User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2007, 06:49 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Thinking of getting in...

I'm considering getting into the trucking biz. I hear stories of positive and negative about every company. I also hear stories of people not getting paid or too much idle time. I'm wondering if this is relative to location or is it just the company? There's probably no perfect job, but I think if I get some experience and take it for a year or two, I can look for a job that may suit my needs a little better. I hear a lot of people going to the big wigs like Swift, CRST, and England just to get a CDL and experience, then move on to try to find a local gig. That's what I'm considering.

Another thing, I want to relocate to Washington from California. How will this play out if I join a company now and then want to move later? Go easy, remember I'm new to this.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:57 AM
Board Regular
Default Re: Thinking of getting in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeroeffort
I'm considering getting into the trucking biz. I hear stories of positive and negative about every company. I also hear stories of people not getting paid or too much idle time. I'm wondering if this is relative to location or is it just the company? There's probably no perfect job, but I think if I get some experience and take it for a year or two, I can look for a job that may suit my needs a little better. I hear a lot of people going to the big wigs like Swift, CRST, and England just to get a CDL and experience, then move on to try to find a local gig. That's what I'm considering.

Another thing, I want to relocate to Washington from California. How will this play out if I join a company now and then want to move later? Go easy, remember I'm new to this.
thats one positive about this job relocating is a lot easier because as long as the company you work for hires in the area you plan to move to its not a problem.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:03 AM
Default Re: Thinking of getting in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeroeffort

if you can pay your own way through school. I have heard stories about traing through a carrier. one story that i heard is that if you leave within a year they will make you pay for the class... i went through a college and because i live in Ga i was able to use the hope scholarship to pay for my classes see if you have the same thing in your area. good luck
Old 02-18-2007, 07:33 AM
Board Regular

I would start by reading every thread on this board. Most of your questions will be answered pretty thoroughly.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:07 PM
Senior Board Member

Why limit yourself to starting out with a Mega carrier to get experience and then move on? Why not try to find that "perfect" company and start with them right off the bat and then move on to greener pastures within that same company?

I've never worked for Swift, CRST or CRE, but I've heard a lot of stories about them. I'm sure there are several drivers at all three companies that are happy, but a 120-140% turnover rate says something about each one. I've never understood the mindset of starting with a crappy company just to get a little experience and move on. From what I've read most of the people who think that way end up dang near starving in their first year and then they quit. Next thing you know, they're owing that company a bunch of money for training and they come on here bitching about it. Why???? Most of the "better" companies will take noobs also and they will have a reputable training program.

IMO, try to find the best long-term fit for you right off the bat and go for it. No better time to be doing your research and homework than before you start. You end up getting mad and quitting and then you have to take whatever comes down the pike because you need to work.

Never worked for them, but I've heard a lot of good things about Gordon and they're big in the part of the country that you are referring to. I know they have dedicated positions and, as big as they are, they probably have local gigs that you could work yourself into.

Just my 2 cpm...

Good luck.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:28 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I agree with redsfan. I don't understand the mindset of starting with a carrier with the idea in mind of leaving right after the training period. It doesn't make much sense. I would look for a carrier that I felt I could live with after the training period. There are no guarantee's, but it can make things much easier when you are not thinking about leaving before you even start.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsfan
Why limit yourself to starting out with a Mega carrier to get experience and then move on? Why not try to find that "perfect" company and start with them right off the bat and then move on to greener pastures within that same company?

I've never worked for Swift, CRST or CRE, but I've heard a lot of stories about them. I'm sure there are several drivers at all three companies that are happy, but a 120-140% turnover rate says something about each one. I've never understood the mindset of starting with a crappy company just to get a little experience and move on. From what I've read most of the people who think that way end up dang near starving in their first year and then they quit. Next thing you know, they're owing that company a bunch of money for training and they come on here bitching about it. Why???? Most of the "better" companies will take noobs also and they will have a reputable training program.

IMO, try to find the best long-term fit for you right off the bat and go for it. No better time to be doing your research and homework than before you start. You end up getting mad and quitting and then you have to take whatever comes down the pike because you need to work.

Never worked for them, but I've heard a lot of good things about Gordon and they're big in the part of the country that you are referring to. I know they have dedicated positions and, as big as they are, they probably have local gigs that you could work yourself into.

Just my 2 cpm...

Good luck.
Well said! This is my opinion and they way I approached the decision of which company to go with. I think one key is to have some money ahead to tide you through the first year. Otherwise you may starve and become disgruntled and leave before you get enough time in to start making real money. As far as Gordon: they are a highly respected company in the Northwest. They do have local drivers. However, even talking to their drivers and recruiters, they don't pay squat to their local drivers. I can't remember the exact amount. but, if the recruiters talk bad, it must really be bad. If you can stand the color of their trucks, go for it! LOL
Old 02-18-2007, 08:30 PM
Rookie
Default Good info

Thanks for all the good info. Like most of you have said, doing a little research ahead of time could make or break me. I like the comment about going after what I want the first time instead of training and quitting to move on. I also think most of you have said do my training on my own, that way I don't owe anyone anything.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:01 PM
Rookie

zeeroeffort, check out CFI they have a tuition asistance program that does not require a contract that you work for them. All you have to do is deliver one load and if you do not like the company you don't have to stay. Check out my website www.bigriglife.com for more information or if you want call Christine Lathan at CFI 1-800-641-4748 Ext: 5718 and she will answer all of your questions. Tell her Eagle Eye told you to call. Good luck and stay safe!
Old 02-18-2007, 11:26 PM
Rookie
Default CFI

I took a look at your site eagle eye and went to the CFI site. Unfortunately, it didn't list California has a hiring spot. Not sure what that means, but it sounds like no interest out here or they have enough drivers already. I was thinking of going to a mixer company and doing that. I'm not sure what that experience will do for me, but I'll be home every night and work locally. I sure do notice a lot of flatbeds out here though. Does anyone know what mixer experience can do for me or does it not count towards something later like going for a flatbed job?