User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2007, 03:29 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Antidepressant Allowed?

I'm considering truck driving as a new career. I've been taking Zoloft for over 5 years. It's never caused drowsiness or any other side effects. Will I be able to get my CDL? Will trucking companies hire me while on Zoloft?
Old 01-03-2007, 03:32 AM
Senior Board Member

It depends on the company. Some will allow them some won't.

Old 01-03-2007, 04:42 AM
Senior Board Member

I did a google on side effects. I'm not doctor, but I would guess most companies saying NO. You would have to get a doctor to say this medication wouldn't effect your driving. Good luck, but I don't see that happening.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:55 AM

I just passed a DOT physical and I take Zoloft. The physical was done by my family physician. I also have no side effects.

The DOT physical directs the doctor to make their determination based on the medication whether or not is causes the person to be unable to perform the duties.

I've been sweating this issue. I was relieved when I passed the physical. Then I read on this site that some companies require you to pass THEIR physical. I don't know if the person writing knew what the heck they were talking about or not.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:37 AM
Senior Board Member

Greg gave you the best answer possible.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:10 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie McRookerson
I just passed a DOT physical and I take Zoloft. The physical was done by my family physician. I also have no side effects.

The DOT physical directs the doctor to make their determination based on the medication whether or not is causes the person to be unable to perform the duties.

I've been sweating this issue. I was relieved when I passed the physical. Then I read on this site that some companies require you to pass THEIR physical. I don't know if the person writing knew what the heck they were talking about or not.
Most companies do their own physical. A few years ago I had 3 physicals cards at one time.

kc0iv
Old 01-03-2007, 08:07 PM

OK, I'll probably get yelled at, or at least lectured for this but...

Contrary to what recruiters and the like might tell you, drug tests do not test for every drug under the sun. DOT requires only a 5 panel drug screen, many companies will opt for the more inclusive 10 panel. If you look both of those tests up on the internet, you'll find that neither is going to find Zoloft. Take that for what it is worth and proceeed from there. Just remember, if company policy forbids something, you're out of a job if you get caught with it. Even if a drug test won't find it, it could still be spotted as a bottle sitting in your cab.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:47 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat

Contrary to what recruiters and the like might tell you, drug tests do not test for every drug under the sun. DOT requires only a 5 panel drug screen, many companies will opt for the more inclusive 10 panel. If you look both of those tests up on the internet, you'll find that neither is going to find Zoloft. Take that for what it is worth and proceeed from there. Just remember, if company policy forbids something, you're out of a job if you get caught with it. Even if a drug test won't find it, it could still be spotted as a bottle sitting in your cab.
By law the only source of information the company has is YOU! The only information they can ever get is the info you give them. That's why they had to pass unenforcable laws that "require" you to fess up.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:10 AM

Well, I'm breathing a lot easier. I contacted the company who had given me a letter of intent to hire. I openingly disclosed that I take Zoloft and asked if that created a problem with working for them. The recruiter I have been dealing with had to chedck it out and call me back. The answer I got was that it was okay as long as I took it as prescribed.

I can't tell you what a relief that bit of information was! I was afraid it would be a deal buster. :lol:

I also contacted another company I applied to (didn't want to put all my eggs in one basket). They also said the medication was okay.

Nothing else blocking me from moving forward now. Watch out, here I come!
Old 01-05-2007, 02:16 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aligator
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat

By law the only source of information the company has is YOU! The only information they can ever get is the info you give them. That's why they had to pass unenforcable laws that "require" you to fess up.
Kudo's and a tip of the hat to both Desert Rat and Alligator on this one!!!

I have a real problem with laws that penalize a driver for dealing with mental health issues.

If you disclose this information voluntarily, you will either be denied employment, or you will have to get a letter from your physician stating that she/he will not prescribe it in the future.

Desert Rat is absolutely correct; Zoloft will not appear on the DOT drug screen. He is also correct in stating that you should keep your prescription bottle well hidden.

Alligator is also correct; the only party that the tester can obtain that info from is you.

I seldom encourage someone to lie, but I do see this issue as an exception.