User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2007, 05:53 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by btinc
Good paying company and O/O jobs are out there, but they will not come looking for you, you got to do your research and go find them.
Well said
Old 02-13-2007, 07:37 AM
Rookie

Im thinking of going with crst in a year when my buddy has enough experience under his belt, so we can drive teams. I believe you can make more money that way, if im wrong please correct me. Also the plan is to lease with crst. (walk away lease, they say...anyone done that?) That is my big plan! yaye...Drive teams, lease the truck and drive. Anyone have any advice or opinions, espacially about crst...Please post :wink:
Old 02-13-2007, 07:42 AM
Senior Board Member

Be vary careful with crst. go to ooida website it talks about l/p deals and what to look for.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:44 AM
Senior Board Member

By the way you could team drive with marten transport and make more money. they would run a team all the miles you could handle and then some. BOL
Old 02-13-2007, 10:40 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollinStudio
Im thinking of going with crst in a year when my buddy has enough experience under his belt, so we can drive teams. I believe you can make more money that way, if im wrong please correct me. Also the plan is to lease with crst. (walk away lease, they say...anyone done that?) That is my big plan! yaye...Drive teams, lease the truck and drive. Anyone have any advice or opinions, espacially about crst...Please post :wink:

I recently spoke with a guy who is leasing a truck from CRST. He is also a trainer. He said it worked well for him, but he was getting extra money from his training pay. I have also spoken with others with varying degrees of opinion from going broke to this guy. Most people who do these leases lose their shirts. I have leased trucks to CRST Malone. These are trucks that I have owned, not rented or leased. I would not want to do a lease with ANY carrier. I have looked at a number of them over the years and I don't think any of them are in the best interest of the driver. What they don't usually tell you is some of the smaller charges and expenses associated with these deals. You may not find out until after you sign the lease. There is only one way to become an owner operator, as far as I am concerned. Save your money for a good down payment, or until you can pay cash. I believe I have only met 2 people over more than 30 years of being involved in this business, who have actually paid on of these leases off. That isn't a good track record. The reason carriers like these programs is because they make them a lot of money. Most drivers who do these leases could make more money driving a company truck.

My personal experience with CRST Malone was fairly positive. I was leased to them or 3 years. They have gone through some changes the last 2 or 3 years. CRST Malone operates autonomously from CRST vans out of Cedar Rapids, IA. Both do leases. You can buy a decent truck on your own for under $20,000. Most lenders require anywhere from 10-30% down. It isn't always easy to finance a class 8 truck. You will need decent credit and a down payment. If you don't have money put aside to run you and take care of expenses plus a down payment, you may want to wait. I think most new owner operators who get into trouble do so because of under capitalization. They don't have enough money saved to keep going should they have a major break down or expense. There is one thing I can assure you and that is that if you own a truck, whether it is new or used, it WILL break down. Unless you have sufficient resources set aside to take care of these costs, you are out of business and your credit could suffer. Don't be in such a hurry to get into your own truck. Wait until you can do it the right way. The right way doesn't include leasing a truck from CRST or ANY carrier. Good luck.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:02 PM
Rookie

From your area but live in MN now. Drive for a driver staffing agencie now so get to see what A lot of companys have to offer. I would say try a US Mail contractor for company driver. pay usualy in the 20s per hour. For O/O up here I could haul dirt useing company trailers 10 hours a day home for supper for 70 dollars an hour. Just need your own tractor,fuel insurance. no out of state stuff so no out of state permits an stae taxes. :lol:
Old 02-13-2007, 02:18 PM
Rookie
Default Re: Where is the money??????

You need to do your math, man. 2500 miles a week X 50 weeks X 40 cents a mile=$50,000 and thats 125,000 miles a yr. most drivers average 100,000 miles a yr[/quote]

Well I started out as a local driver at just under $14.00 an hour for 5 months. From there I went to dedicated for 3 months until the contract was up and now I'm doing 11 western. So maybe if I remain on 11 western my "math" will line up with your prejections.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:31 PM
Rookie
Default thanks

Thanks for all of your responses. I have gotten some good advice and interesting perspectives. I appreciate it.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:22 AM

I suggest getting out and do some face to face research as many are making a mint in this business still, you have to work smart, not hard.

Most on here will say it's impossible to make good money nowadays. The same people that choose to run 5mpg hogs with a front end that resembles a garage door. Your choice of truck between a fuel miser and a "big car" classic can be the difference between just making it and doing well.

Times that by 10 trucks and the guy with a fleet of 379s looks great and is making little and the guy with a fleet of 660s looks smart and is millionaire, period. I know people on both sides of that fence.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:20 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollinStudio

I recently spoke with a guy who is leasing a truck from CRST. He is also a trainer. He said it worked well for him, but he was getting extra money from his training pay. I have also spoken with others with varying degrees of opinion from going broke to this guy. Most people who do these leases lose their shirts. I have leased trucks to CRST Malone. These are trucks that I have owned, not rented or leased. I would not want to do a lease with ANY carrier. I have looked at a number of them over the years and I don't think any of them are in the best interest of the driver. What they don't usually tell you is some of the smaller charges and expenses associated with these deals. You may not find out until after you sign the lease. There is only one way to become an owner operator, as far as I am concerned. Save your money for a good down payment, or until you can pay cash. I believe I have only met 2 people over more than 30 years of being involved in this business, who have actually paid on of these leases off. That isn't a good track record. The reason carriers like these programs is because they make them a lot of money. Most drivers who do these leases could make more money driving a company truck.

My personal experience with CRST Malone was fairly positive. I was leased to them or 3 years. They have gone through some changes the last 2 or 3 years. CRST Malone operates autonomously from CRST vans out of Cedar Rapids, IA. Both do leases. You can buy a decent truck on your own for under $20,000. Most lenders require anywhere from 10-30% down. It isn't always easy to finance a class 8 truck. You will need decent credit and a down payment. If you don't have money put aside to run you and take care of expenses plus a down payment, you may want to wait. I think most new owner operators who get into trouble do so because of under capitalization. They don't have enough money saved to keep going should they have a major break down or expense. There is one thing I can assure you and that is that if you own a truck, whether it is new or used, it WILL break down. Unless you have sufficient resources set aside to take care of these costs, you are out of business and your credit could suffer. Don't be in such a hurry to get into your own truck. Wait until you can do it the right way. The right way doesn't include leasing a truck from CRST or ANY carrier. Good luck.
excellent/worthy advice GMAN