User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2007, 09:41 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Did I do the right thing?

I went into my doctors for a routine physical a few days before I was to start orientation with US Express. She looked in my throat and asked if I had sleep apnea. I said I didn,t know. Talked it over with my wife and I found out I not only stop breathing for a few seconds but I also cough and choke sometimes. I knew already that I snored. Sometimes it,s so loud I drive the wife out of our bedroom. Now my doctor and my wife want me to do some sleep study thing. I guess this can lead to more serious problems down the road like high blood pressure and heart problems. So I called the recruiter at USX and asked if I could put things on hold until I got this checked out. She said it was no problem but something in her voice sounded like I just killed my chances with them and maybe got a lable of some kind. I,m told this could take a month or more. Damn Irish luck of mine! Any advice you guys on this site could give would be awesome. I do listen. I,m not giving up on becoming a pro truck driver. I,ve never had to work so hard so hard to start any other career before and I,m more determined than ever to make this work.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:00 PM
Board Regular

My philosophy's always been to be up front. If you didn't say anything and something happened to you on the road you might regret the consequences later. Doing it this way you'll know what's what and get it dealt with properly and now. I think if the company tells you that's there's no problem they'd stand behind their words. I know, maybe i'm just too optomistic about people. I hope things work out for the best for you. Let us know how things are going O.K. ? Drive safe everyone.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:51 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Actually...many Driver's may have sleep apnea....and just not know it. Like you...many don't recognize the problem, since it occurs during sleep.
There are symtoms you can notice that will be indicators, as well as if you fit the profile, and have a family medical history of this.

Go to www.sleepapnea.org if you want to learn more about this.

If you have a CDL, you risk loosing it...and your livelihood. The FMCSA is working on getting the time shortened between treatment and getting back on the road.
Once diagnosed with sleep apnea...a FMCSA-certified medical examiner must certify that the treatment is working, and this process is talking of weeks out of work. Thus...many current Driver's are unwilling to seek treatment, or even talk to a Doctor...if they suspect this may be a problem for them.

But...dianosis is easy and painfree...and there is treatment for any level of the problem from mild to severe....and the health improvement makes it absolutely worthwhile.

Anyway Black Hart...good for you. The biggest challenge is recognizing the problem. You can get good treatment, be healthier...and your Driving career can get off on the right foot. You did the right thing...mostly for yourself!! US Express is upset you are not filling a truck seat. When you are ready...the door will be open...don't worry.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:47 AM
Senior Board Member

Yes you did the right thing and if USX has a problem with this and turn you down then that is their problem, not yours.

At the very least, if you do have sleep apnea, it interferes with your ability to reach REM sleep which is where the most restful sleep occurs. Not getting enough REM sleep will leave you feeling tired the next day, which means you are not as alert and this is a bad thing for anyone, especially a driver.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:48 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the feedback guys! Hopefully this is not a serious problem for me and I can get it dealt with quickly so I can get out there on the road.
The link to the apnea site was awesome too. Knowlage is a wonderful thing.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:40 PM
Board Regular

I would deny everything until something falls off.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:00 PM
Rookie

Hi guys. Thought I,d post an update on my situation. I was able to get in to see a sleep doctor on a cancelation yesterday. Had to do some begging ,but it worked,so I don,t care how it looked. The doctor said although I don,t fit the profile for someone with sleep apnea,( I,m 6-1 and on the thin side) and I checked out on the exam ok. He still thought I should have a sleep study done to be sure. So now I have to sit and wait to get in and have that done. Then I,ll have to wait for a week or so for the results. On the plus side it will give me time to do more research. Just found a site for CFI. Hmmm. USX.....CFI... something to think about.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hart
Hi guys. Thought I,d post an update on my situation. I was able to get in to see a sleep doctor on a cancelation yesterday. Had to do some begging ,but it worked,so I don,t care how it looked. The doctor said although I don,t fit the profile for someone with sleep apnea,( I,m 6-1 and on the thin side) and I checked out on the exam ok. He still thought I should have a sleep study done to be sure. So now I have to sit and wait to get in and have that done. Then I,ll have to wait for a week or so for the results. On the plus side it will give me time to do more research. Just found a site for CFI. Hmmm. USX.....CFI... something to think about.
Don't know for sure but I would check with anoter doctor... sounds like everything checked out okay and your fine but go spend money for more like a sleep study.... i was sick and one doctor said uhh don't know and another said well could be and when my family doctor was in and he said it is your thyroid and we checked it , wow bingo one knew but not sure other had no clue but my doctor knew... so always check and double check when it comes to yer health, got in a car wreck and broke my neck, did not see a doctor after a few years my body was going numb, doctors had no clue, mom went to a chiropracter and when he walked in he said man does your neck hurt and refered me to a nueroligist wittout even touching me or knowing anything, my mom wen to get her bones popped and I was just sittin there next day was in major surgery and had peices of my hip put in my neck, that was real close call for me and the doctors ad no clue but a chiro bone popper knew and saved my life , so yeah maybe consult and research online about your health issues, talk to everyone who knows medicine , even your mom, ask her what she thinks, you never know.......
Old 03-16-2007, 12:31 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the advice. I do plan to go have the sleep study done if for nothing else than to give my wife some peace of mind. I do listen to my family doctor too. She,s already caught a couple of things that could have shortened my life considerably. Smart lady! I have health insurance and money isn,t a big issue. I just have to be patient and get this checked out even though I,m going nuts not being able to get out there on the road! I just hope I don,t get a hassle for so much time passing since I got done with school. We,ll see.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:18 AM
Board Icon

I hope you have insurance. Sleep studies are expensive. They're annoying, too.

Once, when I was getting my med card renewed, I made the mistake of checking "yes" that I had trouble sleeping. The doctor wouldn't give me a new med card, and left me out in the cold on what to do to rectify the situation. I couldn't get in at my primary physician (he was booked for several months). It took some begging and pleading to get into him, and he set up a sleep study. It turned out negative, so they started sending me to shrinks, to see if I had depression. That turned out negative, and finally, I just went to another clinic to get my med card, and made sure not to check "yes" for that question, and passed with flying colors.

It took me about 3 weeks to fix the situation, so that was 3 weeks without income. I still don't know why I have trouble falling asleep, but it doesn't really matter, as I generally give myself around 15 hours every night in the sleeper berth.