User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2007, 09:02 AM
Board Regular
Location: NOT TELLING....but it is in the same state that the Ohio State Buckeyes play!!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default So this J.B. recruiter has called me offering .40 cents a

Not sure how how he came across my number but during my 56 hour time at home break thusday and friday he called. He said as soon as I get 90 days in at Schneider he can get me a job starting at .40 cents a mile, 12 days out 4 days at home $1200.00 a week.

The .40 cents a mile sounds a little too god to be true. Since i Ihave been driving with Schnieder for about 2 months plus i am under a 1 year contract, i am making less than .30 cents a mile.

I have heard many bad things about JB Hunt, what is the catch to all this??? I have only 2 months driving experince and they will pay .40 cents a mile??
Old 02-24-2007, 11:25 AM
Senior Board Member
Default JB Hunt

Send a PM to "Sheepdancer" on this board, he recruits for JB. Did you check JBs website to confirm the pay? BOL
Old 02-24-2007, 12:37 PM
Board Icon
Default Re: So this J.B. recruiter has called me offering .40 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiomohawk
Not sure how how he came across my number but during my 56 hour time at home break thusday and friday he called. He said as soon as I get 90 days in at Schneider he can get me a job starting at .40 cents a mile, 12 days out 4 days at home $1200.00 a week.

The .40 cents a mile sounds a little too god to be true. Since i Ihave been driving with Schnieder for about 2 months plus i am under a 1 year contract, i am making less than .30 cents a mile.

I have heard many bad things about JB Hunt, what is the catch to all this??? I have only 2 months driving experince and they will pay .40 cents a mile??
It all comes down to miles - The carriers who are offering a higher per-mile rate generally don't get you consistant miles. I've heard that JB is a medium-haul company, and that most of their trips are 500 miles or less. I'm sure Sheepdancer will claim otherwise, but then again, he also refuses to put any sort of mileage guarantees in writing.

JB is like Heartland (who offers $0.50 per mile). Less miles, more money. Not necessarily a bad thing, as long as the hometime is there.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:58 PM
Senior Board Member

Rev is correct in that this is usually the case, shorter runs pay higher cpm.

JB is a large company that gets and deserves a lot of flack for some of the bad that comes with being a large compnay. However, I'm sure there are a lot of good aspects to the company as well as they have several content drivers to go along with the ones that were "wronged" by a recruiter. In reality, they're just another trucking company. You could throw them all in a hat and pull one out and chance are the biggest deciding factor on whether you would have a good career with them would be you. I'm sure there are plenty of drivers even in their OTR division that get good miles and make a high cpm, they just don't tend to come on here and brag about it. We all know their are plenty of others who have been "screwed" over by them.

One thing I will say that I believe is a plus for JB, if you look at their website they list the opportunities available to you by state, region whatever. Many of them have elaborate descriptions where they even list the miles that you will get on a certain route and the pay you will receive. A lot of dedicated accounts with them only require 3 months experience. I haven't seen too many other companies that will put in print how many miles you will receive other than to say, "our drivers average 2300 miles in this region" or "you'll get between 2200 & 2600 miles per week". To me that's a heckuva difference and the average doesn't mean squat! The reality is that no company can guarantee a certain number of miles unless it's a dedicated account. Just because one driver does that kind of mileage doesn't mean you will.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:03 PM
Senior Board Member

A JB recruiter told me a dedicated route in my area wuld pay .41/mile and would make $1100/week. I'm trying to find something with a local company so I can home each night as I have a few projects to work on. Some local companie want to pay me $11/hr. :roll:
I don't live with parents :lol:
Old 02-24-2007, 01:46 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Driver
A JB recruiter told me a dedicated route in my area wuld pay .41/mile and would make $1100/week.
And I'm sure he'll put it in writing, and if you don't make the $1100 a week he promises, then he will make up the difference. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's best to ignore ANY sort of numbers a recruiter gives you, when it comes to what type of miles you'll average, and what you'll take home.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:08 PM
Senior Board Member

I have been working for JB Hunt since the first of December, I have been averaging 2700-2800 miles a week and bringing home $800-$900 a week. Starting out as a new driver you have nothing to lose if you come drive for JB, most new drivers are making .28 cpm and running their ass off to make $400-$500 a week ( I know I did). I have wrote in other threads about JB Hunt but the key to making money with them is to stay out at least 3 weeks, if you go home every 14 days you probably won't make much.

I have nothing to gain or any reason to BS you, I got my call back notice to Roadway so I'm going to finish this next week with them and go back to Roadway, if I didn't get a call back I would stay with JB Hunt. People will BS you when they are getting a referral bonus or they are paid to recruit you.

I can say that everything Sheepdancer (JB recruiter) told me was 100% accurate, he didn't lie to me and he didn't BS me.

BOL, any other questions pm me.

Old 02-24-2007, 02:27 PM
Senior Board Member

I agree it probably is best to ignore what a recruiter is telling you about miles and pay, etc... However, if this dedicated job exists you can go to their website and print it out. It will describe the miles and pay and at least you will have something in writing. Doesn't mean you won't get burned in some way or another, but to JB's credit at least they are giving you something in writing.

No recruiter (or any other company representative) is going to give you the difference in pay if you fail to average what they said they you will. Some companies might offer a minimum pay for every week or load, but most will have loopholes around paying this money out also. We all know that JB is not alone in this department.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:48 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default Re: So this J.B. recruiter has called me offering .40 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
JB is like Heartland (who offers $0.50 per mile). Less miles, more money. Not necessarily a bad thing, as long as the hometime is there.
Not bad if you don't mind sitting around truckstops, dropyards, and consignees for no money waiting on loads. These medium-haul companies might bump up their mileage rates but they turn around and shaft you on your time.

Last summer, I went to see my little cousin play softball on a Saturday and I noticed two Heartland trucks sitting at the dock in Sears. Game ended and I walked back out to my car and they were out of the dock and parked in the Sears lot. Went home, watched the race, and then took the whole clan out to Olive Garden in the evening. Sure enough, I drove by that Sears and those Heartland guys were STILL sitting there. 10 hours on a Saturday stuck there in the big truck waiting for loads w/o making ONE THIN DIME! Why are they doing this for nothing?

Too many drivers focus on mileage but it's only one component of a driver's job. Look at Wallyworld drivers, they only start out at around 37.5 cpm. But they pull down $70,000+ because they get paid for everything when the truck stops. That's the way all OTR jobs should be, but so many guys enjoy working for peanuts.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:26 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Recruiters are like salesman. Don't believe a word they say. Talk to drivers if you want to get the real scoop.