User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2007, 09:56 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Inverter Size

I plan on using a cigarette lighter type inverter to run my laptop and cell phone chargers, maybe a boombox and TV. If you're using one of these what size are you using or recommend?

Also, what size TV's do you guys recommend? Does anyone have any luck with rabbit ears or how else can I get reception?

Jim
Old 02-28-2007, 10:16 PM
Rookie

would we be able to get internet service on a laptop being over the road? like some kinda wireless internet service type deal???
Old 02-28-2007, 10:19 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Inverter Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaJim
I plan on using a cigarette lighter type inverter to run my laptop and cell phone chargers, maybe a boombox and TV. If you're using one of these what size are you using or recommend?

Also, what size TV's do you guys recommend? Does anyone have any luck with rabbit ears or how else can I get reception?

Jim
If I was going to run a laptop and cellphone I'd just use the the DC power cord that comes with their respective charger.

As to using a TV I'd get a 12 volt TV. Most have a DC cord as well as 110 volt AC. That way you wouldn't have to buy an inverter.

In regards to rabbit ears it will depend on where you are. In major cities you won't have much problem. Small towns is kind of questionable.

If you feel you just have to have an inverter cigarette lighter can power about 300 watts.

kc0iv
Old 03-01-2007, 12:50 AM
Default inverter

i use a 400 for the 13inch tv cell and laptop. i use a 6 plug protector to plug all these in. i went to radio shack and bought a 2 cig plug in for the lighter plug on the dash one is used for the sat radio the other for the 400 watt invertor my 40 q cooler is plug into the cig lighter above the sleeper and runs all the time. the only draw back im having is when the truck starts it shuts the tv or dvd player off have to turn back on. as far as the other q i use cingular wireless card for the laptop 60 bucks a month works great...
Old 03-01-2007, 01:23 AM
Rookie

Most inverters that I have seen default to 150 watts when plugged into a lighter plug. They state so right on the inverter.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:27 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen
Most inverters that I have seen default to 150 watts when plugged into a lighter plug. They state so right on the inverter.
Was gonna say! You can get a decent Inverter in the 1500 watt range, from most T/S or Radio Shack, have it hard wired into the batteries, and not have a lot of problems.

When you see those power plugs through out the cabins of Freighliner's, there are usually factory installed 300 watt inverter's in the panels behind the seats. That gives you 600 watts of conversion.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:20 AM
Board Regular
Default Re: Inverter Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0iv
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaJim

Jim
If I was going to run a laptop and cellphone I'd just use the the DC power cord that comes with their respective charger.

As to using a TV I'd get a 12 volt TV. Most have a DC cord as well as 110 volt AC. That way you wouldn't have to buy an inverter.

In regards to rabbit ears it will depend on where you are. In major cities you won't have much problem. Small towns is kind of questionable.

If you feel you just have to have an inverter cigarette lighter can power about 300 watts.

kc0iv
You're right, I didn't even think about the 12v charger for the cell. Unfortunately, I don't have a 12v adapter for the laptop and the ones I looked at are pretty pricey. I just figured an inverter would be the way to go so if I had other small 120v items I could use them.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:22 PM
Senior Board Member

Jim,

Depending upon what company you go with, a lot will have a TV antenna already on the truck. A lot of the antennas for your radio will serve as the same antenna for your TV as well. That's what I had with Maverick and it usually got pretty good reception. Sometimes I was surprised that I was fairly well out in the sticks, but I at least managed to get a few channels. If I was in a metro area, I got channels as clear as my dish at home. Of course, if your parked in Laredo, learn to comprehend Spanish before you turn on the TV. I think I picked up 50 Spanish speaking channels while there. Some racey looking soap operas...

If you're like me, you'll probably find that it won't matter anyway. The TV watched me much more than I ever watched it...
Old 03-01-2007, 07:45 PM

I was running a 400/800 cobra inverter through the cig port, but when I ran a 13" tv and my laptop it would fault, so I used a good set of jumper cables and hard wired it, now no problems.....
Old 03-01-2007, 10:57 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen
Was gonna say! You can get a decent Inverter in the 1500 watt range, from most T/S or Radio Shack, have it hard wired into the batteries, and not have a lot of problems.

When you see those power plugs through out the cabins of Freighliner's, there are usually factory installed 300 watt inverter's in the panels behind the seats. That gives you 600 watts of conversion.
Schneider doesn't want us to have anything bigger then 180, and I only have a 400 because of my C/PAP machine.

Speaking of which, sorry to hijack the thread but a replay in a pm would be great. Can you run a small Dorm type fridge off a 400 Watt inverter? I have the coleman cooler but being out 3 weeks vegetable go bad fast in it and it's a pain to store 3 weeks of dinners plus lunch meat in it.