Old 01-15-2007, 01:42 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless

Trucking companies are already dealing with turnover rates of anywhere from 80%, (which, sadly, is often considered to be low!!) to over 125%; they deal with the "shortage by hiring some new trainee to take the place of an experienced driver. Now, with NAFTA, and our currently "relaxed" immigration standards, if American drivers don't want the job, a driver from Mexico or India will be glad to take the job for them!!

The turnover rates are CAUSED by the same drivers who are causing the low pay by running illegal. The carriers have no reason to raise the pay rates, because some BBR will always come along to run it cheap and illegal.

So the guys who are trying to make it in this business running legal never will.
No, Rev!!!

You are not going to cure the ills of driver compensation by trying to create a "shortage" due to decreased productivity!!

The fact of the matter is that right now, there is no true "shortage" of drivers if there were, then companies like "Old Dominion", "UPS", and "Yellow" would be struggling to fill their seats as well. Turnover rates are high because too many companies have no problem with replacing experienced drivers with inexperienced drivers. Decreasing productivity is analogous to trying to solve the problem by making it worse!!

If you don't believe this, then I would call upon all drivers to do exactly as you suggest; run completely legal for one full month. As your productivity drops off, and on time pick-up and delivery rates suffer accordingly, your employer will have to do one of three things;

(1.) Decrease the number of dispatched miles that you receive as a driver.

(2.) Replace you with another driver who will get the job done on time.

(3.) Increase your pay and improve your compensation package to make up for your reduction in productivity.

Which option(s) will an employer choose???

Based upon my years of business and entrepreneurial experience, I rather doubt that it will be option #3!! And, as I stated just a few moments ago, if an American driver does not want the job, then their are plenty of foreigners who are being allowed into this country to replace them.

Now, if you want to see driver's pay and compensation increase, then the way to do that is to make a CDL harder to obtain, and more difficult to keep. It also means holding trucking companies legally accountable for their misdeeds, something that is being done only in all too lackadaisical fashion now!!

Now, that will call for some re-regulation of the trucking industry, and that re-regulation has to be structured properly. Many people are opposed to government re-regulation, and for two very different reasons; The upper echelon of the trucking industry does not want to see a return of re-regulation, because they know what it would cost them. Others don't want to see a return to re-regulation, because they are either not aware of the fact that deregulation has effectively picked the pocket of the American driver, or they don't care that it has!!

In any event, there has to be a reigning in of our immigration policies; as long as foreigners are allowed to come take our jobs, while at the same time, we allow our jobs to be shipped overseas, we will not see a resolution to this problem.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:57 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
You are not going to cure the ills of driver compensation by trying to create a "shortage" due to decreased productivity!!
Supply and demand. Welcome to Capitalism 101. :wink:

Quote:
The fact of the matter is that right now, there is no true "shortage" of drivers. Turnover rates are high because too many companies have no problem with replacing experienced drivers with inexperienced drivers.
I can agree with this.

Quote:
Decreasing productivity is analogous to trying to solve the problem by making it worse!!
Obviously the turnover rate isn't bad enough to force the carriers to do something about it, as all their attempts have been "smoke and mirrors" gimmicks. The route that the industry is taking doesn't work. It's time to try something else.

Quote:
Now, if you want to see driver's pay and compensation increase, then the way to do that is to make a CDL harder to obtain, and more difficult to keep. It also means holding trucking companies legally accountable for their misdeeds, something that is being done only in all too lackadaisical fashion now!!
What you fail to realize is that by making the CDL harder to obtain and keep, you are going to see THE EXACT thing that I am talking about - the bad drivers will leave, thereby creating a TRUE driver shortage. The shippers will panic, and start offering more money to the carriers to move their product, and the carriers will start offering more money to the drivers to hold the steering wheel.

Quote:
Now, that will call for some re-regulation of the trucking industry, and that re-regulation has to be structured properly. Many people are opposed to government re-regulation, and for two very different reasons; The upper echelon of the trucking industry does not want to see a return of re-regulation, because they know what it would cost them. Others don't want to see a return to re-regulation, because they are not aware of the fact that deregulation has effectively picked the pocket of the American driver!!
We could only hope for re-regulation of the trucking industry. I know I would welcome it. Perhaps with the introduction of EOBR's and the new HOS, we are seeing the first steps in that. If the government wants to regulate HOW we drive, then perhaps they should also regulate WHAT we get paid to do so. This is still the case (to a point) within the HHG industry, but the HHG industry is also partially deregulated (the government tells us what we have to charge, but doesn't restrict us from giving discounts on that rate).

You are saying the same thing I am, just differently.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:10 AM
Senior Board Member

[quote="Rev.Vassago"] [color=darkblue]

Quote:
Now, that will call for some re-regulation of the trucking industry, and that re-regulation has to be structured properly. Many people are opposed to government re-regulation, and for two very different reasons; The upper echelon of the trucking industry does not want to see a return of re-regulation, because they know what it would cost them. Others don't want to see a return to re-regulation, because they are not aware of the fact that deregulation has effectively picked the pocket of the American driver!!
The Rev.:

We could only hope for re-regulation of the trucking industry. I know I would welcome it. Perhaps with the introduction of EOBR's and the new HOS, we are seeing the first steps in that. If the government wants to regulate HOW we drive, then perhaps they should also regulate WHAT we get paid to do so. This is still the case (to a point) within the HHG industry, but the HHG industry is also partially deregulated (the government tells us what we have to charge, but doesn't restrict us from giving discounts on that rate).

