User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2007, 09:03 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Hey Golfhobo,
There are several small cottages style hotels in Glenwood just north of I-70 and west of the Hot Springs, you can also stay at the hot springs if you like it may be a little costly but is a great time. Its been a while since I have been there so I cant really tell you of any truck stops but I would imagine there is at least one stop west of Glenwood between the Springs and Rifle. You will also find some hotels west on 82 towards Aspen.
I was just telling my wife the other day how I wish I had taken more time in the late 70's and very early 80's to really stop and enjoy the canyon as it was when it was two lanes, I can still remember driving I-70 as a two lane interstate and friving through downtown Parachute on our way to the Western SLope.

I envy you this weekend, Enjoy yourself....

It Is What It Is.

Timberwolf
Old 04-24-2007, 02:04 AM
Senior Board Member

In many towns in California the city council meetings are held in Spanish. If you only speak english you have to get a headset and listen to a translator. Now that is bull**t. Newcomers are supposed to conform to American customs. Instead we find ourselves having to conform to newcomers. I read that the city of New York spends sometimg like 20 million dollars a year just to keep translators around. What a monumental waste of money. But hey, I'm just a minority. I choose to speak only english.

Are you willing to die to take them away from me?
Old 04-26-2007, 01:42 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
On a lighter note: I need some help! (don't say it, RoadHog! :lol: )

This week, I get to return to God's country again. Going to Glenwood Springs! Yee haw! But, I left my truckstop guide in my truck.

Anyone know if there's a good truckstop nearby? Or other place to park? How about a cheap motel?

(I'll be coming from Denver.)

BTW, Merrick.... how are things? You still with LCT?
Hey Golf. Yes I'm still with LCT for a short while longer. I want to get my 6 months in. Drivers are quiting like crazy. I'm on another bad load, 8 days from Florida to Oregon. But rented another car and today I climbed Multnomah falls. Words can't even express how beautiful that was. I am embarrassed to say I had never even heard of the columbia river gorge but it was amazing for me to see. I then went over to Bonneville dam and did the tour. I actually got to watch a barge go through the lock. Have you been there?

The only thing is the weather is cloudy and rainy here. I couldn't live here but it sure was nice to visit.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:31 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick4
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
On a lighter note: I need some help! (don't say it, RoadHog! :lol: )

This week, I get to return to God's country again. Going to Glenwood Springs! Yee haw! But, I left my truckstop guide in my truck.

Anyone know if there's a good truckstop nearby? Or other place to park? How about a cheap motel?

(I'll be coming from Denver.)

BTW, Merrick.... how are things? You still with LCT?
Hey Golf. Yes I'm still with LCT for a short while longer. I want to get my 6 months in. Drivers are quiting like crazy. I'm on another bad load, 8 days from Florida to Oregon. But rented another car and today I climbed Multnomah falls. Words can't even express how beautiful that was. I am embarrassed to say I had never even heard of the columbia river gorge but it was amazing for me to see. I then went over to Bonneville dam and did the tour. I actually got to watch a barge go through the lock. Have you been there?

The only thing is the weather is cloudy and rainy here. I couldn't live here but it sure was nice to visit.
I was in Portland two weeks ago, and go about every other month. I LOVE the Columbia River Gorge! If you go often enough, you'll get to see it when the sun is shining and it is beautiful!

I usually don't have the extra time you have right now, but sometimes I do. I'm embarrassed to say that I HAVEN'T rented the car and gone sightseeing yet. Another great trip is that little triangle that goes from Portland northwest to the coast, then down it for aways, then northeast back into Portland. You'll have to SEE that coastline to believe it.

Have you noticed the little signs up there that indicate that you are travelling on the Lewis and Clark Trail?? Amazing.

I lived in Seattle when I was young, and we got down there several times. But, when I saw it again as a trucker.... I was totally MOVED!!

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:41 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberWolf
Hey Golfhobo,
There are several small cottages style hotels in Glenwood just north of I-70 and west of the Hot Springs, you can also stay at the hot springs if you like it may be a little costly but is a great time. Its been a while since I have been there so I cant really tell you of any truck stops but I would imagine there is at least one stop west of Glenwood between the Springs and Rifle. You will also find some hotels west on 82 towards Aspen.
I was just telling my wife the other day how I wish I had taken more time in the late 70's and very early 80's to really stop and enjoy the canyon as it was when it was two lanes, I can still remember driving I-70 as a two lane interstate and friving through downtown Parachute on our way to the Western SLope.

I envy you this weekend, Enjoy yourself....

It Is What It Is.

Timberwolf
Thanks for the tips, Wolf, but I was allready gone. Anyway... I didn't get there as early as I'd planned, so it was not really an option. found a spot for the truck and slept there. Took a cab downtown and had a few brews with the locals.

Weather was nasty going over Buffalo Herd Overlook, and turned to snow west of the tunnell, but dried up around Vail. I was totally amazed to find myself hugging the mountainside on the NEW westbound viaduct. I remembered the canyon as a two lane at river level also!

The next morning, I heard they were getting snow on the front slope and in Denver, so I went through Rifle and Craig on my way up to and through Wyoming. Had two drops in western Montana. I guess God had a little magic left after making Colorado, so he "spruced up" Montana as well. Took State Hwy 3 from Billings up to Great Falls, and thought I was in heaven!

I STILL can't believe they PAY me to do this job!!! 8)

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.