Default Re: Paperless Logs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnk2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesisman
Howdy:
Anyone other than Werner using paperless logs? Are they a wave of the future or just another method to control the industry? Please advise....
thanks
So you are not ignored around here! I do not know of what companies do use the on board computers, although I do know a computer program that you can use on your own personal computer to fill out your log sheets on. Most companies are accepting them now and are great for drivers to us. Check it out

Driversdailylog.com

It will tell you when your 11 & 14 hour is up, it will tell you when your 70 hour is up (it does the re-cap for you). It is nice. You need a computer, printer, ink & paper. Check it out, most companies are accepting it any more.

No I don't get a profit; although I should since I sell @ least 2 a week for them! I suggest it for the fact to help the driver out!

I downloaded the program, they give you a 60 day free trial. Boy, the less work for me, the better I like it. I hate paperwork
Yeah it is nice so the drivers say and I have checked it out! Good luck, make sure you see if your company accepts it and if they do download their log format so it looks almost the same

It's also great for tax reasons (owner operators mainly; I guess?). Keeps track of expenses, fuel (fuel tax) etc! I don't know much about that part, but i know owner operators and the tax man loves it!
Old 02-17-2007, 12:49 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0iv
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssoutlaw
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesisman
Howdy:
Anyone other than Werner using paperless logs? Are they a wave of the future or just another method to control the industry? Please advise....
thanks
So you are not ignored around here! I do not know of what companies do use the on board computers, although I do know a computer program that you can use on your own personal computer to fill out your log sheets on. Most companies are accepting them now and are great for drivers to us. Check it out

Driversdailylog.com

It will tell you when your 11 & 14 hour is up, it will tell you when your 70 hour is up (it does the re-cap for you). It is nice. You need a computer, printer, ink & paper. Check it out, most companies are accepting it any more.

No I don't get a profit; although I should since I sell @ least 2 a week for them! I suggest it for the fact to help the driver out!
Dawn I would agree Driver Daily Log is a good program. I used it for years. That being said the majority of companies do not accept them. Mainly for two reasons. (1) They have pre-printed log forms. and (2) Many have custom log scanning software that Driver Daily Log does not support. It is still a good program that you can use and then transfer the results to a paper log however.

kc0iv

DDL does support scanable logs, read their website!
ssoutlaw, I have read and used most of their offering for scan logs and as I said they do not support many of the scanning systems. Reading their website they only support 33 log types. Nor do they plan on adding any more. As they say they don't have the manpower to do this.

I talked to Fritz several years ago about making more print modules and he said he just doesn't have the time. So it doesn't look like he has changed his mind.

kc0iv
KC: Let me ask you this. What format # are you using and what Log program does your company use?
Old 02-17-2007, 02:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
KC all the company needs to do is send them a log sheet and I believe maybe signing a form stating they allow Driversdailylog to post it for drivers use on their website.

I use JJ Keller scan software and it works better with them (as long as they use the company print out form)
I also know anyone using the Rair system; they allow the logs (as long as they use the company print out form)
Also Rapid accepts them!

I was going to give you the link to the companys that accept them, but it seems their website is having issue's (uh oh/ scary, but that happens)

Go to their website and look for where it says companies that accept DDL and you can see the list, it is pretty long! You can also use it regardless if they accept them or not and just copy from the computer to your log @ least it gives you the math answers! We accept them and I never sent anything out stating we do, just word of mouth if we have talked with them
Dawn I'll try to explain this to you. DDL has several print modules. If one of these print modules is setup to conform to what your company uses DDL will work. Now if you have the DDL "lite" version it will ONLY print in what they call the "classic style" it will not work with the other print modules. Now if you have the "full version" of DDL you can download different print modules that will conform to several format codes which will operate for those codes. However, as of now Fritz says there is only 33 different logs that he and Bruce has tested.

It is more involve than simply signing a release form and sending DDL a copy of your log. That is where the different print modules come into play. Such things as print size, carriage spacing, line feed spacing, etc. and all the different control codes used by the printer for each of them effect how DDL print modules works. As an example I used one of the loose leaf printed forms. None of the DDL print modules would work for that form. When I talked to Fritz he said the demand was not high enough to create that print module so there was nothing he could do at that time. I solved my problem by writing my own print module for the printer I had. Which BTW each printer requires different commands codes to perform the task.

When I changed carriers I was leased to and signed on with a new carrier they didn't use scanning software so I started using the classic module that DDL has and sent them to the carrier. Which was easier because using loose leaf required me to run a second program to make the conversion. I simply printed two copies. Send one to the carrier and kept one for my records. When I got home I would transfer the DDL information to my home computer as an addition backup and also for use it in my accounting program. As a side not I wrote the conversion program to transfer the DDL information to my accounting program. All I had to do was run one program to make the transfer.

If you look at the list of companies DDL has listed on their website you will notice there are very few major companies listed. Most of the major companies have their own custom forms which may or may not conform to DDL.

Again, let me say DDL "lite" will ONLY print in what they call "classic style."

This is no where a complete explanation of the topic of DDL print module. Not being rude by I doubt you have the computer background it would require to fully explain the print modules and how they work.

