User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2007, 05:33 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default So Why Do We Do It?

We all have something mentally wrong with us. We picked an industry that is possibly the most screwed up in the entire US or World for that matter.

We drive for hours on end to make the almighty dollar some legal some illegal. We stay away from our family for days or weeks on end. We tolerate truck stops that basically are, and can be !@#$holes..(no TP, Pt or worse shit on a door handle). We put up with dispatchers that want it yesterday and know the rules of the industry but still push us to do it illegal (some companies). Traffic, Arrogance, Super trucker, Crazy drivers, slow drivers, NYC or Chicago, no parking, lack of quality food, park in spots at time where you have to wipe you butt on the grass (shipper or consignee). Days without showers (some of us). Work for no pay (unload your truck but the first hours is free or sit around for two hours waiting to get loaded or unloaded but the first two hours are free).

What is wrong with us????

They say truck driving is a lifestyle. Well you know what, it definitely is!!! I was thinking I have a good gig going on. You know what, compared to what is involved in this industry I think alot of drivers would like to do what I do. I am a national driver who works a regional schedule. I go to Florida every week and back home by the weekend.

But I got thinking. We are out here and are dictated by what is probably the most communistic industry. Work for free!! Wait for free!! Drive for free (come on now drivers you cant say you have never gone over your 11 or 14 hrs to get to a truck stop or place to be on time). We put up with big brother regulating showing when you took a piss or got something to eat. I mean really do they need to know. What other job in the world do you know where you must list you daily activities. I thought of putting in my logbook when I decided to rub one out just to mess with them (kidding of course). But you get the point.

So why? Why do we tolerate this type of environment, work conditions or better yet living conditions. When does the American truck driver get up and say you know what!! !@#$ YOU!! I ain't doing it anymore. If you want me to unload this truck Show the almighty Ben Franklin (I don't unload BTW). Or DOT !@#$ You when did you get to work and when did you pee and when did you eat and when did you sleep. Oh BTW Mr DOT guy when you get home tonight you will have to sit and wait 6 hours before your spouse decides to give you sexual pleasure (you all know what I mean) Oh and then after that kind of activity, unfortunately you will have to take your ten hours off so you can rest or you can take eight and the finish up the remaining after your two hours in a little while.

So what am I saying???

Am I unhappy?? NO and YES

I just think that we are probably the most taken advantage of people in the world.

One more scenario for you.

So I go and interview for a local driving position. I went out and got my Hazmat cause god forbid if you don't have for some of these places. But I was thinking of hauling gas. So I interview. The guy says well during training we will pay you $11.00 hr plus 30cm. I laughed at him. I said are you kidding. You want me to sit on a time bomb which is 107,000 lbs (permits) and get paid that??? ($14.40 and 36cpm after 90 days) I said thanks but no thanks. My last job paid me more than that and I didn't spend all the extra money.

OK enough complaining. I like what I do!! But I analyze where and what my career can go and all I see is an industry is full of BS. Would I trade what I do for now for what I was doing before? Absolutely not. But do I wish I decided to take up computer instead of trucking? Hell yes and probably going to push forward with it.

So why and when do we as truck drivers stand up and say no more??

Why do you still tolerate the crap we put up with in this industry?

I am curious to hear from OO. From my understanding you guys are hurting or will be hurting soon, I see alot of trucks for sale.

OK so let the truth come out!! Don't be scared reply. Especially you MODS. You guys or gals having definitely been doing it awhile. Why do you tolerate this crap. I am curious to hear sheepdancers response to any of this seeing as he is a dispatcher.

May the bitching or I am happy as a pig in mud begin!!!!
Old 01-14-2007, 05:48 AM
Board Regular

I know what you're saying ibamars. I do love my job very much, but I've sat down several times and figured out the hours I've done compared to what I'm making and it's very discouraging. Actually it's depressing. At times it can be even less than minimum wage if you've had to deal with weather, traffic tieups or such. Company or O/O's I think all companies should have to pay the same wages to their drivers. Some are so ridiculously low. How can a driver live on the wages. Especially if they have a family to support. How to make things better I don't know, but I do agree something needs to happen. Drive safe everyone.
Old 01-14-2007, 06:31 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: So Why Do We Do It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibamars
We all have something mentally wrong with us. We picked an industry that is possibly the most screwed up in the entire US or World for that matter.

