User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2007, 03:58 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

You guys in NY. Baydog we talked on the phone before. I was the one who interviewed with ARG. I said thanks but no thanks. Anyways, when I was going to get my hazmat back in December. I spoke to the officer in the police station. He did tell me NY is on a big kick right now..

They are heavily looking at logbooks. So make sure you guys are up to snuff. I live over off of I-87 in Albany and they have been set up pretty heavily over here as well.

Be safe see ya out there
Old 01-12-2007, 06:47 AM
Senior Board Member

Dude

If you run heavy on a regular basis getting a on board scale is a no brainer. You've bought one the 1st overweight ticket you get.

Talk about stepping over a dollar to save a dime.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:59 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I believe air weigh only costs a few hundred dollars. It would save you more than that with one ticket.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:09 PM

When I hauled loads of crushed cars, we were treated the same. Since a majority of the scrap haulers, and prob like your sod haulers, are older trucks and trailers, they tend to raise an eye brow.

Did you ever hear of the light system? When I got nailed once, the DOT officer said they run as many dot numbers as possible, a green light tells them you have little to no violations, and you are more likely to get away fine, yellow is elevated, and the risks go up. Red is bad. If a company has an elevated record of fines, DOT stops, etc the chances of you getting stopped are just as likley.

OK now that you got a second fine....be prepared they are gonna start watching you heavier now.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:56 PM
Board Regular

Well this topic seemed to take off overnight, i just got back home and i was able to stay away from the "man" today. I see some guys on here saying that my employer is cheap, or doesn't care about the safety and what not, but sod is a real tough commodity to haul legally, some days it's light, then it rains overnight and boom, you're back to being overweight again. I don't know if i'm the only one on here who's hauling sod, but i'm sure you trash haulers can understand what i'm talking about. Here in Florida it seems like this time of year, with oranges, and all the produce being picked, that the DOT has stepped it up, i'm not, and none of these other guys out there are doing anything shady, but we're doing our best to stay out of the way of DOT, atleast until they settle down a little bit.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:54 PM
Senior Board Member

I know what you mean about the rain Millersod. My trailer can pick up 2000 lbs to 3000 lbs of water overnight with a steady rain. I have an air gauge on my truck but not on my trailer as it is spring ride. I have a roudabout idea of the weight but no wheres near accurate. The worst is when the stuff we are loading is wet and we can't fill the trailer to the top. I have to be able to walk in the trailer to tarp and untarp and when it's not full it makes it quite a task. Luckily I don't haul household garbage, just construction and deomolition debris (C&D ) so I don't have to walk on nasty stuff
Old 01-13-2007, 11:41 PM
Rookie

DOT is just doing their job,...get an on board scale, your life will never be the same.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:23 AM

it would seem like gman said it would be cheaper to put onbourd scales than keep paying those fines.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:52 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK THE TRUCKER
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAYDOG
Seems they are out all over the place more in force then usual. I have been pulled in twice in two weeks, no violations. But we are permitted for 107,00 pounds. And the company keeps the tractors and trailers up to snuff. So it is more to check our paperwork and logs.
They're all over our area lately BAYDOG. They are constantly at 43,42,41. They love the hundreds of walking floors getting off at those exits to go to the landfills. I knoo they are just doing their job but when I have received tickets for being overweight they could care less about anything else. They don't check lights or nothing.
They fund so many city/state/county budgets with those fines it's unreal... Safty ROFL thats funny...
Old 01-14-2007, 04:30 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Millersod, locals around my area who do rock hauling, debris hauling from construction sites and sand hauling get popped all the time. As the DOT officer told me when I got pulled, we just love pulling you guys that are local because it's so easy to bust you for being overweight. The OTR guys usually have already scaled so we cannot get them before they get it fixed. I got hit for being 3,000 over on my rear drive, a total of a $79 fine. I had just loaded with broken up concrete and was getting ready to pull out onto the highway when he stopped and told me to go pull into the next parking lot. I was under my gross by 4,000 but yet over on my rear drive by 3,000??? Did not have to appear in court for it.