User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2007, 04:05 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Owner Operators right out of school.

I have heard so many stories of people just out of school who go right to O/O with absolutely no experience.

Here is my take on things as I will eventually go to O/O. As I am learning how to be a better Big Truck driver, I am also learning the aspects of O/O too. I want to be sure that I am ready, and have a great deal of knowledge of what I am getting myself into.

I spoke with a Landstar driver some time ago and he made a good point. Don't lease from a company as it will cost you more right off the bat. Buy a used truck, keep it maintained, and then trade it in for a newer truck when you have the capital to cover the cost of the newer truck. He said that eventually you will end up with what you want, even if it does take you time.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:11 PM
Senior Board Member

i waited two years to learn the rules and keep track of all expenses and looking for the right truck that fit my needs
Old 04-25-2007, 10:47 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I think it is much better to learn something about the business first, then buy a truck, providing that is what you want to do. If you track expenses on the truck you currently drive, you will have a much better idea of what it will take when you buy a truck. Those who jump right in to ownership without first having some driving experience are usually in for some major shocks as to costs. There are many more costs involved in truck ownership than fuel.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:28 AM
Senior Board Member

Lets us not forget, the less experience you have in driving a truck will mean a significant higher cost of operation as well as a loss of revenue.

New drivers will have higher insurance costs, tend to use more fuel, have greater wear and tear on the equipment than experienced drivers.

Also newbies tend to not understand how to maximize their available time, understand the compromise between shorter and quicker routes, etc which causes them to loose revenue.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
I think it is much better to learn something about the business first, then buy a truck, providing that is what you want to do. If you track expenses on the truck you currently drive, you will have a much better idea of what it will take when you buy a truck. Those who jump right in to ownership without first having some driving experience are usually in for some major shocks as to costs. There are many more costs involved in truck ownership than fuel.
This is exactly what I do. both on paper, and with software ie spread sheets, truckers helper.

Keep track of it, ALL OF IT! Fuel, repairs, mileage, etc. Find an accountant who can help you figure out you general tax responsibility's. It's shocking what you'll come up with

Old 04-26-2007, 04:29 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default Re: Owner Operators right out of school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danj_otr
Here is my take on things as I will eventually go to O/O. As I am learning how to be a better Big Truck driver, I am also learning the aspects of O/O too. I want to be sure that I am ready, and have a great deal of knowledge of what I am getting myself into.
Don't think that just because you know how to drive a truck that you'll be a successful o/o.

Quote:
I spoke with a Landstar driver some time ago and he made a good point. Don't lease from a company as it will cost you more right off the bat.
Hmm, not sure about that one. I could buy a brand new pre '07 emissions from Crete at aprox $20k less then what a dealer would charge at %7.75 interest regardless of my FICO score.

Quote:
Buy a used truck, keep it maintained, and then trade it in for a newer truck when you have the capital to cover the cost of the newer truck.
I agree with that. For your first truck you should buy used. I debated on whether or not to pay cash or spend a little more and keep my monthly payments manageable. You should also have at least $10k in the bank if you buy a used one IMO.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:08 AM
Board Regular

When I got all done with all the misc stuff, I was gung ho. I said this is easy!! I can be an owner operator!! Whats the big deal. I did say to myself though, wait see what the industry is like and then make a decision.

Well I am glad I did. My brother is an owner operator. I watched him, and I noticed he wanted to be home every weekend and couldnt pay his bills.

I also then realized that the lifestyle of the road was not for me. I was in a band before I hit the road. I had friends back home ETC...

I was glad I waited and did not jump into it. I like hanging out, I like playing my guitar and playing out in clubs and if anything happens at home I am screwed if I am in Cali.

So my advice to you if is if you are thinking of doing it. Make sure it is for you. DO NOT LEASE A TRUCK. If you can pay cash for it, hang for a few years and save some money. If you go into it with no truck payment you will have a better chance of making it!!

I have lots more I could say but thats my 2 cents. If you are going to do it, make sure you have done your research and have some kind of a plan together!!! Do not just jump into it!!

Good Luck
Old 04-26-2007, 11:27 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

One other thing to remember if you have no experience is that you may not find a carrier who will sign you to a lease. Most require from 6 months to 2 years or more driving experience before you will be allowed to sign on with them. You can get your authority, but will likely find it difficult and expensive to get insurance coverage. Most insurance companies require 2 years experience. Progressive will insure you but will not allow you to go beyond a 300 mile radius.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:42 PM
Board Regular
Default Re: Owner Operators right out of school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy
Don't think that just because you know how to drive a truck that you'll be a successful o/o.
Not saying that driving the truck will make me a successful o/o, but, the better you are as a driver, the less wear and tear you will have on your equipment thus reducing operating and repair costs.

As far as the leasing of trucks, well, it depends on the company. Some will take you to the cleaners while others will not.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:06 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

It isn't the weekly payment that will kill you with a lease truck, if you lease it from the carrier where you are leased. It is the extra costs involved and deducted from your settlements. If you want to keep the truck, you will need to either pay it off with outside financing or your own money or turn it back in to the carrier. There could be expensive penalties for failure to complete your lease. You are usually required to have a maintenance account. Some carriers will keep this money should you decide to leave. If you are thinking about leasing a truck from a carrier I suggest you do a search on this forum. We have addressed this issue on a number of occasions.