User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2007, 06:51 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I know that I have not been a trucker, but man we are all lied to in all industries across the board.

Those of us retiring from Ford Mo Co this time know that our benefits will be cut in the future. That is a legal and binding contract, we could not break our portion of the contract, but the company can. That is not only lying it is illegal to break a binding contract, without both parties approval, but it is and will happen.

I agree that going into any situation expecting the worse, the worse will probably happen. Go into a situation with you eyes open and trying to learn everything that you can and you will be better off from that experience.

I really appreciate the advice from people here about going to a private school. If I go with Swift or Werner and they treat me wrong, I can say thank you for the experience I really appreciated it and here are your keys. I will be free to leave anytime.

Research, live and learn, then move on if your unhappy.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:36 PM
Rookie

I agree with you all that everyone gets lied to at one time or another , that is why I do research and ask questions, I try to make informed decisions, but as a professional truck driver, and I went to school and paid for it, I know that it will be some years of OTR before I can truly be worthy of the title "Truck Driver", I do expect to be treated with some marginal form of respect and if all "Truck Drivers" (I know there will always be the ten percent) demand and give respect Drivers can archive great things.

Its up to us to change the publics perception that we are a rag tag bunch of beer drinking wife beating sons of B. But any way speaking of recruiters just be aware that they can also change the perception that they are liars and cheats, and I only called the ones from Swift that, the other companies have not told me such big lies and have backed up what they say with follow up e-mails of the promises made.

If the industry is to survive we as drivers need to help that happen and root out the bad apples, if we do not this country will not be safe for us and our loved ones, NAFTA is about to let uneducated drivers loose on Americas highways and they will do it for a pittance and guess who is leading the charge to allow them to come here and drive, yep that's right.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:19 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdancer
My advice, take whatever you can get for the first few months. Go into the job not expecting to make any money
Oh yeah. That's great advice. :roll:

Quote:
if you end up going with Swift, there are 1000s of drivers over there making Swift work....I talk to them all the time.
Do the math. 15,000 power units and 120% turnover rate means that Swift is going through 18,000 drivers per year. Same with JB, Prime, Schneider, and the rest of the McMega fleets.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:39 PM
Senior Board Member

Yes...all big companies have a big turnover rate the first year. But what people never seem to realize is that big companies usually have a very LOW turnover rate after drivers have been there over a year. Why do you suppose that is? Why does JB have more 1, 2 and 3 million mile drivers than any other company?

Ive said this before...as a recruiter I talk to MORE drivers about more companies than you drivers do. There isnt a company out there where I couldnt find drivers that would say they company they work for isnt the worst company around. On the other side of the coin. There isnt a company out there where the MAJORITY of drivers I talk to arent very happy. By looking on these message boards, listening on the CB or listening to drivers in a truck stop, you pretty much just hear all the negative. People who are unhappy, make WAY more noise than people who are happy with their work. That is just human nature. Ive been doing this for a long time and I have come to this conclusion. About 20% of people arent going to be happy with any job they do. The LARGER the company the MORE people you are going to hear complaining about it.
A company with 14000 drivers and 20% unhappy would mean about 2800 drivers out there making noise on the CB and Message boards. On the other side of the coin....A company with 280 drivers with 20% would mean there would only be 56 drivers out there complaining. You would NEVER hear anything bad about that company.
What I was telling thr driver who started this thread is GOOD ADVICE. Dont put much faith in message board rants. Whether it be from a recruiter like me or a driver. You will never know how good a company is until you actually work for them. That driver could very well go to Swift or any other company. do great and 20 years from now retire quite wealthy....happens all the time.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:50 PM
Senior Board Member

Hey DRIVENDOG, when you find a recruiter that doesn't lie, let me know who it is so I can talk to them too.. okay ... goodluck dog..
Old 02-24-2007, 02:19 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglymutt
Hey DRIVENDOG, when you find a recruiter that doesn't lie, let me know who it is so I can talk to them too.. okay ... goodluck dog..
Recruiters, for the most part, are like Car Salesmen... The second they open their mouths, you know they are not telling the truth... Now, that is not to say that I have not met an honest recruiter (I have met 1)
Old 02-25-2007, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdancer
Yes...all big companies have a big turnover rate the first year. But what people never seem to realize is that big companies usually have a very LOW turnover rate after drivers have been there over a year.
That's not too many drivers, tho. Look at it like this: if for example JB has 1000 drivers with a 120% turnover rate, then at the end of the year 1,200 of them will have left. So that's very few drivers that actaully STAY over a year.

And what percentages are those? 100%? 80% LOL what a joke!

Quote:
That driver could very well go to Swift or any other company. do great and 20 years from now retire quite wealthy....happens all the time.
LOL, I think you can count with the fingers on your right hand the number of drivers who have 20 years in with Swifty. That is, if they even exist. As far as retiring welathy, anyone can do that with the right amount of planning. No need to pimp yourself out to these fleabag mega carriers.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:06 PM
Senior Board Member

where can you check if theres an opening in your area? I can find anything meaningful on the website...
Old 02-26-2007, 01:57 AM
Rookie
Default wannabee driver here, want to start school soon

i used to be a recruiter for the USAF and people think your a liar from the get go. I hated when all of us got sterotyped together. One thing is for sure though, it's a tough job if you have integrity, lol