User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2007, 02:10 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Not true if using a CMV for personal use. If bobtailing for personal use, every bit of it can be logged in the OFF DUTY section. It doesn't use up any hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flood
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick4
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasman2
Get a taxi, or see if they have dial-a-ride, or bus.
I called a taxi but it wasn't cheap and no busses around. And to Madbunny, I don't mean to be rude, but I'm not an idiot. I know company policy and all that. I don't work for UPS or some high paying job where I wouldn't want to risk something. I'm basically looking here on how strict these truck stops are for dropping trailers. I will even pay to park the thing if they let me.
you are out of hours so how can you be driving around bobtail in a CMV
you can only drive a POV you should know that.

i will not even get into what your DAC will look like with a ( unauthorized use or unauthorized droping) you say " I don't work for UPS or some high paying job where I wouldn't want to risk something" but by doing this you are riskng your ability to get a trucking job after you lose this one.

now as to droping the trailer just talk to the fuel desk and ask if thy said ok great and if thy say no you may not find your trailer when you get back from you joy ride " try explaining how it got towed to your boss"

just my three cents worth
Old 02-11-2007, 05:09 AM
Board Regular

dont just sit there.get a life man.taxi to the motel and buy the girls drinks in the lounge. i better get going myself!
Old 02-11-2007, 05:10 AM
Senior Board Member

well then lets try this :?:
fmcsa §395.8 Driver's record of duty status. :!:
(h)(1) Off duty. Except for time spent resting in a sleeper berth, a continuous line shall be drawn between the appropriate time markers to record the period(s) of time when the driver is not on duty, is not required to be in readiness to work, or is not under any responsibility for performing work.
(h)(3) Driving. A continuous line shall be drawn between the appropriate time markers to record the period(s) of driving time as defined in §395.2.
§395.2 Definitions. :?: Driving time means all time spent at the driving controls of a commercial motor vehicle in operation.:dung:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver67373
Not true if using a CMV for personal use. If bobtailing for personal use, every bit of it can be logged in the OFF DUTY section. It doesn't use up any hours.
the only way you can use a CMV as a POV is if you own it and as merrick4 is a company driver the truck is ALWAYS a CMV.
an O/O can do it but not a co driver that is unless you can find and show the reg.. :shock: and just as a side note what company will let you use their truck for personal use, thy would still hit you for unauthorized use.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:24 AM
Board Regular

get a life
Old 02-11-2007, 05:47 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer
get a life
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 02-11-2007, 06:55 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoohaa
Why not get a room?

What he said.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:37 AM

Well I do lease my truck so in essence I own it, but I also know of Prime company drivers that use it for personal use in their offtime. I spoke with the logbook department, and they got their stuff straight. They know what they are talking about. According to that regulation, if the driver is bobtailing for personal use, then he is not required to be ready for work not is under any responsibility for performing work. Therefore he can log the bobtailing in offduty.

Quote:
well then lets try this :?:
fmcsa §395.8 Driver's record of duty status. :!:
(h)(1) Off duty. Except for time spent resting in a sleeper berth, a continuous line shall be drawn between the appropriate time markers to record the period(s) of time when the driver is not on duty, is not required to be in readiness to work, or is not under any responsibility for performing work.
(h)(3) Driving. A continuous line shall be drawn between the appropriate time markers to record the period(s) of driving time as defined in §395.2.
§395.2 Definitions. :?: Driving time means all time spent at the driving controls of a commercial motor vehicle in operation.:dung:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver67373
the only way you can use a CMV as a POV is if you own it and as merrick4 is a company driver the truck is ALWAYS a CMV.
an O/O can do it but not a co driver that is unless you can find and show the reg.. :shock: and just as a side note what company will let you use their truck for personal use, thy would still hit you for unauthorized use.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:00 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
what company will let you use their truck for personal use, thy would still hit you for unauthorized use.
CFI.

We were allowed to bob-tail from terminals (with the exception of Joplin). It was logged on line 1... OFF DUTY.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:39 PM
Senior Board Member

No matter what or how the law reads, a DOT officer will give you a ticket if you drive down the road in a commercial vehicle and not logging it as on duty, driving.

On the other side of that, you have to do something to get pulled over... like speeding, in a no-truck zone, missing a mud flap, etc..

Now, if you have a QC, your company knows every mile you drive, and possibly weather your connected to your trailer.

You best bet? If your going to leave your rig, take a cab. The little amount you pay won't be as much as what you lose if you get fired. :wink:

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'

Old 02-11-2007, 01:48 PM
Board Regular

FMCSA

Sounds like a grey area open to interpertation. Yes, he can use the truck for personal conveyance, but it sounds like only for "traveling short distances from a driver's en route lodgings (such as en route terminals or motels) to restaurants in the vicinity of such lodgings"

Sightseeing doesn't seem to be on the list.

Quote:
Question 26: If a driver is permitted to use a CMV for personal reasons, how must the driving time be recorded?

Guidance: When a driver is relieved from work and all responsibility for performing work, time spent traveling from a driver's home to his/her terminal (normal work reporting location), or from a driver's terminal to his/her home, may be considered off-duty time. Similarly, time spent traveling short distances from a driver's en route lodgings (such as en route terminals or motels) to restaurants in the vicinity of such lodgings may be considered off-duty time. The type of conveyance used from the terminal to the driver's home, from the driver's home to the terminal, or to restaurants in the vicinity of en route lodgings would not alter the situation unless the vehicle is laden. A driver may not operate a laden CMV as a personal conveyance. The driver who uses a motor carrier's CMV for transportation home, and is subsequently called by the employing carrier and is then dispatched from home, would be on-duty from the time the driver leaves home.