It can be done 8)
Old 04-27-2007, 04:26 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

This is a real good thread.

Like I said, I want to be sure I am as prepared as I can be! I know it is not necessarily easy but, I have already made some changes to my lifestyle that will help me transition when I do. One of which is finding an Accountant to do my taxes next year (lots of stuff to write off).

I am not expecting to go O/O for some time as I still need to decide which kind of vehicle fits my needs the best. I know there is a whole list of things besides that, but the big one right now is a comfortable and effective truck.

Yes, I love my 780 that I've got, even with it's issues. However, I got a lot of research to do!
Old 04-27-2007, 05:47 AM
Board Regular

Is it really worth one's while to be an o/o ? I mean, when you consider the nett income that you'd get to take home after all your expenses and liabilities, would it really be significantly higher than what you would make as a company driver, or marginally so ? And I'm not even taking into consideration the risks and hassles of owning one's own truck. Could somebody please enlighten me ?
Old 04-27-2007, 06:57 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymist
Is it really worth one's while to be an o/o ? I mean, when you consider the nett income that you'd get to take home after all your expenses and liabilities, would it really be significantly higher than what you would make as a company driver, or marginally so ? And I'm not even taking into consideration the risks and hassles of owning one's own truck. Could somebody please enlighten me ?
It really depends on how you want to work things IMO. If you run hard and are out for 2+ weeks at a time, then you can make it (especially if you are running teams or training). I have talked to numerous O/O's who are making good money, and have a truck that is in great shape.

Here is my perspective on owning your own truck. If you own your own truck, you know exactly what is going on with it, and you are able to do the minor repairs w/o having to rely on a company shop. You can run a configuration that works best for you, and you do not have to worry so much about the company butting in because it is your truck. Yes, companies have specific requirements for the truck, but, you are in control of most everything beyond the company (yeah, I'll catch flack for that one).

I am not saying that running as a company driver is bad, but how many times have you hard wired your inverter into your truck? How about refrigerator? Auxiliary Power Unit? Self Tracking Satellite Dish? Chances are that as a company driver, they are going to laugh in your face.

I also think there are 2 types of O/O's. The first is one who is contracted through a company such as Prime or Landstar, and then you have those who have their own Authority (again Landstar supposedly will allow you to do that). The only real difference between the two is that as a contractor, the company provides base plates, permits (in some cases), Qualcomm, and other benefits; whereas running under your own authority, you are responsible for everything.

If anything is incorrect, please let me know! This is the information I have gathered over time!
Old 04-27-2007, 07:05 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
It's more about freedom then money. freedom is not free...
Old 04-27-2007, 01:47 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:

It is worth it for me. I can do much better running my own authority than I would as a company driver. There are some who don't do as well as an owner operator as they may have driving for a company. Some of it has to do with the type of freight you haul. The main difference is how you manage your business. Not everyone is a good businessman. Some people need the structure of working for someone who plans their work for them. I could lease on to a carrier and do pretty well. I could also drive a company truck and earn a good living. It depends on what you enjoy and how comfortable you are at taking risks. Anytime you are in business you are taking a risk. I have been in business so long that I don't think much about it. For some, they have a difficult time dealing with the added risk factor of being the boss.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:54 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by danj_otr
Quote:
It really depends on how you want to work things IMO. If you run hard and are out for 2+ weeks at a time, then you can make it (especially if you are running teams or training). I have talked to numerous O/O's who are making good money, and have a truck that is in great shape.

Here is my perspective on owning your own truck. If you own your own truck, you know exactly what is going on with it, and you are able to do the minor repairs w/o having to rely on a company shop. You can run a configuration that works best for you, and you do not have to worry so much about the company butting in because it is your truck. Yes, companies have specific requirements for the truck, but, you are in control of most everything beyond the company (yeah, I'll catch flack for that one).

I am not saying that running as a company driver is bad, but how many times have you hard wired your inverter into your truck? How about refrigerator? Auxiliary Power Unit? Self Tracking Satellite Dish? Chances are that as a company driver, they are going to laugh in your face.

I also think there are 2 types of O/O's. The first is one who is contracted through a company such as Prime or Landstar, and then you have those who have their own Authority (again Landstar supposedly will allow you to do that). The only real difference between the two is that as a contractor, the company provides base plates, permits (in some cases), Qualcomm, and other benefits; whereas running under your own authority, you are responsible for everything.

If anything is incorrect, please let me know! This is the information I have gathered over time!

Most carriers will not allow you to have your own authority while leased to them. You can be a broker carrier with Landstar, but cannot lease to them while maintaining your own authority. Comparing Prime and Landstar is like comparing apples to oranges. They run an entirely different operation.

When you run your authority you are responsible for everything. With some carriers you may still be responsible for everything except filing your IFTA or fuel taxes. Some carriers pay the base plates and permits, others do not. It is usually the lower paying mileage carriers who pay your base-plates and permits. Percentage carriers such as Landstar will advance the cost of base-plates and permits, but it is the responsibility of the owner operator to reimburse them. They usually take out a fixed amount out of each settlement until the entire amount has been paid, which often includes an extra charge over and above their actual cost.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:27 PM
Board Regular

I started out as an owner operator, the only experience I had was some shunting experience and a couple months driving a day cab. I never even had any driver training. I had to learn everything myself. I never had anyone teach me how to slide tandems, or what to do when you go throught the scale, it was hard at first learning all the rules and such.

I was very young when I bought my first truck, I was so young that I couldn't get hired at a lot of places because they wanted drivers to cross the border and I was not old enought yet. I got on with a company running A-trains (double trailers) across Ontario. I did that for a while, tried doing flat bed and some other companies until I found a good job that suits me.

I have a good deal now, I usually only work 4 days, sometimes five, a week, I am home usually 2 1/2 or 3 days a week, I don't run hard, about 2500 or so miles per week, and I take off about 6 weeks or more a year.

I am not saying that everyone can go into it with no experience like I did, but you need to have good business sense, and a good plan, you need to look around and find the type of work that suits you,