User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2007, 08:58 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I watched a truck get tagged as overheight at that very same spot on 95 in NC. The yellow lights flashed in tandem with a huge sign that says "overheight vehicle: use the bypass." The bypass, is simply taking the off-ramp, stopping at the stop sign, and re-entering the highway at the other side of the bridge.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:59 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
Those sticks to measure how high you are cost almost $200 bucks. You can buy a fiberglass branch trimmer for much less at Home Depot. Take off the saw blade and put a piece of wood on then mark the rod with a magic marker to indicate height. I think they 10' long and extend to 20' and cost under $75.00.
Hmm interesting...save you're money I call it (using the tape measure the ones that can go 30ft. Sure they would get a little wobbly over 19ft. (minor details) lol.

But a stick measuring thing Interesting. Indeed. Good advice =D
Old 03-10-2007, 10:17 PM

This was in 1992 before the lights and warning device.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:47 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglymutt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphys Law CJ7
That particular overpass has a height restriction on it and has a warning light if you are overheight.

Seems like someone wasnt paying attention... :roll:

BINGO, you got it...... I have noticed most truck drivers don't pay attention to signs, I see them parked where the sign is in front of them saying NO PARKING, they just don't see signs and don't care, they are professionals now and going down the road I look at every sign, its a habit that keeps my eyes moving... I was going down road and saw a low clearance sign saying 12' 9" so I whipped over to the dirt and went damn these directions are wrong, then a truck came flying by me and went through the tunnel, and another truck said its okay FFE you will fit the sign is wrong, but at least I saw the sign and stopped to check it out.. another truck was flying and zoomin he was speeding got about 50 feet in front of tunnel and saw in big print 12' 9" and he started smokin his tires and got half way into tunnel and was stopped, he cleared it but he should of seen that big bold sign from 300 feet back not 50 feet, what was he looking at ??, the 12' 9" was right in front of him at eye level, right above the tunnel, hehehehe it just shows he didn't look until it would of been to late if that tunnel was actually 12' 9".... so BINGO now pay attention to the signs....
I cring when I have to take a non truck route road. I just wait for that surprise 'gotcha!' 12"6' sign or 9"6' railroad overpass. :roll: Havent had the pleasure of having to back out of one of those pickles before but Ive been down many roads with weight limit bridges that defy logic.

Take for instance: Had to get to this mill and the only road to it has a weight limit bridge of 20 tons. Welp, running empty, no biggy, but loaded, it's different. Oddly enough, dump trucks run that bridge all the time over 40 tons, but it just gives me that sinking feeling running over it at 40 tons.

I told my dispatcher if I fall in, they were paying the fine. When you in a situation that your unsure of, always call.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:18 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Take for instance: Had to get to this mill and the only road to it has a weight limit bridge of 20 tons. Welp, running empty, no biggy, but loaded, it's different. Oddly enough, dump trucks run that bridge all the time over 40 tons, but it just gives me that sinking feeling running over it at 40 tons.
Here where I am at in Robeson County North Carolina they are reassessing some of the bridges on county roads. So bridges with no markings or maybe assessed at 40 Tons are now getting new signs with a stronger weight restriction.

I am assuming they use some formula that calculates how many times at what weight will the bridge probably fail at some confidence level. So, yep a heavy truck might cross ok and then the magic truck crosses and whammm :shock: BTW) If the sign says 5 tons for semi's .. yand you weight 40 tons you can bet you will be the magic truck .. :wink:

So like your story, trucks have been running legally for quite some time over these bridges, but now the local authorities have decided that not so safely. I at first considered it was political to get trucks off the back roads, but I saw a crew taking soil samples and inspecting a bridge. I assume there are some new efforts being made. So .. the newbie says "Hey trucks have been going across that bridge for years .. why me?!?!" ops:
Old 03-18-2007, 04:02 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Watch out for that ..... Low Bridge (sign)

I just drove from one end of NC to the other on I95 and I noticed that the bridge clearance signs are posted at 1 mile out and about 8 foot high. There are no bridge clearance signs on the actual bridges.

So if you are used to seeing low clearance on the bridge, and you are talking on your cell phone thus missing the two yellow signs on each side of the highway ... you might hit a low bridge. 14'1" is the lowest bridge, which will clear a 14' van .. but might effect a car hauler ... :wink: