User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2007, 09:22 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD60
Coldfrostymug is absolutley right. Having 6 days to an 1800-mile run is ridiculous unless it paid a high rate to an O/O. For a company truck that gets paid by the mile me thinks someone in the office isn't doing their job right. Trucking is a JOB,not a hobby. An idling truck burns and wastes fuel that could have been used to stay on the road to turn a profit,even if it is a slim one. :lol:
Truck management isn't Merricks problem..it is the problem of his managers. As for leaving the truck running unattended..that is not good.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:12 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
Quote:
Coldfrostymug is absolutley right. Having 6 days to an 1800-mile run is ridiculous unless it paid a high rate to an O/O. For a company truck that gets paid by the mile me thinks someone in the office isn't doing their job right. Trucking is a JOB,not a hobby. An idling truck burns and wastes fuel that could have been used to stay on the road to turn a profit,even if it is a slim one. :lol:
Truck management isn't Merricks problem..it is the problem of his managers. As for leaving the truck running unattended..that is not good.
Uh,that's what I meant. That is why I said someone in the OFFICE isn't doing their job right.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:01 AM
Senior Board Member

Ok day 2 done. Another great day. Went to tour the mines in Cripple Creek and then went to Seven Falls. Amazing how those poor bastards worked in the mine. They crammed 5 adults and two children in the elevator to go down to the shaft, thought I was going to have a panic attack I heard the tour guide, an acutal miner say that those were the only jobs in town. Well then move to another town! Nice guy though. No Golfhobo I didn't see the old mill but there was so much to see. I had never even heard of Colorado Springs but I would without a doubt come back there on vacation.

I would like to comment on a couple of things that have been posted here. I don't know why the word hobby has been interjected here. I think the word hobby is being confused with perks of the job. My JOB was to drive from Florida to Denver. This I did without stopping or fooling around. One of the PERKS was my JOB took me to a place that I otherwise wouldn't have had a chance to see. This is no different than a traveling salesman who frequently finds himself in different cities. As a matter of fact I know one guy right now whose job is to go to different cell phone kiosks around the country in the airports to check on things. Actually I'm not sure what he does there but I know he has been seeing the sights on his free time.

Anyway today I called the head of operations and of course at first I'm just another whining driver, but when I explained everything, well only a fool would allow a company to be run like this. So he's switching my dispatcher and said he was going to talk to the Florida planner. He couldn't understand why someone would dispatch a load like this. I won't be here too much longer anyway.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:10 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick4
I would like to comment on a couple of things that have been posted here. I don't know why the word hobby has been interjected here. I think the word hobby is being confused with perks of the job. My JOB was to drive from Florida to Denver. This I did without stopping or fooling around. One of the PERKS was my JOB took me to a place that I otherwise wouldn't have had a chance to see. This is no different than a traveling salesman who frequently finds himself in different cities. As a matter of fact I know one guy right now whose job is to go to different cell phone kiosks around the country in the airports to check on things. Actually I'm not sure what he does there but I know he has been seeing the sights on his free time.

Anyway today I called the head of operations and of course at first I'm just another whining driver, but when I explained everything, well only a fool would allow a company to be run like this. So he's switching my dispatcher and said he was going to talk to the Florida planner. He couldn't understand why someone would dispatch a load like this. I won't be here too much longer anyway.
Don't mind CFM. That is what he does. Check his previous posts. Hopping into any thread with posts of the slightest hint of frustration from disgruntled OTR driver and pouncing like a tiger.

LTL RULES! OTR SUCKS! QUIT WASTING YOUR TIME! COME DRIVE LTL! YOU MAKE NO MONEY RUNNING OTR! blah blah blah

Over and over. Of course he has a point. OTR drivers do work for free some of the time. But he fails to acknowledge that not everyone can drive LTL (only so many jobs, right?) and not everyone wants to drive city traffic or make multiple stops everyday or haul doubles/triples in a line haul situation.

The bottom line is if you're happy, you're happy.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:29 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin
Don't mind CFM. That is what he does. Check his previous posts. Hopping into any thread with posts of the slightest hint of frustration from disgruntled OTR driver and pouncing like a tiger.

LTL RULES! OTR SUCKS! QUIT WASTING YOUR TIME! COME DRIVE LTL! YOU MAKE NO MONEY RUNNING OTR! blah blah blah

Over and over. Of course he has a point. OTR drivers do work for free some of the time. But he fails to acknowledge that not everyone can drive LTL (only so many jobs, right?) and not everyone wants to drive city traffic or make multiple stops everyday or haul doubles/triples in a line haul situation.

