Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: for4roses.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvan
[
Quote:
and truck stop bathrooms with sh*t smeared on the walls
False. I've never seen this anywhere, and I've been into some seriously skanky run down sh!thole truckstops. They may be nasty, but not covered with sh!t.
Actually, it's not completely false. I encountered this at a Loves in OK. No the shit wasn't smeared all over the walls but apparently someone managed to finger their corn hole before fingering a roll of toilet paper. I picked it up and got someone else's shit all over my fingers, needless to say I was not a happy camper. After that I inspect the situation carefully and have run into one or two bathrooms with a little smeared on the walls. That being said it obviously is not that prevalent, especially if you stick to big truck stops and try and take care of business when you shower. I would say 90% of the times, in my experience, the bathrooms/showers were acceptable.

To the OP,
If these things are a big concern for you just run down to one of the local truck stops and check it out for yourself. I think everyone else pretty much covered the TV thing. I would add whatever company he decides to go with keep in mind they may have rules as to what you can have. Some will allow big inverters, some wont allow more than a plug-in that won't run much of anything. They may also have rules about hanging a satellite dish from their truck. I would look into satellite radio and looking at internet options. There are a lot of download options available these days.

My other thought is you guys are jumping head first into this. I hope you like it.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:58 PM
Senior Board Member

I hardly have any time to watch my TV, and when I do, I hardly get reception. I mostly watch DVD's (again- when I get a chance to) and usually fall asleep 1/2 way through it 8)

20, 50, or 70 dollars a month on satellite TV isn't in my budget, ut XM radio is lol :lol:
Old 04-08-2007, 01:41 AM
Senior Board Member

drivers*wife
if one of your kids has direct tv have THEN sign up for direct tv moble. YOU will need to get the dish and box for your truck but you only have to pay your kids $6.95 a month for it.

anyone that has direct tv at home can get direct tv moble as an add on
Old 04-08-2007, 01:47 AM
Senior Board Member

chech this out
http://www.kvh.com/pop_ups/tcm_channels_alpha.htm
Old 04-08-2007, 02:29 AM

To the OP: Many truck stops have 'Books on Tape' type clubs where you can get a book at one truck stop, then return it down the road and get another.
Personally I liked reading. If I could have afforded a laptop I would have gone that route; games, message boards. I won't go too much into that but there are some guys here who know a lot about it if you think that might interest you.
You can get really cheap DVDs at most major truck stops, like $8.00 or so. The selection varies.
While you're driving, why not try some self improvement? I read a lot of history books myself, maybe you would want to read about finance or maybe even work on an online degree?
Whatever you decide, good luck to you! I know your husband will appreciate having someone to talk to, it gets mighty lonesome out there sometimes.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:24 AM
Rookie

Thanks so much for the ideas, I have been considering getting my Realtors license and I think I can take the classes online so self-improvement may be the way to go. Thank you for the input. I checked into the mobile satellite deal and the box and dish are $3000.00 :shock: so we'll pass on that for now. I also like the book club idea. I've never listened to a book, but will be happy to give it a try.
Thanks to all of you, be safe.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:30 AM

My wife and I did exactly what you are going to do...when I went OTR, she rode with me for about 6 months. here is how we saved money..

Most important....dont eat at truckstops but once a week...you can get an inexpensive inverter (runs regular appliances off cig lighter) and a crock pot. we would do stew or roast (something like that) would feed us for 2 days, then eat out, then cook something else...the largest expence you will have is for food...

a TV with DVD player and movies...the movies for when you have no TV signal, and you can get a antenna for when you are near a city...(no cable channels this way, but saves more money)

Books on tape.. available at most truckstops...rent one at one truckstop return it to another,,,helps pass the time

satellite radio.....there are many places you wont hear anything else

while you are out there, dont take time off at home, take your days off where ever you want, get a motel room, rent a car, and see the sights, you wont have much time while on a load, but most companies will let you take your days off anywhere.

My wife asked what I am typing and here are her tips:

dont give up the house until you have made a couple of trips with him to make sure you will be ok with living on a truck. she says it is hard to put everything special to you in storage and leave it behind.

you will make up games to play to pass the time(ours was what do the cows say...New york cows say "moo muther f*&ker" we now have cow sayings for most states...it started one night driving through Louisiana with Le Moo...still makes her laugh 2 years later...

she says you will be very bored...bring books, learn to crochet, you will have to find something to pass the time...

you WILL get tired of each other...just storm off to the sleeper and slam the curtain (yes a curtain will slam...I have heard it enough) and make up...you will be in to small an area to fight...

shower at truck stops...you can both use the same shower...hint hint...

with him starting out, expect to be a navigator and ground guide...without my wife I would have never backed into someof the spots that I did...

but most of all, have fun and enjoy each other....and stop to see the sights when you can....it will be something you can tell your kids and family about...

thats about all for now...
if you want I can give you my wifes email (she has been there done that)

good luck and have fun
Rick

p.s. if you wnat the list of cow sayings, let me know.....
Old 04-08-2007, 03:32 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivers*wife*
Thanks so much for the ideas, I have been considering getting my Realtors license and I think I can take the classes online so self-improvement may be the way to go. Thank you for the input. I checked into the mobile satellite deal and the box and dish are $3000.00 :shock: so we'll pass on that for now. I also like the book club idea. I've never listened to a book, but will be happy to give it a try.
Thanks to all of you, be safe.
Audio books are a great way to pass the time. I am slowly building a library. Mostly, they are books I have already read. I find myself getting more out of the audio books. I'm about to invest in some Spanish Language CD's and I'm thinking about the Bible, also.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:42 AM
Rookie

WOW!! Thank you Sgt_D, and even more, thank you Sgt_D's wife :lol:
I appreciate all that advice more than you know.
So just a regular old TV and some bunny ears will work near a big city?
Then, the crock pot....cool idea, thank you! But where would you peel the veggies? or rinse the meat? Maybe dumb questions, sorry, but I am very new to this so bear with me :sad:
We've already given up the home, it has been an apartment for the past year and we are out the end of April so we'll get through it, we have no choice. Maybe I can PM you and talk to your wife?
Thanks again.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:42 AM
Rookie

Drivers*Wife*.... To answer your question about the showering together, the answer is yes! I traveled two months with my fiance and now am going to get my CDL. Now, some of the showers are nice, and other's not-so-nice - most are kinda cramped, but you usually also have a toilet, sink, mirror, fan, electical outlet. Be sure to use shower shoes and pack lightly. With the smallness of the shower-rooms, you'll probably need to get a system - my fiance and I did. It was also nice to have the time together outside of the truck without so many people around! Good luck and have fun... we had a blast together on the road.

Safe driving everybody.... :lol: