User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2007, 04:06 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

In an ideal world carriers would show the entire range of what drivers who were employed for a full year earned broken down by month.

Mean does not tell you much. You could have 3 guys making $30k and one team driver/"trainer" who rakes in $90. Mean would be $45, while median would be 30.

Lowest, Highest and the inter-quartile range would be a good measurement. In the above example it would be 30, 90 and 30-30.

But I suspect that the McMegaCarriers would have a harder time recruiting if they offered realistic audited earnings figures. Especially when you divide by the 70-100 hrs per week that you really spend on lines 3 & 4.

But when it come down to it you have to talk to a good sample 10-15+ of drivers for the carrier. Use the CB or buy guys a cup of coffee at truck stops.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:13 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
The opinions expressed by the author should be yours as well, if you knew what was good for you. They secretly represent the views of CAD or of the other members of CAD.
So you know are a representative of CAD? I bet CAD would be real happy having you as a representative, when when do you get your Mod status?

Old 02-27-2007, 04:22 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben45750
This is what you should have in your signature instead of claiming to be associated with CAD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by edited by moderator
(EDITED) - THAT WAS UNCALLED FOR AND NO FURTHER WARNINGS WILL BE GIVEN.

Nice cheap shot. Edit my post because of another another thread. I post a picture of women's feminine hygiene product and glad trash bags not even using the two words and my post is edited. But it's ok for someone else to come right out and say it

Way to use mod-ship powers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksheep
what a douche bag. :lol:
(not taking a shot at you Blacksheep or dragging you into this. Just making a point, don't disagree with someone with some power on this site) :roll:

Am I going to be baned now for quoting someone else?

Old 02-27-2007, 04:48 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Williams
Lowest, Highest and the inter-quartile range would be a good measurement. In the above example it would be 30, 90 and 30-30.

But I suspect that the McMegaCarriers would have a harder time recruiting if they offered realistic audited earnings figures. Especially when you divide by the 70-100 hrs per week that you really spend on lines 3 & 4.
Agreed 100%. At least someone else here understands. :wink:

The numbers that the big carriers advertise with are usually skewed to either:

1. Show them in the best light, or
2. Dupe the unsuspecting public.

That's all fine and well (they have a right to pretend they are the best carrier on earth), but when they try to push those numbers as being an average that at least 50% of their fleet obtains, then it crosses into borderline false advertising.

Unfortunately, most recruiters are simply spewing the dribble that the companies provide them, without actually looking into the data to confirm its validity. I also suspect that the recruiters are guilty of a little "number manipulation" of their own.

After all, if "McMegaCarrier" is saying that their drivers "averaged" $70,000 a year, then their prospective employees should AT LEAST have a 50% chance of meeting that number. Sadly, I think that is unlikely, and only serves to alienate more drivers who are looking for "greener grass", and finding only deception.

The sad by-product of this phenomenon is that drivers use that same "trucker's math" to describe their own operations. They use partial data, add ranges where there are none, and use those false averages to boost up their own data. If I drove an average of 2500 miles a week, and present the data as a range, saying "I average 2500-2800 miles a week", it doesn't change the real numbers, which almost invariably end up on the lower end of the range.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:27 PM
Senior Board Member

[quote="ben45750"]This is what you should have in your signature instead of claiming to be associated with CAD.

(EDITED)

No disrespect to the good rev., but that's some funny stuff right there. :lol:
Old 02-28-2007, 03:26 PM