User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2007, 05:21 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Not just truckers I guess

Well I was reading on another forum I frequent and they were talking about an article that appeared in Fortune magazine about the best big companies to work for and I saw this post in the forum:

I work for AMEX. 99K sounds about right for a Technologies PM. But keep in mind the corporate office is in NYC where the cost of living and thus the salaries tend to be higher than the rest of the country.

If you still feel bad, take the salary of anyone working for these "large corporations" and divide that by the number of hours they are putting in. The hourly rate is probably less than minimum wage

I just laughed cause I read that here a lot about trucking but never heard it about the $100+k jobs in the Fortune 500 world
Old 04-18-2007, 03:10 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I think most people could complain about not being paid for all the hours that they put in with their jobs unless they punch a clock. Most people who earn high salaries put in a lot of extra hours. I read an article once talking about executives and their average work week. I believe it was 55 hours average per week.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:06 PM
Rookie

That's true of a lot of salaried jobs. Talk to a public school teacher some time. Or any manager of a new local office, warehouse, etc. Or from my history, anyone in the military (12 to 18 hour days possible, we'll get hot food next week promise, 24 hour call out alert status for one week, etc).
Old 04-18-2007, 08:16 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
I think most people could complain about not being paid for all the hours that they put in with their jobs unless they punch a clock. Most people who earn high salaries put in a lot of extra hours. I read an article once talking about executives and their average work week. I believe it was 55 hours average per week.
when I was in retail management I was scheduled 55 hours a week. rarely did I ever leave on time.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:13 PM
Senior Board Member

I was told once upon a time that for salaried positions that they use anywhere between 65 and 80 hours a week to figure out your pay.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:36 AM
Board Regular

I wwas salary once.I didn't like it...made about 7 bucks an hour when I divided the wages by the hours. :sad: :sad:
Old 04-21-2007, 11:26 AM
Board Icon

Yep, I KNEW I made the right decision when I turned down that offer to be CEO of Enron, and went Truckin' instead!! :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:41 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
Yep, I KNEW I made the right decision when I turned down that offer to be CEO of Enron, and went Truckin' instead!! :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: thx for the laugh, this morning hobo! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 04-21-2007, 01:49 PM
Board Regular

I worked one entire week from 8AM to 4AM the next morning. Go to bed at 4 and up and working by 8. 120 hours. Only reason I did not work the extra 4 hours I was ordered to bed. But 127 Chinese was sent back to China.
Old 04-21-2007, 02:45 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Yes, you put in alot of hours at some of those jobs but how many of those people pull out a sleeping bag and sleep under their desks at the end of the day? All of those jobs you go home everynight to your family and at least get one day of the weekend off. Plus the upward mobility is there. I used to be an operations manager at FedEx Ground and if I hadn't got canned, would probably be making 50k or maybe even an assistant terminal manager pulling down $70,000/year. There's a guy 5 years older than me who became a TM and makes over $100,000 year. Home everynight and every weekend. FedEx stock options up the kazoo. He'll be a millionaire when he retires at 57 no problem.

After I got (burned) out of the OTR racket, I drove a forklift around in a warehouse for awhile and that was pure heaven compared to OTR. Sure, my 1040 was a bit lighter but I was paid for every hour I worked and best of all had a life at home outside of and away from the truck. I got to see all the stuff I missed spending so many (unpaid) hours in a sleeper truck. Things like friends, family, birthdays, Friday nights, girlfriends, ballgames, going out to Olive Garden, amusement parks, camping, etc, etc....like Kenny Chesney sang "man, that's the good stuff". Why would you want to give all that up living out of a truck for 40-50k?

With OTR, that 14X10 sleeper is your home for 2-4 weeks + weekends. No social life whatsoever. No upward mobility besides a penny raise every year and once you turn that key to the right, you're a driver buddy. Tough to transition to another profession and once you start seeing that grey hair in the mirror, you become trapped between those endless white lines. A true prisoner of the highway.

As far as the military, I did 4 years in the Air Force and yes you sometimes clock in alot of hours but as you move up the ranks, the $$$ and perks get much better. My friend stayed in and went to OCS (Officer Candidate School) and now he's a mustang captain pulling down really good money living in a FREE house on base in Southern California where the real estate and rents are astronomical. When he retires, he'll have a nice government pension and medical insurance for the rest of his life. He plays golf for free every Wednsday on the base course and he hangs out in the officer's lounge after work. Plus there's all kinds of training, GI Bill to pay for college, etc. The military can be a really good life if you play your cards right.