User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2007, 02:54 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default leaving a company?

Hey guys, can those with experience in it tell me the best way to leave a company when it's time to move on? Do you give 2 weeks notice? Do you go home and offer to keep the truck at your house till it's convient for them to come and get it? I wouldn't quit in the middle of a run because that's just wrong, but am I going to have to drive the truck 600 miles to their terminal and take a bus home? if so, do I then have to pay for the bus ticket? Thanks for your time.
Old 02-03-2007, 03:08 AM
Board Regular

Give a 2 week notice and discuss with your dispatcher how to turn the truck in and if you bring it to the terminal how will you get home. Some will give you bus fair (usually nothing more) to get home. But some may also say ok we can have a driver pick it up @ a neutral location for everyone's convenience. Giving the 2 week notice shows you are not abandoning the load and you are not just up and quitting. You need to treat it just like any other job. GIVE A 2 WEEK NOTICE, because chances are you will go back to that company if you have been there for more than 90 days.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:39 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn
Give a 2 week notice and discuss with your dispatcher how to turn the truck in and if you bring it to the terminal how will you get home. Some will give you bus fair (usually nothing more) to get home. But some may also say ok we can have a driver pick it up @ a neutral location for everyone's convenience. Giving the 2 week notice shows you are not abandoning the load and you are not just up and quitting. You need to treat it just like any other job. GIVE A 2 WEEK NOTICE, because chances are you will go back to that company if you have been there for more than 90 days.
This has always been interesting subject to me. A company want the employee to give 2 weeks notice or more. Yet, they will terminate with zero notice to the employee. I've always wonder why the double standard.

I agree with Dawn on everything else except the returning part. It has been my experience very few employees go back to their old company.

Most companies have never grasp the concept of what it really what it takes to maintain an above average relationship with their employees. It seems to be a real problem in the trucking industry.

kc0iv
Old 02-03-2007, 02:07 PM
Senior Board Member

Check the employee / driver handbook it should / might have information on the steps on quiting.

With the company I'm familiar with:
1) if you don't check in your tractor at the terminal you will be charged .75cpm for the recovery of the tractor, DAC entry will be submitted
2) you will eventually pay for the bus ticket -- on your last pay check
3) if you don't give a 2 week notice a DAC entry COULD be submitted.

If anyone (dispatcher etc) tells you anything contrary to what the handbook says get it in writing and signed by everyone at the company.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:38 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0iv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn
This has always been interesting subject to me. A company want the employee to give 2 weeks notice or more. Yet, they will terminate with zero notice to the employee. I've always wonder why the double standard.

I agree with Dawn on everything else except the returning part. It has been my experience very few employees go back to their old company.

Most companies have never grasp the concept of what it really what it takes to maintain an above average relationship with their employees. It seems to be a real problem in the trucking industry.

kc0iv
I was a manager before I lost my mind and entered trucking so let me answer your question. if you where terminated (i.e. fired) its because you screwed up or did a poor job. either way that was your notice.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:24 AM
Senior Board Member

Pah! If Im not happy with how my company treats me, they will know about it . if nothing happens and I complain again, thats my notice that im gone if nothing changes.
I goes both way.

But, yes- Giving a notice help skeep your dac clean. I dont think many companies will hold it against you though. Enough is enough sometimes, just finish the run and bring the equipment to a terminal. Another good reason to live close to a terminal! If there are safety concerns, or legality concerns that are ignored it a different story.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:40 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

It is always best to leave on good terms with an employer. I would give a notice before quiting. They should tell you where to leave the truck. Most likely it will be turned in at one of their terminals. You will want to get someone to check everything on the truck to make sure you are not charged for anything which might be damaged. You will be responsible for finding transportation home. I don't recall hearing anyone tell me that once they quit a company that the carrier paid their way home. I would expect to either get a bus or arrange for someone to pick you up. Once you quit the company no longer has an obligation to help get you home. One other thing, it would be good to have another job to go to when you leave.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:11 PM
Senior Board Member

If you tend to be a pain in the ass with the company and give two weeks, chances are they will let you go two weeks early. But if you proven yourself to be a reliable employee who also looks at the company's best interests, they'll probably let you stay those two weeks.

I gave my last employer a month so they could find someone to replace me.

I dont like to burn my bridges because you'll also need that company as a reference.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmate1577

I dont like to burn my bridges because you'll also need that company as a reference.
That and you never know when you might work for and/or with someone at another company. While I know this to be true in the food, zoo, and advertising world, I'm assuming this is true in trucking as well.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:59 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
It is always best to leave on good terms with an employer. I would give a notice before quiting. They should tell you where to leave the truck. Most likely it will be turned in at one of their terminals. You will want to get someone to check everything on the truck to make sure you are not charged for anything which might be damaged. You will be responsible for finding transportation home. I don't recall hearing anyone tell me that once they quit a company that the carrier paid their way home. I would expect to either get a bus or arrange for someone to pick you up. Once you quit the company no longer has an obligation to help get you home. One other thing, it would be good to have another job to go to when you leave.
When I left Celadon, they offered me a bus ticket home. The problem is that the closest bus terminal to me is over 2hrs away. I told them no thanks, I'd have to rent a car. They made the car reservation for me and once I turned the car in locally, they had me send them the receipt where I paid for it. My final check from Celadon included reimbursement for the rental car.