User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2007, 03:08 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I've never intentionally blown past a scale, but I've done it a time or two. Personally, I just look to see if a DOT man is dashing to his car. I drive real slow for a few miles, and no blue lights, hammer down.

It happens. Try not to let it happen too often.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:38 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvan
I've never intentionally blown past a scale, but I've done it a time or two. Personally, I just look to see if a DOT man is dashing to his car. I drive real slow for a few miles, and no blue lights, hammer down.

It happens. Try not to let it happen too often.
Remember. once is an accident, twice is a trend... :lol: :lol:
Old 04-14-2007, 03:46 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Remember. once is an accident, twice is a trend...

That's a good one
Old 04-14-2007, 02:32 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I spoke with a DOT guy once at a scale and he told me that the best thing to do if you miss the scale is to pull over and come into the scale. Most of the time, they will just let you continue about your business, but if you blow by the scale and they come after you, it could be a major fine, depending on the state. In addition, if they come after you, they could turn you around, take you back to the scale and go over your paperwork and truck with a fine tooth comb. They could cost you a couple of hours time, if they so choose.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:49 PM
Board Regular

Talked with a driver that was going west across 84 outside of Boise Idaho. Trucks were backed out onto the freeway so he by passed the scale. Needless to say dot went after him made him come back to the scale done a full blown inspection on the truck. He ended up with a $191.00 ticket. One of our drivers did the same thing on the scale southbound on I5 at Kelso in Washington and got a $125.00 ticket.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:15 PM
Senior Board Member

I've done it twice.
I slowed way down and waited, but nothing happened the first time south of Charlotte.
Second time was on a two lane road (24) in Illinios going to Indiana. I stopped and walked back. "Turn it around and cross the scale" he said. So I did.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:37 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmate1577
I missed a scale outside Washington DC on the 495. The road exits to the left for the scale.
That is the craziest, most ill-conceived weigh station I have ever seen. I used to go around the bottom just to miss that stupid scale, even though I was going to Baltimore. You don't have to cross it if you go across the bottom. Or you didn't back then. I haven't been up around Suicide Circle in many happy years.

One of the more memorable times I crossed that scale was the night the DC sniper shot that lady outside Home Depot. There were full grown bears blocking every exit ramp, and they were herding all the traffic in Virginia to the Maryland line. I was caught up in that for hours within sight of Maryland, sitting on that bridge.

When they finally cut us loose, that stupid scale was open, and I was the only truck around. He pulled me in and inspected me, probably just because he hadn't had anything to do for hours, and he was bored. I had been held up for four or five hours, maybe six, because I had been in bad construction traffic all night too, and maybe a big wreck or something too. The inspection was the icing on the cake. I had to get up to Baltimore and unload in a couple of hours. Of course the schedule never stops just because it took you nine hours to make a five hour trip, does it?

Ah, memories.

Anyway, THAT is the scale I've blown past a time or two. Small world. (I don't think more than two.)
Old 04-14-2007, 07:56 PM
Board Icon

silvan, still no scales on the southern portion of the Beltway around DC.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:30 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by inmate1577
I missed a scale outside Washington DC on the 495. The road exits to the left for the scale.
That is the craziest, most ill-conceived weigh station I have ever seen. I used to go around the bottom just to miss that stupid scale, even though I was going to Baltimore. You don't have to cross it if you go across the bottom. Or you didn't back then. I haven't been up around Suicide Circle in many happy years.

One of the more memorable times I crossed that scale was the night the DC sniper shot that lady outside Home Depot. There were full grown bears blocking every exit ramp, and they were herding all the traffic in Virginia to the Maryland line. I was caught up in that for hours within sight of Maryland, sitting on that bridge.

When they finally cut us loose, that stupid scale was open, and I was the only truck around. He pulled me in and inspected me, probably just because he hadn't had anything to do for hours, and he was bored. I had been held up for four or five hours, maybe six, because I had been in bad construction traffic all night too, and maybe a big wreck or something too. The inspection was the icing on the cake. I had to get up to Baltimore and unload in a couple of hours. Of course the schedule never stops just because it took you nine hours to make a five hour trip, does it?

Ah, memories.

Anyway, THAT is the scale I've blown past a time or two. Small world. (I don't think more than two.)

+1
I wasnt too concerned and I certainly wasnt going to take my chances at going back. It was my first time through DC going 95, normally I route to the west but for some reason the Co. thought I should have a little city driving time :roll:
But hard experience has taught me that if you get off the interstate in major city for whatever reason.......chances are you aint getting back on as easily as you got off. :lol:
The load was good and it had been scaled before I left the shipper and weighed at 3 stations since leaving Penn.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:36 PM
Senior Board Member

I'd rather explain to the jdge why i passed a over-flowing scalehouse than explain to him why I had my rear-end out on the highway and caused the minivan with a family of 5 to slam into me and cause fatalities.