User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2007, 03:13 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I'd only take it as fast as you feal comfortable with. As for the question you asked, eather they are to cocky or they are better at judging the turn. Another thing i've found that plays a part in taking turns safely is how smooth you turn the wheel. Slow, smooth turns are less likely to cause problems than quick jerky movements (probably caused by the tension of going into the turn to quickly to begin with)
Old 01-07-2007, 06:35 AM
Rookie

On your side or dead is the answer.

I had the pleasure of a flatbed dumping his load of PVC pipes under my wheels on I-5 in northern CA. south of Dunsmuir. I was traveling northbound at 5:00am and he was headed southbound. I saw sparks coming from his truck and I was reaching for the CB to tell him he had something dragging and as he went by I saw that he was laid over on his side. THEN half of his load came after me. I dropped my CB mike, grabbed the steering wheel for a very bumpy ride and got pulled over to the side of the road. I called it into 911 then grabbed my triangles and ran up the road to put them out and to flag traffic coming up behind him to stop until the CHP arrived.. I never knew if he made it or not because his cab was upside down completely flattened to the doors.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:18 PM

Anyone see the Dole container reefer that went sailing off a mountain on the westbound side of the PA turnpike near Somerset Friday morning?

CROCS ARE NOT SHOES
Old 01-08-2007, 09:56 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterbeauford
Anyone see the Dole container reefer that went sailing off a mountain on the westbound side of the PA turnpike near Somerset Friday morning?
Yeah!! That was ME!!! I died a very painful death..... but I'm back now, cuz I'm a "supertrucker" and nothing..... I mean NOTHING..... will keep me from delivering my load! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:48 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by proffit
by theory every truck can roll over, ive seen them go over at 10mph,
center of gravity has alot to do with it, and ive driven alot of diffrent trucks. when speed is a necessity of life, i can understand the lowriders ( petes) can take the turns at 70 mph, but still the guys who run these speeds are also big time overconfident.

IF speed is something your intrested in, try hauling hogs or cattle witha low deck livestock trailer, with a low rider pete, these things are made to take corners, as long as the live stock are packed in like sardines!
uhhhh I'm not an expert by any means, but it was my understanding that the truck is not usually what rolls over. Isn't it usually the trailer that goes, then takes the truck with it? If thats the case, It don't much matter what the tractor is.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:00 PM
Senior Board Member

Smooth, you gotta stay smooth. No jerky movements...
Old 01-11-2007, 10:50 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: how do you take turns at 70MPH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterbeauford
I am still a relatively new trucker but not as new as some, been driving on and off for almost 3 years...

I have never rolled a truck, but came rather close with a top heavy van load, once and only once. I like to slow down before going into a turn, particularly a turn on a road which I have never driven before. I don't understand how guys take the same turns I have to slow down to 60-62MPH at 70MPH? Hauling light loads or what? Most of the trucks I see doing this are vans and reefers, not so many flatbeds or tankers.

If you are familiar with I80 in western PA, I saw a truck go screaming around the westbound turn before the Emlenton bridge at 70MPH yesterday, the one with yellow signs posted all over it. I had 42,000lbs of bagged flour and felt safe slowing to 60MPH before taking this turn. I just don't get it :? why run the risk? I80, especially east of here, has some nasty turns. Couple months ago a reefer rolled about the 78 milemarker going east, and a container chassis rolled where I476 meets I80. Anyone know where or what I'm talking about?
a coworker who has been "driving for 25 years and I know exactly what my truck will do" just turned his tanker full of sulfuric acid over on a curve he takes almost every day and knows how fast he can take it. He always left me behind on that road because I slow down. Guess who is the super trucker now
Old 01-12-2007, 12:32 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless
Forget about what Billy BigRigger is doing, and just focus upon driving your own truck. No one ever rolled a truck by taking a curve slower than they could have!!!
8)
Thats all that needs to be said.

Old 01-12-2007, 01:34 AM
Senior Board Member

just depends on the curve, theres areas where i`ll do 75 in a curve marked 60 (speed limit is 75) and on the other hand theres curves with no warning where i`ll do 45 in a 65.