User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2008, 01:38 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I read in a magazine that the later 372 pete cabovers (the big darth vader helmet lookin one) was the first and only? truck to get over 10 mpg average loaded?
Old 10-16-2008, 03:12 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee View Post
The first truck I ever drove was an old GMC Astro cab-over, spring ride, no power steering, no A/C, heat never worked well, those were the days,

I wouldn't recomend buying one now, they served there purpose back in those days due to the length restrictions but they are obsolete now, you won't ever get good fuel milage with a cab over.
We used to call them the old fishbowls because of how big the windsheild was.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:39 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: In my own little world, that rides right behind the cab.

With a cab over you will be the first one at the sciene of the accident ! Plus rough ride and a hzll of a first step if you miss the first step.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:17 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackRatTDI View Post
They're pretty much the only game in town in Europe due to length laws.
Actually, companies such as Scania and Volvo AB do make conventional tractors available for the European market. They're more commonly used for shorter bulk trailers, but a lot of companies may buy a conventional to serve as a "flagship" of their fleet.

Quote:
Russia and other former Soviet republics are a common destination for used US equipment in Europe nowadays since a US market truck can be bought cheaper even with shipping than a true Euromarket truck.
South (and southern) Africa is a popular destination as well, although a lot of fleet owners ideally would import from Australia instead, as South Africa (like Australia) drives in the left lane, and a right hand drive vehicle would be much more ideal. However, as you've stated, it's much cheaper to import from the US nowadays.

Quote:
Scania did produce the "T" series conventional that saw some used in some specialized hauls, but they discontinued that due to slow sales.
They discontinued manufacture of right hand drive models, because of slow sales in the UK, and a lack of interest in other countries which use right hand drive. The T-cab is still manufactured, and you can even get one with the 'Longline' sleeper (although your allowed trailer length is severely hampered at this point). The T-cab also comes in standard 4x2 configuration for hauling non-specialty loads (as does the Volvo FH, which is better known in the US as the VNL series). Scania also offers a militarised version of the T144 as a military prime mover and tank transporter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsFan View Post
I spent 3 months in Germany during the fall of 05. 99.5% were COEs. Usually Scania, Mercedez, and MAN. I believe the MAN's (cant remember what it stood for) are made near Munich. From what I gather, they are considered of the best and offers more luxury than some others there.
Umm... no.. Scania (particularly the T-cab, Topline, and Longline tractors) are typically considered more the luxury truck. MAN/ERF... is closer to a basic working man's truck.
Brand names can be a bit... ambiguous. With buyouts, new management, etc, a lot of companies are simply manufacturing a rebadged variant of a product offered by the parent company, or, may simply be an assembly plant for another company's product. For instance, Leyland in the United Kingdom is now used to manufacture DAF trucks, and the Foden brand name was discontinued in favour of DAF products, as well (all three brands are owned by PACCAR)... whether the Foden factory is still operational as a DAF factory or not, I don't know, however.

As for the question of cabovers, personally, I wouldn't do it. I ran a cabover pulling a 40 ft end dump trailer, and it was quite alright (the truck was a 98 I-H 9800i). The thing I would worry about most is availability of parts. I know the Argosy is still in production, as is the International 9800... while the latter isn't sold on the US market (I think they're manufactured in Brazil now), I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get parts still. But how easy is it to get parts for something like the Kenworth, Peterbilt, Mack, Ford, etc. cabovers? Maybe it's not as difficult as I seem to think, but I'm a bit skeptical.
That aside, if you keep anything in a cabover, and forget to secure it, it'll go all over the place in that cab when you have to crank it forward to service the engine or drivetrain, and look at some of the wheelbases available on conventional tractors - I'm looking at an online ad now for an '02 Freightliner Columbia. With a 70" sleeper, it only has a 239" wheelbase. I see another ad for a Columbia with a 70" sleeper and only a 212" wheelbase. And if you're running short hauls, and don't expect to spend much time in the sleeper, a truck with a 51" sleeper would have an even shorter wheelbase. All things considered, I just don't think the added bonus of a short wheelbase compensates for the shortcomings og choosing a cabover.

Last edited by JeffTheTerrible; 10-17-2008 at 04:24 AM.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Ahh German, A true language of love :lol

ich bin deutsch
Old 10-17-2008, 08:12 PM
Senior Board Member

you won't ever get good fuel milage with a cab over.

NOT TRUE. 7.0 mpg in my 95 intl. 11.1 det ser 60.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:21 PM
Senior Board Member

Does any one have recommendations on cab overs in used?Thanks

I bought a 95' intl coe, off walmart. it has a 11.1 det engine. I have had it for 10 years now. over 1.2 mil miles. it went 1.1 mil before I had to do anything to it. the clutch was even original from the factory. after 1.1 mil, I had clutch put in, then bottom 1/2 of motor done, then injectors 6 months after that. the truck is still going strong 5 day's a week. it gets great fuel mileage & always has. when I bought mine 10 years ago, a I looked at conventionals of the same year. all were twice as high & all had higher mileage for twice the price. when everyone wants the same thing the price usually stays high. thasts why I bought my coe. my personal preference was to get a great deal & make money with what I bought, not to look good going down the road.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:50 AM
Senior Board Member

aside from being a flat nosed wall going down the road, guzzeling fuel

once again. I also though that m.p.g would be a problem when I fist bought mine. it has not been the case. I also think that because I have such a short wheelbase & my trailer is so close to the tractor there is no air drag to speak of between the 2.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:58 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking Eagle View Post
With a cab over you will be the first one at the sciene of the accident ! Plus rough ride and a hzll of a first step if you miss the first step.
Yeah, but all you have to do (if you hit a 4-wheeler) is pick up your feet just b4 impact and you'll be fine...except for a skint butt when you hit the pavement on the other side...
Old 03-02-2012, 01:59 AM
Rookie