User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2007, 10:20 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the wonderful world of "local" driving and being home everyday. I guess there's a trade-off to everything. When I hauled local (milk tankers and rock buckets) it was like that every day. We had to be on our best behavior and hope we didn't get popped. Lots of backroading to avoid scales and lots of getting pulled over randomly for thorough inspections. Since going back OTR I haven't been DOTed once or even given a second look by a DOT man. Life is good. 8)
Old 01-14-2007, 10:23 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95
Millersod, locals around my area who do rock hauling, debris hauling from construction sites and sand hauling get popped all the time. As the DOT officer told me when I got pulled, we just love pulling you guys that are local because it's so easy to bust you for being overweight. The OTR guys usually have already scaled so we cannot get them before they get it fixed. I got hit for being 3,000 over on my rear drive, a total of a $79 fine. I had just loaded with broken up concrete and was getting ready to pull out onto the highway when he stopped and told me to go pull into the next parking lot. I was under my gross by 4,000 but yet over on my rear drive by 3,000??? Did not have to appear in court for it.
$79 for 3000lbs?! The last overweight ticket I got when I was rock hauling I was 2000lbs over and was fined almost $200. :roll:
Old 01-14-2007, 10:46 PM
Board Icon

1 cent for every pound equals $30 plus another $49 between taxes, court costs and a few other things. I could only shake my head that they wrote me for such a cheap fine.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:59 PM
Board Regular

even if the company pays the ticket its still on your record.im fortunate to have one over weight on my 7 year printout.its a good idea to get a copy of your .record every now and then.may be your insurance is gonna go up.maybe you want a better job that wants a clean record. while overweight may not be your fault to some it maybe a safety issue if they are hiring for a serious gig but youre are always overloaded .by cooperating with the man some equipment tickets can be written to the company even if you are guilty of operating defective equipment
Old 01-15-2007, 09:26 PM
Board Icon

That depends homer. Officer told me it was not against me and would not be on my record unless the company failed to pay the fine at which point MY license would be suspended. If they paid it, my record would still be clear and viola, it is clear. The officer did ask if I had loaded the truck myself, "Not hardly sir!!"
Old 01-15-2007, 09:49 PM
Board Icon

Hmmm..... so much for the JOYS of working "local" jobs. FrostyMug? Highwayman? ANy others?

I drive OTR and LOVE the "green light!"

Seriously though, I think this is a travesty!! Like someone said about how they FUND local projects by hassling you guys! It ain't right!

Then again.... find out how much you can load on a truck without being overweight!

I got an idea.... one of you "entrepreneurs" in the area should buy a portable scale and a pickup truck and a cellphone/CB and charge $20 a pop for a "service call" anywhere and everywhere you're needed!

Don't give the DOT a DIME!!!!

Just out of curiosity.... how many $20 bills could I earn a day in your area??

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:22 PM
Senior Board Member

You guys/gals want fun. Pull containers. Around Kansas City local D.O.T. just love to setup just outside the rail yards. You can't even check your weight before you leave the rail yards. Many of these containers are over weight.

Since there is no way you can have on board scales (being you are using different chassis) you are open for a over weight tickets. Most of the BOL don't show a true weight.

Let alone many chassis won't pass D.O.T. inspections.

kc0iv
Old 03-12-2007, 05:51 PM
Rookie
Default Over Weight

Hey everybody,
I'm actually not a truck driver, but I'm pretty familiar with the industry. I should admit that I help market onboard load scales for a company called Right Weigh. Without sounding like too much of a commercial, have you looked into onboard scales? I get a lot of repeat customers who are using them with real success knowing their weight all the time...There are several companies making them that you might want to look into: Truck Weight, Quick Check Axle Scales, etc. Right Weigh makes a simple/affordable unit, giving you your on-the-ground axle weight in real pounds not psi.

Anyone tried onboard scales? Any feedback/thoughts? :?:
Old 03-12-2007, 07:37 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Over Weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWLS
Hey everybody,
I'm actually not a truck driver, but I'm pretty familiar with the industry. I should admit that I help market onboard load scales for a company called Right Weigh. Without sounding like too much of a commercial, have you looked into onboard scales? I get a lot of repeat customers who are using them with real success knowing their weight all the time...There are several companies making them that you might want to look into: Truck Weight, Quick Check Axle Scales, etc. Right Weigh makes a simple/affordable unit, giving you your on-the-ground axle weight in real pounds not psi.

Anyone tried onboard scales? Any feedback/thoughts? :?:
I've used them. Works fine if you pull the same trailer all the time.

What the industry need to come with is a scale that inflates that will read weight. Roll it up when your done. Not only could it read total weight it would work when you have to slide the axles.

I can see a real market if the price is right.

kc0iv
Old 03-12-2007, 08:19 PM
Rookie

Yeah, that sounds kinda like the idea behind portable platform scales. The main issue with those being the price. Onboard scales can be a lot less expensive, and you don't have to drive onto the scale or anything, it is always monitoring your weight. But your right ...if you're pulling a different trailer every time the whole fleet would need to be outfitted.