User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2007, 02:52 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Opinions- my Life choices

Hey guys. I sent this message to a couple of guys that I have great respect for on here but for those of you that I don't know very well, I'd like your opinions. Here is a synopsis of me and my situation:

I'm 30 years old and I get married in 2 months. My fiancee has a wonderful 8 year old daughter. I'm a also moving from Tucson, AZ back home to Huntsville, AL. I've always had a passion and want to get into trucking. However, I don't want to be gone all the time. I am currently a manager for a large company and I make $70K a year. I also have an MBA from Arizona State. So, I have business and management skills. I'm at a point where I'm ready for a change. My fiancee is getting out of the Air Force and she is planning on opening a day care at our new house that i"m building in Alabama. She also sells Mary Kay on the side and she'll is retiring from the military so we'll have abouta 2K check a month from the government each month on top of whatever our earnings are. We both have strong entreprenurial (spelling) desires. I have narrowed my new career path down to:

Trucking- to learn the industry on someone elses dime. I looked at Roehl 7 on 7 off and then I can run a part time business the other week. If I like the trucking, I might consider O/O later on.

Commercial and/or residential cleaning- VERY low initial investment- good money in this but obviously hard work. A good friend of mine with business sense started this 2 months ago and is at 5K gross a month in contracts. Hard work and odd hours like nights and weekends though.

Mobile Car detailing service- Seems to be a good industry with a low initial investment of 6K or so.

So, knowing my situation, what is your opinion? Thanks!

Anthony
Old 02-21-2007, 02:54 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Choices

Forget trucking, you have too much going for you. At a minimum, wait until the daughter is in college. BOL
Old 02-21-2007, 02:58 PM

If I were you I would forget about trucking and do the entrepreneurial thing. Do not miss out on your family time and enjoy life. Trucking is a fine career for some, but in your situation I would not even consider it. Good luck and remember you can always drive a truck. kids are only young once.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:13 PM
Senior Board Member

Agreed! 8)
Old 02-21-2007, 03:23 PM
Rookie

Anthony1995

I am in your same situation. I have a good paying managerial job, but have been at this for 7 years. I need a change too.

Hometime with the family is an issue as I look to trucking and it is the biggest negative. I say, also understand I am just starting out and the drivers answering your questions have the experience, it is all about what you want.

I have talked to several drivers who have worked many years in trucking and have been married and raised children and live enjoyable lives.

I have been married for quite a few years, and my biggest word of caustion is only being married for a short time, this will be a big adjustment for your wife. I remember having a job when I first got married that required on avevarge 65-70 hours a week. When I was off I was exhausted. It did not work out well so I changed jobs. Just a word of caution.

Big Dabble
Old 02-21-2007, 03:28 PM
Senior Board Member

Hey Anthony1995 if you want to be home why don't you try to find a local truck driving gig.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:37 PM
Default Truck Career Today

Anthony, I'm just a rookie. But I also intended to switch careers, and I am also educated at the post graduate level.

The industry has changed, and I tend to think that the veteran drivers you have spoken with either are no longer driving themselves, or they were able to establish themselves as drivers "in the good old days".

It won't take you long to find out that entering truck driving today is a form of indentured servitude.

Those individuals who defend the lifestyle on this board have really burned all their other bridges, or they are the lucky ones who didn't start out since deregulation of the industry.

It's a nice dream, but leave it on your pillow.

Have a good life.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:49 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

From a recruiter's standpoint, I would say steer clear of trucking, too. You are in a very enviable position with current salary and job and potential married life. She has an 8-year old girl...having a father-figure around is going to be extremely important to her.

As someone else said, wait until she's in college, before considering it. Who knows then...maybe you and your wife decide to do it together and team.

For now, though, stay home or at the very worst, find something that will keep you local and home every night.

Old 02-21-2007, 04:01 PM
Board Regular

If I was married it would take me about 5 minutes to ditch trucking as a career opp. Unless you value a job driving more than your new wife I would skip it. It sounds like you have more options that will give you two a much better quality of life.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Well .... this is the 3rd or 4th time you posted this same topic.
How many more are you going to post?
Your young, your just getting married, and have a little girl.
I think you should stick around home myself.

Me? I'm old, got 5 kids, 2 left at home ( very close to leaving and going to college ) Plan on going OTR for 2 years then find something here in town.