The bottom line is if you're happy, you're happy.
I know about him, it's just that someone else mentioned it too. I actually have no problem with ColdFrosty talking about OTR they way he does since a lot of it is true. What aggravates me about him is he has a job that pays $22 an hour and he gets to wear a uniform (you couldn't pay me enough to wear a uniform) and he talks about it like he's Hugh Hefner; like he's made it in life. Let him go over to the FatWallet finiance forum talking about his $22 an hour with a uniform job and he would be laughed off in about 3 minutes. Don't get me wrong $22 is a decent paying job, but let's be realistic here. That's all he talks about. At the end of my life I'd like to say I did more than just earn $22 an hour and got to wear a uniform. This week I made nothing but I will remember what I saw in the last couple of days for a lifetime.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:40 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: What can i do in Denver

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFrostyMug
Quote:
Well I'm an LCT driver which means I have too much time on my hands. 6 days for an 1800 mile (not to mention 2 days waiting on the load), so I took my time and did it in 3. Now I have a couple of days.
Why do you guys put up with that nonsense? If I saw such a pre-plan come across my Qualcomm, the first thing I would've done was to call the consignee and see if I could deliver early. If not, the next step would be to call my dispatcher and ask if he's go anything else besides that garbage. If he said "No", then I'd ask him where he wanted his truck turned in.

Like Aaron Tippen said, "You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything." Don't listen to all these hobby truckers. You're out there for one reason and one reason alone and that's to make $$$$$. And you just can't do that sitting around for free spending it.
Believe me I know that. Really I'm surprised at you ColdFrosty, because what I could have done is went there and went on standby (I couldn't get them by phone) now if I did that I'd be sitting there for free. On top of that I was going to hit the dispatcher up and get me an earlier appmt, but I figured that if I did that then I'd be on standby for the next load and as I'm not paid for being on standby I'm not doing it. So I know when I have my appointment and other than that my time is free and their truck is idling at the truck stop. If I'm not making money, neither are they.

On top of that I have learned with this company that even if I hurry up it won't matter. I've reset my hours 3 times in the last 8 days. I'm just with a starter company and will be leaving shortly. Lambast me if you want if I'm still here 6 months from now.

Honestly I did see so much time on this load at first but I figured I could just get it bumped up but for the above stated reasons I decided not to.

Anyway I had a great day, saw some beautiful things and it didn't cost me a dime to get here. Last week I spent the day with a childhood friend up in New England and it didn't cost me a dime to get there either. Other than that, just biding my time until I move on.

By the way, not everything in life is about money either. I'm am not out here for that one stated reason as you say. If it was only about money I would have stayed local. I live in South Florida where all is about money. Keeping up with the Jones etc, but as I stood before Pikes Peak today I had such a sense of awe that really no money can bring.

Don’t listen to CFM, everything that he types is pure shi$. Nothing in his life is better than yours, he just wishes it was. He talks a big game, but that’s all it is in the end, it makes him feel better, while he is sitting in the welfare line. Remember its all just words when its typed on the Internet, and no one knows if all the bragging he spouts off with is true. I for one think he has his head up his as$. It’s just a ploy to get people feeling as bad as he is......... He just doesn’t know how to make the OTR system work for him, plain and simple..........
By the way CFM, don’t bother responding to this, you’re a sorry case for a human being!!!! And frankly most here are tired of your pompas as# of coarse this is my opinion, and I’m sticking to it!!!!!!
Old 04-04-2007, 02:43 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagerbomber
Its nice to see that a certain someone still likes to remind us all on almost every single thread that we are all wasting our time while he has moved on to bigger better and far superior jobs than we have. Does it ever get old posting the same general thing everytime?Just curious, not pointing at any particular person or calling any names.... :roll:
Ya, you are pointing fingrs, He is a as% hole, dont worry about him, makes him feel better, but he is still left wanting at the end of the day!!!!....lol
Old 04-04-2007, 03:08 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:

Uh,that's what I meant. That is why I said someone in the OFFICE isn't doing their job right.

You are right DD...my bad...I was hungry and tired when I posted..and did not see the "someone in the Office" part of the post!

My humblest apology. ops: ops: :wink:

Merrick...glad you have enjoyed Denver....now you need to make it to Vail and Aspen! Both are great...year around.

:idea:

WAIT! You missed Gunnison..Southfork.....Pagosa Springs....Telluride..Ouray....Silverton...Durango ...... DUDE Your just gonna have to do some more sight seeing :!: :!: :!:

Drive from Durango to Ouray in a truck...and you know you have been on a Mountain!!!
Old 04-04-2007, 03:51 AM
Board Icon

But, stay OFF of "Wolf Creek Pass" until you can sing the song while downshifting through smoking brakes! :lol:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:20 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Drive from Durango to Ouray in a truck...and you know you have been on a Mountain!!!
THAT has to be one of the most beautiful awe inspiring stretches of road around...tho I wouldn't probably be saying that with 80K lbs taggin along behind. I spent a long weekend two falls ago in Siverton and drove/hiked that area. Too bad the narrow guage Durango-Silverton RR was closed for the season.....

If you get a chance, make it down that way this time or another.