User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2007, 12:58 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
We always tried to be at or below 13'8" except running into New England. You need to be at or below 13'6" in that area.
I got 2 bridges by me that are below 13' (12' 6"). Admittedly, trucks almost never go through those areas.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:34 AM
Default Re: Watch out for that ..... Low Bridge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackaces
debris hit another Mercedes Benz S500 causing "substantial damage.
What luck!

I guess it beats having a McLaren F1 or a Bugatti Veyron get clobbered. :lol:
Old 03-08-2007, 01:19 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmate1577
Car hauler dude sounds like another member of the "I've done it million times" club.

Like the guys who go flying down Monteagle...."Hell with the brake check, I've done it hundreds of times"

If I had that kind of intuition that everything was going to be just fine, hell I'd play the lottery more.
Speaking of Lottery!

BRAVO to the carpet hauler in Georgia!!!!
Old 03-08-2007, 01:25 AM
Senior Board Member

I was working an extra day back in 1992. Hauled a load of gas down I-5 to Chehalis WA. While unloading the gas, watched the Highway department put down a layer of asphalt along that stretch of N. Bound 5. Right under the overpass I had just crossed over.
Next evening, I'm at that same station delivering another load...and hear a load "CRUNCH". Turned around to look...and all I could see was tailights on a Can-hauler. He hit that Overpass at 60 mph, with a Highcube container...Tennis shoes all over the place.

DOT spokesman in the paper next day was quoted..."OOOPS".
Old 03-08-2007, 08:34 PM
Rookie

That particular overpass has a height restriction on it and has a warning light if you are overheight.

Seems like someone wasnt paying attention... :roll:
Old 03-08-2007, 08:47 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphys Law CJ7
That particular overpass has a height restriction on it and has a warning light if you are over height.

Seems like someone wasn't paying attention... :roll:

DOH !!!
Old 03-08-2007, 09:31 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
I was working an extra day back in 1992. Hauled a load of gas down I-5 to Chehalis WA. While unloading the gas, watched the Highway department put down a layer of asphalt along that stretch of N. Bound 5. Right under the overpass I had just crossed over.
Next evening, I'm at that same station delivering another load...and hear a load "CRUNCH". Turned around to look...and all I could see was tailights on a Can-hauler. He hit that Overpass at 60 mph, with a Highcube container...Tennis shoes all over the place.

DOT spokesman in the paper next day was quoted..."OOOPS".
i lived in Centralia when that happened DOT didn't check the road hight until 3day's after the the road work was done. when thy rechecked the warning light system was off by 2"
Old 03-09-2007, 01:42 AM
Senior Board Member

Indeed!! LOL...they forgot that 4 inches can be a lot of inches!!! Obviously..you know which station and overpass I meant.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:26 PM
Senior Board Member
Default The Other Bridge problem -- Falling thorugh the Cracks

OK so we discussed hitting a low overpass or having a load just a smidgen too high it is a good reason not to be on your cell phone or engaging in distractions.. But there is another problem .. Bridge weight restrictions .. and they change.

Tooling along the interstate you more than likely will not cross a weight restricted bridge. Maybe if an incident happens (like Oklahoma a few years back) or you are a heavy hauler .. the bridges are built for semi's. Ahhhh but many of our drops take the road less traveled like US highways, state highways,county roads .. and back roads. There we could meet our fate and fall through the cracks .. so to speak.

One thing truck driving did to change my 4-wheel experience is that I am a lot more observant of signs. They just changed the bridge limits and an often used "shortcut" that if used by a 18 wheeler .. they might have a nice surprise.

I am writing a contrived example, but I am doing so with the intent you the reader will extend the example to your neck of the woods.

So you have a load that goes into the backwoods of Robeson County NC. You could take I95 to NC 211 and then backtrack on NC71... but an old timer that has done this route a thousand times .. gives you a route to take County roads cutting off 20 miles from the trip. Plus "it by-passes all that small town traffic .."

You tool along talking on your cell phone watching your GPS to make sure you are following the right route .. when you turn onto CR 1505. Initially there are many businesses and lots of truck traffic so you feel very comfortable with the route ... you see the first bridge .. You might notice despite the distractions that the bridge is rated for 40 Tons .. Ok .. the second bridge crossing the same creek is rated for 35 Tons. .. we are not carrying paper rolls or carpet .. so we are doing OK .. then the third bridge only 200 foot away is rated for 17 tons .... :shock: No warning signs .. just a small 2' X 2' black and white sign with a picture of a truck/trailer 5 Tons and a picture of a semi with a semi-trailer .. 17 tons. (This change I understand was fairly recent.)

You might have one of three very serious problems. First, you might be caught by North Carolina's finest -- crossing the bridge. The fine will bankrupt most of the newbies on this forum. You cross and collapse the bridge. That will be devastating -- if you survive. You notice the sign and try and turn around without notifying the authorities. You get stuck, hit something.. or jackknife into the creek.

Another reason to plan and pay attention. You simply can not get comfortable or complacent in this job.

BTW) The chicken truck accident I added at the bottom of my post starating this thread ... involves one of these small bridges crossing a creek.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:31 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphys Law CJ7
That particular overpass has a height restriction on it and has a warning light if you are overheight.

Seems like someone wasnt paying attention... :roll:

BINGO, you got it...... I have noticed most truck drivers don't pay attention to signs, I see them parked where the sign is in front of them saying NO PARKING, they just don't see signs and don't care, they are professionals now and going down the road I look at every sign, its a habit that keeps my eyes moving... I was going down road and saw a low clearance sign saying 12' 9" so I whipped over to the dirt and went damn these directions are wrong, then a truck came flying by me and went through the tunnel, and another truck said its okay FFE you will fit the sign is wrong, but at least I saw the sign and stopped to check it out.. another truck was flying and zoomin he was speeding got about 50 feet in front of tunnel and saw in big print 12' 9" and he started smokin his tires and got half way into tunnel and was stopped, he cleared it but he should of seen that big bold sign from 300 feet back not 50 feet, what was he looking at ??, the 12' 9" was right in front of him at eye level, right above the tunnel, hehehehe it just shows he didn't look until it would of been to late if that tunnel was actually 12' 9".... so BINGO now pay attention to the signs....