LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2007, 11:33 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: CFI

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeroeffort
Does anyone know what mixer experience can do for me or does it not count towards something later like going for a flatbed job?
I don't know if it counts towards switching to a flatbed job locally, later on, but I do know it will not count towards OTR experiance.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:48 PM
Rookie
Default Central Refrige

Anyone heard anything about Central Refrigerated? They have a school about 5 miles down the road here. Looks like they're looking for dedicated solos for coors and kraft. What about refrigerated? It seems adding another element like that is just one more headache to take of, downtime, and all that. Dedicated for coors and kraft seem interesting cause I don't think beer and food are going out of style anytime soon.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:43 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsfan
Why limit yourself to starting out with a Mega carrier to get experience and then move on? Why not try to find that "perfect" company and start with them right off the bat and then move on to greener pastures within that same company?

I've never worked for Swift, CRST or CRE, but I've heard a lot of stories about them. I'm sure there are several drivers at all three companies that are happy, but a 120-140% turnover rate says something about each one. I've never understood the mindset of starting with a crappy company just to get a little experience and move on. From what I've read most of the people who think that way end up dang near starving in their first year and then they quit. Next thing you know, they're owing that company a bunch of money for training and they come on here bitching about it. Why???? Most of the "better" companies will take noobs also and they will have a reputable training program.

IMO, try to find the best long-term fit for you right off the bat and go for it. No better time to be doing your research and homework than before you start. You end up getting mad and quitting and then you have to take whatever comes down the pike because you need to work.

Never worked for them, but I've heard a lot of good things about Gordon and they're big in the part of the country that you are referring to. I know they have dedicated positions and, as big as they are, they probably have local gigs that you could work yourself into.

Just my 2 cpm...

Good luck.
There are alot of reasons why people start with the big companies. Some companies only hire in certain areas, some people dont have the cash for an independent school for CDL training, etc. Yes, if the opportunity exits to avoid the mega carriers, sure go for it. Sometimes you guys forget that one size doesn't fit all. Like what was mentioned in previous posts about going to CFI. They don't hire in the posters area so that is not an option. If I don't want to start out flatbedding those companies are off my list. If I dont want to chuch meat off the back of the truck those companies are off my list. I looked at all the recommended so-called good companies and not one was an option for me. So, I will have to settle for a mega company until I have the requirements for a different option. Every company that folks here recommend is not going to be an option for every rookie.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:46 PM
Board Regular
Default Re: Good info

Quote:
Thanks for all the good info. Like most of you have said, doing a little research ahead of time could make or break me. I like the comment about going after what I want the first time instead of training and quitting to move on. I also think most of you have said do my training on my own, that way I don't owe anyone anything.
Please let me know where you're going to get the training and not owe anyone anything. I'll be right in line with you.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:00 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaJim
There are alot of reasons why people start with the big companies. Some companies only hire in certain areas, some people dont have the cash for an independent school for CDL training, etc. Yes, if the opportunity exits to avoid the mega carriers, sure go for it. Sometimes you guys forget that one size doesn't fit all. Like what was mentioned in previous posts about going to CFI. They don't hire in the posters area so that is not an option. If I don't want to start out flatbedding those companies are off my list. If I dont want to chuch meat off the back of the truck those companies are off my list. I looked at all the recommended so-called good companies and not one was an option for me. So, I will have to settle for a mega company until I have the requirements for a different option. Every company that folks here recommend is not going to be an option for every rookie.
Of course, not every company that folks recommend will be an option for every rookie, in fact I stated the opposite. He mentioned that he was leaning towards the mega carriers just to get experience and move on and my thinking is "Why?".

If a mega company is the only option you have, it makes your decision easier. Of course, if you do have other options, it might pay you to look into them. Some people may get on with the mega carrier, love them and stay with them many years, but that wasn't what this OP was referring to. He said that his plan was to get in with a "mega" just to get a year or two experience and then move on. My opinion was, why do people dive into this industry with that type of thinking? I'll never understand it.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:18 PM
Rookie

the best advice I can give is find cdl schools in your area and price them out and see what is the best for your money. If you go with one of these larger company's like swift, Werner, England you have to go through their training and you are obligated to work for them for a year. Usually their training is really expensive. The last I have checked swift was 3,900. You will have to sign a contract and if you leave before your year you will owe the rest. What happens if you dont like the industry? What happens if you dont like being away from home for weeks or even months at a time? And just to let you know dont let these big company's fool you into believing that their cdl school is any better than anyone else. Its all the same just a name. Swift gives you all this class time for the written exam. I would get my dot psyical out the way. Go to the dmv and take the written after reading the cdl manual, then find a school where it wont be as expensive. Why pay for all that class time if you dont need it. Just make sure the state that you reside in doesn't require the class time. Their is no worse feeling than being obligated to work for someone that you dont want to.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:26 PM
Rookie
Default all good advice

It appears that my list is starting to narrow. Crst looks like they only run teams out here, so that's off the list. England and Swift seem like they're in the same boat. I was looking at Schneider because they run a school close to home out here. I also heard somewhere that they can't enforce the contract in California. That's interesting to me because it looks like you can get the training, get some experience, and if I don't like it I could go when I want. I'm still not sold on trucking as a career so I will continue to wait and see. However, I get more interested in it all the time. If someone would let me stay at home during the cdl training, with no contract to settle, and get what I want, it's starting to look like pumpkin season. I'm in no rush and I will exhaust all the recruiters with questions I want answered. If they can't answer my questions, I'll just cross them off the list.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:42 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default Re: all good advice

Quote:
I'm in no rush and I will exhaust all the recruiters with questions I want answered. If they can't answer my questions, I'll just cross them off the list.
Better bring plenty of pens then. :lol:
Old 02-20-2007, 12:55 AM
Rookie

I myself am getting the experience from a company and am planning on starting my own business after going local for a bit...And the stories you hear about different companies dont listen to em'... There is always a discruntle employee somewhere no matter how much they make...Just role wit the punches and come out on top...

Old 02-21-2007, 11:44 PM
Rookie
Default Thanks to all

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. It seems like the ball is in my court and every experience is different. It might just depend on how close the schools are here, what they can do for me, and what assurances each place can give. I'll continue to wait and see. I know these recruiters get paid more for each driver they recruit. Let's see how many give up on me and which ones are more patient.