There, on that point, I am sensing tremmors of a shift in the political and social economic pendulum. Perhaps I'm wrong; I've been wrong before, but I've also right, and, without meaning to brag, I've made a good deal of money by spotting those trends in the very early stages. I'm starting to really think that while this situation is not going to hapen overnight, the winds of change will be blowing very noticeably within the next five years.

If you look back, the pendulum began swinging back to the right in the late 70's, and became evident by the elections of 1980. Now, a little over a quarter of a century later, I see signs that the rightward momentum has all but ceased.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:25 AM
Board Regular

used to be safety man would call threatening you about your log book right after dispatcher call wanting that load run asap. and you walk the line to get the good load.once they get used to changes they probably start pushing again.they have ways of shifting liability to the driver.like cre lease. when theres an accident they have plenty of money and lawyers but they will act like they dont know you.drivers are in prison because of injury or fatal accidents
Old 01-15-2007, 02:27 AM
Senior Board Member

[quote="Rev.Vassago"]
Quote:

Supply and demand. Welcome to Capitalism 101. :wink:

Quote:
The fact of the matter is that right now, there is no true "shortage" of drivers. Turnover rates are high because too many companies have no problem with replacing experienced drivers with inexperienced drivers.
I can agree with this.

Quote:
Decreasing productivity is analogous to trying to solve the problem by making it worse!!
Obviously the turnover rate isn't bad enough to force the carriers to do something about it, as all their attempts have been "smoke and mirrors" gimmicks. The route that the industry is taking doesn't work. It's time to try something else.

Quote:
What you fail to realize is that by making the CDL harder to obtain and keep, you are going to see THE EXACT thing that I am talking about - the bad drivers will leave, thereby creating a TRUE driver shortage. The shippers will panic, and start offering more money to the carriers to move their product, and the carriers will start offering more money to the drivers to hold the steering wheel.

Quote:

You are saying the same thing I am, just differently.[/quote]

For the most part, I think that we are, but it seems that you are expressing disagreement with me, and that has me a bit perplexed.

In any event, you have deeply hurt my poor, tender, sensitive little feelings. A post like that, and only ONE measly little " :wink: "???

Coming from YOU??? :shock: :shock: The Reverend Vassago??? :shock: :shock: :shock:
I AM DEPRESSED!!! :P :P :P
Old 01-15-2007, 03:09 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
In any event, you have deeply hurt my poor, tender, sensitive little feelings. A post like that, and only ONE measly little " :wink: "???

Coming from YOU??? :shock: :shock: The Reverend Vassago??? :shock: :shock: :shock:

My :wink: button is broken.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:28 AM
Senior Board Member

[quote="Rev.Vassago"]
Quote:

The Rev.:
My :wink: button is broken.[/
quote]

Okay, I'll let it slide this time. You do that again, and you'll start and LOSE a WAR very quickly!!!
:P :P

How ya' doin, ya old buzzard??? Hope you are safe in this bit of nasy weather that has a lot of guys shut down!!!
Old 01-15-2007, 05:48 AM

No one has talked much about pre-pass. When the statement comes in at the end of the month every time, date and scale house location is clearly marked in order by date.

In Louisiana alone a driver could get a speeding ticket just going by elapsed time between scales. The pre-pass paper is something that will tell on you faster than most other methods if looked at closely enough.

Don't think lawyers and DOT won't use pre-pass, fuel tickets, scale tickets, scale cameras, and DOT highway cameras to see where you were at a given time as compared to where you say you were.

Just have a major accident that turns into a multi-million dollar lawsuit and see what happens. It can happen to anyone. Drivers don't get up with the intention of having an accident. Things happen.

Too many drivers want to keep fooling themselves into thinking this is 1967 as far as driver accountability and logging goes.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:54 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
No one has talked much about pre-pass. When the statement comes in at the end of the month every time, date and scale house location is clearly marked in order by date.
have you actually SEEN this report? Or are you just repeating what someone told you?

If you go to the Prepass website, they'll tell you that their info IS NOT shared with the DOT.... in ANY state.

Of course, there's always that "court order" angle in case of an accident, I guess.... but NOT for a speeding ticket.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:04 AM

You know, you seem to have a know it all attitude for someone who has been driving "less than one year".

Most of the post in this thread have been dead on as far as accuracy, and what can and will happen when you break the rules and get caught. But yet, you want to argue with those who have been there and done that.
You go as far as to question others experience, or if they even know what they are talking about.

It seems you are under the assumption that you can do as you want in this business, and no one will be the wiser because you have all the secrets of making things look legal, and therefore will not get caught.

That being said, here is my answer.

Yes I have seen the reports. I got one every month when I paid my Pre-Pass bill. They knew where I was better than I did.

The date, time, location, and sometimes mile marker are all listed for every time you go under a Pre-Pass receiver.

Pre-Pass may not share it voluntarily (I bet a court order would get all the information), but the information is sent to the company which uses the unit. If during an audit Pre-Pass is found to be used, you can bet the DOT has the authority to ask to see the records if they want to.

P.S. If I had not SEEN the reports, then I would not have posted the information as first hand knowledge. I am not in the practice of posting here-say unless it is acknowledged as such.