or want to make?

3. Do you want to haul a reefer, a van, a flatbed or something specialty?

4. How much crap are you willing to put up with?

How long do you want to be away from home

What do you want to pull, van, reefer or flatbed

What do you consider "good pay"
__________________________________________________ _________

What would you suggest if...
>Home time doesn't matter at all
>OTR vs local
>Leaning towards flatbed - (looking at Maverick)
Van would be good too. My logic is that
Strapping/securing doesn't bother me. Flat seems to pay more so I look at it as why not flat.
>I would expect the most I can get....after 6 mo around 37 cpm

I didn't start the thread but would like to jump in.

So far the tops seem to be SNI, Maverick & TMC- for flat.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:53 PM
Board Regular

I hear Maverick is good. I understand there is a waiting list to get on with them though. My question with that is if there is that many what happens to the mileage with so many employees.

I almost went to TMC when I first started. Then I realized I didnt want to tarp loads in 20 below weather or real windy days. Their equipment is top notch. I hear its like a bootcamp though, I talked to a few drivers who tried them and some loved them while others hated them. Again I guess it depends on what kind of crap your willing to tolerate.