User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2007, 10:20 AM
Board Regular
Location: NOT TELLING....but it is in the same state that the Ohio State Buckeyes play!!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default My first two months with Schneider (Walmart/Sams Club)

Basically you report to work and get your assigned tractor for that week the terminal is actually located right there on the Walmart distribution center property.

Most loads are 3 stops within 300 mile radius which can be completed in your 14 hour workday. $15.00 for each stop $30.00 for each backhaul (in additon to miles)you pull back to dist center. I get about 2 backhauls per 6 day period.

I have pulled more refrigerated loads than dry grocery, the Walmart employees are usually pretty quick unloading your truck (usually 10-30 minutes) the refigerated loads are dairy/deli, produce and frozen foods.

I have pulled loads from Ohio to Michigan, Pa, Ky, Wv and Indiana about 350-450 miles on most days.

95% of the Walmarts dont care if you park and sleep there if you are out of hours but the other day when I delivered to a store just south of Flint,Mi I was told that I could not park my truck on thier propety to sleep due to some city ordinance!! :roll:

I work 6 days on 2 days off (56 hours) my only complaint is slip seating sucks, $40.00 will be taken out of your paycheck if the next driver finds it dirty and has a supervisor agree. That driver gets the $40.00 out of your paycheck. I make sure the truck is very clean but it is a hastle unloading everything and going back 56 hours later to load up in another tractor.

It is sporadic sometimes, different Walmarts and Sams clubs every day 75% of the directions to each store are accurate but about 25% of the directions are horrible and you have to call the store to get directions once you get close.

Overall not to bad of a gig....
Old 03-01-2007, 12:50 PM
Senior Board Member

Good deal mohawk. Glad you're liking it.

Are you hauling out of WCH?

I talked to them once about one of those jobs. I agree the total slip seating would suck. It wouldn't be so bad if you shared one truck with another driver, but the way it was put to me you got whatever was out there and you would rarely get the same truck.

Good luck with it. Keep us posted on how things go.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:43 PM
Rookie

I did that out of Wintersville, OH and I was dissapointed in the $200 pay cut I recieved from coming from system. I kept my own truck the entire time and we never delivered to Sam's Club. Just food to th Wal Marts in eastern OH, western NY and PA, the lp of MI, North Western WV and one store in MD.

The py problem is that Wal Mart does the pay scale for the shortest route period, even if that isn't a safe route to take a truck. Bouncing around in the woods of OH in Amish country isn't all that fun to be honest.

One time I was trailing an Amish family, it was about 7pm in December and all the males were in the buggy while the females were out walking in that cold weather.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:28 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen
The py problem is that Wal Mart does the pay scale for the shortest route period, even if that isn't a safe route to take a truck. Bouncing around in the woods of OH in Amish country isn't all that fun to be honest.
That's bogus man. Wallyworld company drivers are paid straight off the hub. Plus they get paid for all waiting, drop/hooks, etc. They even get paid for sleeper berth time. You guys should be getting the same deal or at least something close.

But that's how those mega-haulers like Schneider National land accounts like Wal-Mart. It's off the backs of their hard-working drivers.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:54 PM
Senior Board Member

I did that same gig for J.B. out of Johnstown NY, we started out @ $15 per stop then changed it to $45 per load and added stops. Also I don't remember ever getting paid for a back haul, but than again I don't remember many of those :roll: . we got paid the same loaded/empty. Hated the midnight/ am appt. and many times would be late cause of waiting for some manager to come and unlock the door to let you in.
One time when I had a load to a Sam's in Rochester I had a appt. for 1000hr fri. got there in time and they kept me waiting an hour then said cause of a noise ordnance that they can't unload me :evil: Now I'm on my own time here as this was my last drop and I live just a few miles away, so I'm not real happy but ok I ask when can you unload me ? 4:00 AM On Sat!! :lol: wonder who thought that one up :lol: Do have to admit they did get me home pretty close to when they said they would. I didn't mind the NYC & Boston, just didn't like standing around waiting for the door key
Old 03-02-2007, 01:16 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete
just didn't like standing around waiting for the door key
I haul local, and I hate waiting for some idiot to come open the door for me too. Most of the time its real windy, because your standing right next to the wall, its shady because its a tall building, and you just got out of a perfectly comfy truck and now you're freezing in the wind! I wait only a minute or two, then I ring the bell like crazy, or start calling on the phone!

NO?

Well, there's really no wrong way to do it...
Old 03-02-2007, 01:51 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFrostyMug
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen
That's bogus man. Wallyworld company drivers are paid straight off the hub. Plus they get paid for all waiting, drop/hooks, etc. They even get paid for sleeper berth time. You guys should be getting the same deal or at least something close.

But that's how those mega-haulers like Schneider National land accounts like Wal-Mart. It's off the backs of their hard-working drivers.
Nope Wal Mart screws the contractors. I was selected (forced) to help out the weekend before Thanksgiving down in LA. They has like 3 different companies there and most of us were just sitting around, even their drivers were waiting for loads. We tended to get the real crappy stores that have 2 docks for general merch, both were full and ya had to wait for them to finish unloading one trailer while you went and dropped yours somewhere else, pulled that one out. Then hook back up to the one you need to drop, drop it and then re-hook to the one you just pulled out.

Wal Mart treats their drivers like they are the king shiznit out there with good reason too. Without happy drivers the rest of the morons out there can't buy their cheep crap. I'm all for low priced but buying something that will wear out or break sooner causing me to replace it earlier then needed is wasting money. But enough Bashing Wal Mart.

The best thing to do when yer sitting at the door for 5 min and no answer. Go around front and walk into the back room. Just make sure you have your ID badge on. I've done that plenty of times.

It's also was fun to kick out the other vendors that were taking up a spot or making them wait. Wally World trailer have the right of way, doesn't matter who got there first. lol

One more good thing though was I was in Cranberry, PA on Thanksgiving and they offered me Turkey Dinner.