User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2007, 06:37 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default cab over tractors???

Hi
I have been driving for under a year and would like some input on conventional cab versus cab over.I live in BC Canada and cab over tractors are almost non existent and are almost free to buy.I own a 89 pete 376 and a 80 yard tridem end dump and I need a huge amount of space for turning around as well as any backing that is not straight in.Is a cab over tractor any easier in tight spaces(sure looks like it would be)and why are they so unpopular?I really hope there is more too it than appearance.Thanks
Old 02-28-2007, 08:37 AM
Senior Board Member

COE's (cabovers) can be a lot easier to back in tight spaces, but one of the reason for their unpopularity is due to a rougher ride when compared to a coventional. Then add to that getting in and out of them is more difficult you have the demise.

COE's, from what I understand, are still widely used and produced in European countries due to a lot more narrow roads than found in this part of the world.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:26 AM
Senior Board Member

The thing to remember with a COE....find the foot hold before taking the second step, when exiting the cab...and you will always be the first one, to the scene of the accident.

In 1991, ARCO had a trailer rear-ended by a guy driving a COE. Glass from the windshield was embedded into the Company "LOGO" sticker on the rear bulkhead of the trailer. That was on I-82, climbing Manastash Ridge. :shock: Is there really "GAS" in that thing, say's the driver!!! :lol:
Old 02-28-2007, 12:26 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
COE's (cabovers) can be a lot easier to back in tight spaces, but one of the reason for their unpopularity is due to a rougher ride when compared to a coventional. Then add to that getting in and out of them is more difficult you have the demise.

COE's, from what I understand, are still widely used and produced in European countries due to a lot more narrow roads than found in this part of the world.
They're pretty much the only game in town in Europe due to length laws.

Though some European truckers have imported US conventionals, mostly for show purposes, which they use to haul short trailers like containers in order to comply with length laws.

Russia and other former Soviet republics are a common destination for used US equipment in Europe nowadays since a US market truck can be bought cheaper even with shipping than a true Euromarket truck.

Scania did produce the "T" series conventional that saw some used in some specialized hauls, but they discontinued that due to slow sales. The exact opposite of the fate of the cabovers on this side of the pond. :lol:
Old 02-28-2007, 05:48 PM
Rookie
Default cab over versus conventional

Thanks for the input.A rougher ride seeing as my runs are really short is a pretty easy payoff to get the maneuverability and I guess if I am to stupid to find the step I should not be allowed to operate a wheel barrow much less a truck.The difference in prices on used cab over and conventional is huge.Does any one have recommendations on cab overs in used?Thanks
Old 02-28-2007, 06:02 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Look for a International 9800 or 9670 prosleeper model has a flat floor also were the last models that they made. Freightliners Argosy was the last new COE model introduced into the US market in the late 90's. Either one would be a decent choice for your usage. If you need a sleeper look for a old Wal-mart truck would be a flattop COE International but would have been well maintained be them. The ones to stay away from would be ANYTHING from Scheinder or J.B Hunt. I was a Mechanic at the dealership that had the J.B Hunt schoold contract needless to say we had in stock 3 trannies 3 rear ends and power dividers plus 6 clutches and flywheels. We could put a clutch in a truck in around 2 hours.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:17 PM
Rookie

Thanks for your input
Old 03-01-2007, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackRatTDI
I spent 3 months in Germany during the fall of 05. 99.5% were COEs. Usually Scania, Mercedez, and MAN. I believe the MAN's (cant remember what it stood for) are made near Munich. From what I gather, they are considered of the best and offers more luxury than some others there.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:43 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsFan
Quote:
I spent 3 months in Germany during the fall of 05. 99.5% were COEs. Usually Scania, Mercedez, and MAN. I believe the MAN's (cant remember what it stood for) are made near Munich. From what I gather, they are considered of the best and offers more luxury than some others there.
From Wikipedia:

In 1898 the Maschinenbau-AG Nürnberg (founded in 1841) and the Maschinenfabrik Augsburg AG (founded in 1840 ) merged to become the Vereinigte Maschinenfabrik Augsburg und Maschinenbaugesellschaft Nürnberg A.G., Augsburg. The company was renamed in 1908 to Maschinenfabrik Augsburg-Nürnberg AG, Augsburg (M.A.N.). Today it is one of Europe's leading manufacturers of engineering equipment and vehicles.

You occasionally find older VanHool coaches with MAN engines in the US, usually grey market imports of the extremely short wheel base "T" series coach.

MAN also sells the MAN Lion's coach in Mexico, geared towards the high end luxury bus market.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:46 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Maschinenbaugesellschaft Nürnberg
Someone please try to say this three times fast and report back!