We drive for hours on end to make the almighty dollar some legal some illegal. We stay away from our family for days or weeks on end. We tolerate truck stops that basically are, and can be !@#$holes..(no TP, Pt or worse $&!+ on a door handle). We put up with dispatchers that want it yesterday and know the rules of the industry but still push us to do it illegal (some companies). Traffic, Arrogance, Super trucker, Crazy drivers, slow drivers, NYC or Chicago, no parking, lack of quality food, park in spots at time where you have to wipe you butt on the grass (shipper or consignee). Days without showers (some of us). Work for no pay (unload your truck but the first hours is free or sit around for two hours waiting to get loaded or unloaded but the first two hours are free).

What is wrong with us????

They say truck driving is a lifestyle. Well you know what, it definitely is!!! I was thinking I have a good gig going on. You know what, compared to what is involved in this industry I think alot of drivers would like to do what I do. I am a national driver who works a regional schedule. I go to Florida every week and back home by the weekend.

But I got thinking. We are out here and are dictated by what is probably the most communistic industry. Work for free!! Wait for free!! Drive for free (come on now drivers you cant say you have never gone over your 11 or 14 hrs to get to a truck stop or place to be on time). We put up with big brother regulating showing when you took a piss or got something to eat. I mean really do they need to know. What other job in the world do you know where you must list you daily activities. I thought of putting in my logbook when I decided to rub one out just to mess with them (kidding of course). But you get the point.

So why? Why do we tolerate this type of environment, work conditions or better yet living conditions. When does the American truck driver get up and say you know what!! !@#$ YOU!! I ain't doing it anymore. If you want me to unload this truck Show the almighty Ben Franklin (I don't unload BTW). Or DOT !@#$ You when did you get to work and when did you pee and when did you eat and when did you sleep. Oh BTW Mr DOT guy when you get home tonight you will have to sit and wait 6 hours before your spouse decides to give you sexual pleasure (you all know what I mean) Oh and then after that kind of activity, unfortunately you will have to take your ten hours off so you can rest or you can take eight and the finish up the remaining after your two hours in a little while.

So what am I saying???

I just think that we are probably the most taken advantage of people in the world.

One more scenario for you.

So I go and interview for a local driving position. I went out and got my Hazmat cause god forbid if you don't have for some of these places. But I was thinking of hauling gas. So I interview. The guy says well during training we will pay you $11.00 hr plus 30cm. I laughed at him. I said are you kidding. You want me to sit on a time bomb which is 107,000 lbs (permits) and get paid that??? ($14.40 and 36cpm after 90 days) I said thanks but no thanks. My last job paid me more than that and I didn't spend all the extra money.

OK enough complaining. I like what I do!! But I analyze where and what my career can go and all I see is an industry is full of BS. Would I trade what I do for now for what I was doing before? Absolutely not. But do I wish I decided to take up computer instead of trucking? Hell yes and probably going to push forward with it.

So why and when do we as truck drivers stand up and say no more??

Why do you still tolerate the crap we put up with in this industry?

I am curious to hear from OO. From my understanding you guys are hurting or will be hurting soon, I see alot of trucks for sale.

OK so let the truth come out!! Don't be scared reply. Especially you MODS. You guys or gals having definitely been doing it awhile. Why do you tolerate this crap. I am curious to hear sheepdancers response to any of this seeing as he is a dispatcher.

