User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2007, 01:49 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
I think it boils down to whether you want to go 5 miles per hour faster or make more money. I am not sure it will make much difference either way. Which is more important to you?
really it doesn't matter either way. I just know a lot of people are against the mega companies pushing for the 65mph so I figured that there must be a good reason and if anyone knows why than you would be the person.

Honestly I'd rather have the speed. Not super fast like over 70, but most vehicles tend to travel and packs and I like to get past the herd which I've always found to be dangerous and keep open road in front and back of me

Anyway thanks as always for your input as well as the others.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:13 AM
Senior Board Member

quote="bonzai"]i was governed at 65 for my first year and now i'm at 70 there is no difference in miles per week.the only difference is being able to pass the slower trucks and i find this to be much safer and less stressful as you are not stuck in the packs of trucks you see straining to go around each other.at 65 i was always surrounded by other trucks and had to wait for a hill to try to get around them.at 70 i seem to be by myself most of the time and i feel it is much safer and seems more like just driving than working[/quote]

Exactly my sentiments. You know when I was in the office talking with the head guy, he was telling me that you can pay extra and have the truck turned up. I don't need that I'm fine where I am but it was interesting to know.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:22 AM

If you are averaging 58 miles an hour wouldnt the obvious decision be to take the money and run?
Old 01-06-2007, 04:20 AM

if it is you truck and u make the payments there is no need for them to tell u what speed if any to govern it at just one more way the man is trying to stick it to us.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derelict77
If you are averaging 58 miles an hour wouldnt the obvious decision be to take the money and run?
High number+low number divide by 2=average.

I think there is a fine line. Personally I want the option to do 75. Does that mean I do it all the time, no. However it helps run up the mountians/hills loaded instead of crossing at 40mph. Our trucks are governed by RPM, not speed. So in 10th gear at x RPM=75mph.

It saves companies thousands due not only to fuel, but to insurance. His insurance company would knock so much off for having the governed at a certain speed.

If your average is 58 mph, that average will drop since you dont have the faster miles to make up for it.

I like a good 70-75 mph truck. It doesnt mean I hold it there, I just like to have it when I need it. Like mentioned running the plains or out west, 65 gets old real quick, and you loose good time. Running east there are so many other variables that it doesnt matter. I usually run between 65-70. Ohio, its set dead on 55-57 mph.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:48 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking Eagle
As you are new I would say take it till you have some time under your belt and have learned how to maximize the miles you can do in 11 hours then that extra 55 minutes will be handy, if you are running west (East coast nothing will help). I have a big horse with lots of gears and tall real ends and there isn't a State around that I couldn't get a ticket for more that 30mph over the limit but I have found that running the limit, or a little over, constantly, you will put on the miles. Running out of Fl. to the West coast I average 700 miles a day.
interesting to hear. I run a truck governed at 65 and still average between 630 and 650 miles per day. It always amazes me that those big trucks and big gears don't seem to get to many more miles per day, of course 50 xtra miles times 5 to 7 days adds up
Old 01-07-2007, 03:58 AM
Senior Board Member

Edited: Sorry, Double Post!!
Old 01-07-2007, 03:59 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeshock
interesting to hear. I run a truck governed at 65 and still average between 630 and 650 miles per day. It always amazes me that those big trucks and big gears don't seem to get to many more miles per day, of course 50 xtra miles times 5 to 7 days adds up

I ran a truck that was governed, but governed at a little under 80mph. It was nice to be able to run the dessert, parts of Texas, and Oklahoma at 75MPH.

Yes, additional the 50 miles per day does add up, but only if your dispatcher or F/M will give you the miles to drive, along with delivery schedules that will better allow you to maximize your speed advantage and your driving hours. In my situation, there were quite a few times where that extra speed did in fact, add up to increased miles. But, I must also point out that I had an awesome dispatcher, and a freight manager who didn't keep me sitting waiting for my next dispatch.

At the same time, with only a few exceptions, that only worked as long as I was west of The Mississippi River.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:26 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumbo1
if it is you truck and u make the payments there is no need for them to tell u what speed if any to govern it at just one more way the man is trying to stick it to us.
I got into it with the Fontana Terminal Manager over this exact same thing last year. I told him that as long as they are paying for the fuel and the taxes and the truck I will drive it the way they want it driven. But, if I am making the payment and paying for my fuel and taxes then by God I will drive the S.O.B. 50mph or 90mph depending on what kind of mood I am in.

We went round and round and I finally just agreed to disagreed and walked out.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:49 AM
Rookie

Quote:
really it doesn't matter either way. I just know a lot of people are against the mega companies pushing for the 65mph so I figured that there must be a good reason and if anyone knows why than you would be the person.

Honestly I'd rather have the speed. Not super fast like over 70, but most vehicles tend to travel and packs and I like to get past the herd which I've always found to be dangerous and keep open road in front and back of me

Anyway thanks as always for your input as well as the others.
For self insured mega companies, they do it for fuel savings and possible lawsuits. For small companies, their insurance company sets the speed limit for their trucks. (Mr. Insurance Company says set your speed on your trucks to 65mph or find another insurance company.)