I do agree DDL is a good program even if you have to transfer it's results over a printed form. Whether a driver needs the DDL 'lite" or the DDL "full" depends if he/she needs the account information DDL can provide. If the driver drives a company truck I doubt he/she would need anything more than the "lite" assuming he/she doesn't need the additional print modules. If a driver follows the results given by DDL he/she can rest assured he/she will not have a problem with a log violation.

kc0iv
Old 02-17-2007, 10:25 PM
Board Regular

Dawn I would agree Driver Daily Log is a good program. I used it for years. That being said the majority of companies do not accept them. Mainly for two reasons. (1) They have pre-printed log forms. and (2) Many have custom log scanning software that Driver Daily Log does not support. It is still a good program that you can use and then transfer the results to a paper log however.

Instead of quoting your last post: I thought I would clarify what I was stating here!

1) Yes many companies have pre-printed forms: If your company has many drivers you can have the "company" contact Bruce or Frank and they would probably consider making that format if the company has many drivers that would be likely to pay the fee!
2) Goes to back to the 1 same answer.
I know this because we are also on Scan software within the company and Bruce made a template that works well with our scanning software.
I also know several of the Scanning softwares will work with the DDL!

There is not many scanning softwares out there for logs anyhow! I know the 3 main one's will work with the DDL. Now if DDL does not have that paticular format you do as stated in answer 1 (If they know they will get many drivers to sign up; it will be worth their time) It may take a month or 2 but that is well worth the wait!

I know the program pretty well myself! I do not care what they have to do to get the format of the log on the internet for drivers use, that is their career; not mine. I know they told me to send them an updated log (form 0801) and they will update it ,but it will take possibly 2 months to complete it. That is fine with me!
When you change carriers and they don't accept the DDL you get that company to understand hey it is better if you do accept these (again as long as the format is availabel and if not have many drivers send Bruce an e-mail to request it or have the company call and state how many drivers they have and he will probably agree to do it if the company has many drivers!)

I am only trying to help you out! Now if you work for a company that has 10 trucks chances are that wouldn't be worth DDL's time. But if you drive for a bigger company it would be worth his time. The form he has posted for 0801 doesn't print exactly like ours, but it works with my scanner! The form # is the key to the scanning software! I know about the logging software!

As far as major companies listed: Lets see JB Hunt, Celadon, Crete, CRST, them are just a few that I will name, like i said their site is having issue's at least from my connection. There is a list! There is also a list of the form #'s. If yours isn't on it, then you could leave it at that! Or you could attempt the steps I told you above.
That's what a driver did to get us to allow our drivers to use it. I simply said no! He went over my head and well the company said ok, it is really legal and worth it so we contacted DDL ourselves ! Saves the company money on log books :wink: That's one of their advantages
Old 02-18-2007, 01:54 PM
Senior Board Member

Dawn, I'm a retired computer programmer. So I'm sure I a have lot better understanding of what is involved in creating print modules than you.

Secondly, I haven't spoke to either Bruce or Frank. I have spoken several times to Fritz (before either Bruce or Frank were even involved). I was one of the guys involved in the beta testing of DDL way back when.

Dawn, I know you want to help. However, there are subjects you don't know about and are better left to those that do know. This just happens to be one of these subjects. It only makes people go off on you (which happens on just about thread on this board). Ask yourself Why?

As a wise man once said: " It is better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain

kc0iv
Old 02-19-2007, 01:48 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Dawn, I'm a retired computer programmer. So I'm sure I a have lot better understanding of what is involved in creating print modules than you.

Secondly, I haven't spoke to either Bruce or Frank. I have spoken several times to Fritz (before either Bruce or Frank were even involved). I was one of the guys involved in the beta testing of DDL way back when.

Dawn, I know you want to help. However, there are subjects you don't know about and are better left to those that do know. This just happens to be one of these subjects. It only makes people go off on you (which happens on just about thread on this board). Ask yourself Why?

As a wise man once said: " It is better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain

kc0iv
Again KC: I did not state anything about computer programing and knowledge of "how to" program it! I don't care about that!

I know how a driver is to go about getting the "COMPANY" to allow DDL and if the compay won't it is their loss! I know how Frank, Bruce and Fritz work, and if you can make them money I doubt they turn their back; will it take time to get the job done! YESSSSSSSSSS!

So again I think you have everything messed up and I guess you know it all from years ago!

For those drivers who might be interested follow the steps I mentioned and "MAYBE" you can get your company to accept DDL!

I know from "RECENT 2 WEEK" conversation with DDL on what "I" need to do! Again if they company is worth wasting their time, THEY WILL!
Sorry you mis understood the concept of the question being asked!
Old 02-19-2007, 01:52 AM
Board Regular

Quote:

kc0iv

Also it is best a wiseman learns how to read! Computer programing isn't the topic here!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't care who goes off! It is only the certain one's and the others well they seem to have no PROBLEEEEEEMMMMMMMMMMMMM with me!

IT's called grow up! You are retired? Wow you sound like about 16 for your maturity in typing! :roll:

I know I was not even talking about "PROGRAMMING THE DDL" I was talking about how to get your company to accept DDL and a "few" steps of how to get the process going! I never claimed to know the process and or know how the program was programmed as a matter of fact, I SAID I DONT CARE HOW IT IS DONE, That is their job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So make a fool of yourself by trying to make a fool of me, like Rev and the other 2 that do!
Old 02-19-2007, 03:58 AM
Senior Board Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 02-19-2007, 04:20 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
I don't care who goes off! It is only the certain one's and the others well they seem to have no PROBLEEEEEEMMMMMMMMMMMMM with me!
God, I think I'm in love..... :shock: :? :lol:
Old 02-19-2007, 04:21 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

On tonights episode of " Dawn does not know her azz from a paper sack "....