May the bitching or I am happy as a pig in mud begin!!!!
As long as there are these cdl mills as someone here put it, there is always someone to fill the job, so the company's say why fix it! Just like the O/O case, someone to haul it cheaper!!
Old 01-14-2007, 06:49 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf_1
I know what you're saying ibamars. I do love my job very much, but I've sat down several times and figured out the hours I've done compared to what I'm making and it's very discouraging. Actually it's depressing. At times it can be even less than minimum wage if you've had to deal with weather, traffic tieups or such. Company or O/O's I think all companies should have to pay the same wages to their drivers. Some are so ridiculously low. How can a driver live on the wages. Especially if they have a family to support. How to make things better I don't know, but I do agree something needs to happen. Drive safe everyone.
1st of all, if you want some advice, the normal job wont pay you while you are waiting to go to work in the morning. When ever I wait its my time, I do what I want which is usually sleep or eat. I wont babysit a cb radio, when they want the load they come get me or they don't get it. Tell them you don't have a radio. You guys who haul garbage would be wise to learn this, because when you check in they have to load or unload you before they go home. Its like being a O/O, I would rather sit than cater to them. They get the hint, and I have left and not loaded or unloaded unless I was paid. Company's who do this would not keep me as an employee long. Another thing you have to sleep even at a regular job, so why should a trucking company pay you for this? Sometimes, it happens every year, the weather holds you back, this is a bit@h but oh well. Traffic is a pain also, but alot of regular people see traffic in a normal day also, and who pays for that? I would say a lot of drivers mainly live in their trucks for some or most of every week. All this said you get paid for your driving time!! How could you look at it any other way? Think about it..
Old 01-14-2007, 05:05 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: So Why Do We Do It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibamars
So what am I saying???

I think that your post has made many fine points, and your personal reflections are quite noteworthy!!

There is one observation with which I must disagree!!

Are drivers unfairly exploited?? In many cases, I would offer a resounding "Yes"!!!

The MOST taken advantage of people in the world

No!!!

I've been to too many different countries throughout the world, and I've seen first hand groups and races of people who would give their right arm to be where many drivers are today.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:09 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssoutlaw
Sometimes, it happens every year, the weather holds you back, this is a bit@h but oh well. Traffic is a pain also, but alot of regular people see traffic in a normal day also, and who pays for that?
I get over $20.00/hr plus OT to drive truck and deal with all of that crap. Waiting to get loaded/unloaded? Paid. Breakdown? Paid. Held up at customer? Paid. Weather? Paid. Wouldn't have it any other way.

That's exactly why I'm not in OTR anymore. Way too many freebies.

Quote:
All this said you get paid for your driving time!!
Don't forget the 10% miles you drive for free due to HHG.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:50 PM
Senior Board Member

Useless wrote:
Quote:
The MOST taken advantage of people in the world

No!!!

I've been to too many different countries throughout the world, and I've seen first hand groups and races of people who would give their right arm to be where many drivers are today.
This is probably true, however that doesn't mean it's a good deal.

It used to be that people in third world countries aspired to achieve a better standard of living and used the U.S. as an example.

Now it seems that instead of the third world countries standard of living rising to meet that of the U.S., the U.S. standard of living is falling to meet that of the third world.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:52 PM

Why do we do it anymore? Thats a question being asked by a lot of proffesions these days ,not just trucking. If you would have bought a modest 1400 sf 2/2 house here in FL 5 years ago it would cost you about $90,000,now those same homes are selling for $170,000. So many occupations like truck driver, school teacher, block layer, etc. are getiing priced right out of the American dream. Nowadays if your making between 35-50k a year your next meal could come from the soup kitchen if your not careful.

I attribute the crisis to 4 things: 1)exportation of manufacturing overseas.2) Too many immigrants have diluted the work force and driven down wages. 3) Way too much government, you can't cut a tree down in your backyard without having a permit now. 4) Baby boomers, they have never done without in thier life, and what used to be called greed is now en vogue. I work at thier house's everyday, and i'm thankful for them, they pay me quite well, but dammit in addition to the $500,000 crib they have , they have 2 vacation homes besides thier investment properties, it's enough to make you sick. That's when I wonder "why bother".

You can't always do what you like, or like what you do, but you gotta do it anyhow.
Old 01-14-2007, 06:29 PM
Board Regular

This sounds like a pity potty thread getting started. I'm curious how many drivers were forced by gunpoint into the job. Everyone had a choice when they chose this profession, and have the same choice to stay or leave. If you disagree with managements philiosophy maybe it's time to find a new management to work for. Go find that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow and report back so we can all join in. Personally, I think drivers either really like driving and have learned to manage the BS, or just don't have any other marketable skills to be employed in. In between, there's alot of complainers with no solutions to offer.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:18 PM

Trucking is just like the old price of gas myth "if everybody would just quit buying it for one day.........."
Trucking will never stop for one day there always will be someone willing to haul for less.